Police seizing cars with undeclared mods

Pretty big mod that though a 2.0ltr turbo in a small car. I can understand that being seized. Anything you put on your car be it stickers sunstrip bootbadge alloys spoilers and so on is all a mod. I'd be interested to know the full details of what they're looking for as in mods. But I'd say it was pretty easy for them to know with a check that was pushing more power than the recorded 1.4.

• Like 1

Yes mate it worked I'm just on my phone so is really small image. And that's what I'd like to see I'd say it's less likely they will want the paper work for some of the mods but depends how picky they have gotten or wanting to make example with a few.

Have they fetched a new law out sayin its against law to mod your car, if not they can not make you take them of if the car is still road worthy n able to pass mot.when I got insured on wagon they ask if it was modded, I said not yet n they told me its ok if it is but in a claim I would only get paid out for standed unless I'd told them of mods.

Changing a engine to bigger size and not declairing it to dvla then they will seeze car as its classed as fraud.

• Like 1

I know I made a post about the EU trying to pass a law about anything added to a car that was not OEM would fail an MOT  :angry: !Removed! EU and their stupid ideas they all need a slap with a bondage paddle. But it hadn't passed from my understanding, be stupid if it did. Money the car enthusiasts spend.

In that article it says he is to appear in court for road traffic and fraud offences and it says the undeclared mods mean his policy is void therefore he is driving without insurance. I guess your supposed to tell the delay of an engine swap as well not just your insurers. I don't like that they have said he had aftermarket wheels, they are clearly OEM astra gsi wheels :)

• Like 1

my ex had a punto sporting and we painted the calipers red when we changed the pads 

anwyay she got rear ended (not by me) and insurance man came out, noticed the red calipers and said it was a undeclared modification therefore not paying 

Managed to argue and got him to agree it was just paint, was there when she got it we said "its a sport model" we thought thats how they were

• Like 1

In that article it says he is to appear in court for road traffic and fraud offences and it says the undeclared mods mean his policy is void therefore he is driving without insurance. I guess your supposed to tell the delay of an engine swap as well not just your insurers. I don't like that they have said he had aftermarket wheels, they are clearly OEM astra gsi wheels :)

you didnt no you have to inform dvla if you change a engine in your car  :wacko:

insurance love any reason not to pay out. I would think the problem with that guy is he had a rather big mod in the post of facebook it lists other mods like alloys and induction kit. Not sure what the police will let you slide with but I guess we should tell insurance about all mods.

Just wondering what people prices have changed when letting insurance know? I did a google and some people went up 10% others went up nothing.

I think it's stupid thought if I fit a stainless exhaust it shouldn't put the price up as who wants to replace a blown factory exhaust with another factory one when you get lifetime warranty on most stainless. Whats next if you don't put factory tiers on it will be classed as a mod.

i dumped a c20let in a vectra years ago, was nuts 

went to reinsure it was a nightmare, needed reports etc but got their in the end and wasnt much more than the old 2.5 gsi i had 

But i left the SRi 140 badges on it, caused a stir against some scoobs

you didnt no you have to inform dvla if you change a engine in your car  :wacko:

That's what I'm saying engine number is on the logbook isn't it so dvla have to be informed I wonder if that's the part they are trying to get him on fraud charges for. He could always say he bought it like that and just thought his 1.4 was a bit nippy haha.

I had a blast in a mates 2.0l turbo nova on a drag strip, it was pushing out around 300 bhp, once it stopped shredding the front tyres in 3rd and got traction it was a rocket, still the fastest thing I've ever drove once it gets off the line!

As matt said how can they prove you didn't know it was not standard when you bought it ?

Engine change yeah you going to notice that :) And alloys but you can't declare if you didn't know. Say you have a WRX with STI alloys just using that as an example, but like the Corsa still using Vauxhall alloys I''m sure some people wouldn't have know that isn't standard.  

Your meant to disclose factory extras as well so I guess they get you that way if you say I didn't know it was a modification, I would expect some wiggle room on small mods.

I am sure a splitter or different grill might slip by even the odd spoiler.

Also comes down to how you deal with the police when stopped I think.

I have been pulled over (38 in a 30) in a polo with some basic visual mods had only been driving about 6-8 months. I just spoke to the police told them what they wanted to know and was sent on my way didn't even look over the car. I see it on road wars all the time people kick off and the police take a longer look at their car.

I've never been pulled but from experience of night's out in the town if a copper get's you it's easier to just do as they ask and be nice otherwise they will just be a real **** with you. Only ones to be careful of is the rookies wanting to prove himself or her. I find or have found most the police around here are spot on really only ever had one follow me for about 2 miles I'm sure was doing check on me but then turned off never been bothered. Not even about my front window tints. :) 

Got pulled over in a hire van once they wanted to dip for red diesel. Thought no worries I'll be away in ten mins. Three hours later they were still holding me as I was driving on my company insurance and not the hire firms cover. Cue countless phone calls to hire firm our insurance company etc etc. They couldn't work out if I was insured or not so let me go, With a producer !

I got pulled in my civic type r when I had it by a traffic cop (said he was a road side vehicle inspector) , for some illegal LED head light bulbs (got a fine and a slap on the wrist) but I had it lowered by 20mm and sat with spacers so the tyres touch the arches slightly looked really smart and tidy from my point of view, when he pulled me he had a good look around the car for more modifications but he didn't notice it and sent me on my way. I think if your driving stupid and it looks like your car is faster than normal or say with 18inch wheels instead of there 15inch wheels then that's when your going to get it taken off you.

I'm all mods declared with both the dvla and my insurance company.

if some **** hits my car I don't want to be left out of pocket for having invalid insurance and belive me the insurance companies will wiggle out of paying if given a chance .

Did have a 30 min discussion with a traffic copper one morning that pulled me over had a good look round my renny 5gt turbo and couldn't find a genuine fault. So insisted my yellow (factory fit) foglights weren't standard and they were to low . Even though there's a cut out in the front bumper for them it wasn't Until i showed him the Renault stamp on the lenses he just told me to turn them off even though it foggy (fooking fuctard)

He then tried to fine me for obscuring the rear drivers window buy hanging a shirt on ....... the "shirt hook" wtf

Who looks out of the drivers rear windows in a 2door car no one (that's why they put a shirt fooking hanger hook there)

So laid the shirt one the back seat and I asked him if I could borrow his pen......

to right his pc number down .

He said he'd let me off this time (knob jockey)

Don't get me wrong I'm glad the police are there it's just the odd few "jobs worth" that get my goat.

Was that on the wrong thread ....

Gonna have to find that rant thread later and get it off my chest lol

• Like 1

I haven't and won't be declaring my SS exhaust....it's an exhaust FFS and my car came with one. Not my fault it rotted and needed replacing

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1