300lbft Newage WRX - wanting 11's!

KG Tuning

I've owned my Blobeye WRX for 8 years now and have mainly used it for drag racing. It has so far recorded a personal best time of 12.44secs @106mph at York Raceway in cold/damp conditions. Not bad considering the 316lbft Spec C STI managed 12.8 in the heat of Japan with a race driver! 

The car has been very reliable despite poor workmanship and mapping over the years and is currently dyno'd at 332.6bhp 307lbft @1.35psi The only people I let look after my car these days are Pat Herborn and my wife!

Due to the WRX gearbox being rated to circa 350lbft I've decided to go the lightweight and efficiency route to quicker times and the mod list so far is:

Ecutek remap by Pat Herborn (dyno & road)
STI 550 injectors
STI intercooler
TD05 16g turbo
Blitz Nur spec backbox
Decat centre section
Decat DEI wrapped ported up-pipe
Cobra Sport 3" Race cat downpipe
Walbro 255l Fuel pump
NGK PFR7B plugs
JR Performance panel filter
Perrin turbo intake hose
STI intercooler hose
Silicone Turbo/Actuator vac hoses
5w40 Millers CFS Nanodrive oil
75-90 Millers CRX NT diff oil
75-90 Millers CRX NT gearbox oil
Subaru Black oil filter
Redline Water Wetter
GFB adjustable bov
Perrin Lightweight crank pulley
Short shift gear lever
Motordrive 5kg FIA custom racing seats
Aircon removed
Odyssey PC680 7kg lightweight Battery
Alternator cover removed
Airbox resonator and intake removed
Front bumper bar removed
Horseshoe brace removed
Bonnet sound-proofing removed
Boot carpet/jack & tools/jack bracket/spare wheel & clamp removed
Rear seat sound proofing removed
Boot sound deadening half removed*
Fog lights and holding brackets removed
Boot light bracket removed
Roof handle & brackets removed
Driver foot rest removed

Centre sunvisor removed
Roof strengthening plates removed
Radiator side brackets removed
Injector brackets removed
Car Stereo & holding brackets removed
Front and rear speakers removed
Ashtray and lighter removed
Polycarbonate Battery clamp
Carbon fiber pillar covers
STI boot spoiler
STI bonnet scoop
STI scoop undertray
STI strut brace
STI side skirts
17" Rota GRA lightweight alloys
Nankang 215 45 R 17 91W Sportnex NS-2R Semi Slick Tyres
TPI lightweight tuner nuts
BC Racing BR coilovers
Superpro drop links
Whiteline 22mm rear anti-roll bar
SWRD grooved disks
Ferodo DS2500 pads
WRX PRO calipers
Goodridge Brake hoses
5.1 Motul Brake Fluid

Fastest run (and back up) to date:

The car looking strangely smaller than a classic:

DSC_2139s_zps2x6fh5lv.jpg

So basically now the big question is 'can I hit 11.9 seconds without directly raising the power??!?!!?'

• Like 1

That's a good time for a 300hp newage , I only managed 13.3 in my 330hp classic . Will admit I do need the practice as I've only ever done the 1/4 mile 4 time's (and didn't want to break my daily driver lol )

I think the spec c blobeyes have lighter glass and possibly bootlids but other than removing the rear window motors I can't think of how else you'd save weight.

What about anti lag or a few more bar of boost mapped in ?

If it's not broke .....upgrade it

That is a rapid motor.

power to weight ratio way wont kill the gear box but has done quite a bit already - what is the kerb weight at the moment?

possible race gel Battery, plexiglass, carbon fibre / alloy panels, race fuel cell?

That is a rapid motor.

power to weight ratio way wont kill the gear box but has done quite a bit already - what is the kerb weight at the moment?

possible race gel battery, plexiglass, carbon fibre / alloy panels, race fuel cell?

I'd guess around 1270kg, I've just fitted a 7kg race Battery but there's a lot in the pipeline - Polycarbonate windows, carbon fiber panels, carbon fiber propshaft, boot wheelwell raising, speaker removal, lightweight tyres, lighter calipers/disks, lightweight steering wheel. I Might consider ditching the ABS. In the long run I want to dig deep into the 11's whilst raising MPG as a bonus. 

That's a good time for a 300hp newage , I only managed 13.3 in my 330hp classic . Will admit I do need the practice as I've only ever done the 1/4 mile 4 time's (and didn't want to break my daily driver lol )

I think the spec c blobeyes have lighter glass and possibly bootlids but other than removing the rear window motors I can't think of how else you'd save weight.

What about anti lag or a few more bar of boost mapped in ?

I kinda like the fact the car would beat any Stock production Subaru on the 1/4 mile and is still below the maximum power levels for the often overlooked but efficient Newage WRX. It's nice to have a bit of headroom for when the block, tyres and oils heat up to help protect the box and rods! A few 700hp+ STI's have run at my local strip and they can't improve on my 0-60foot times so it's definitely a case of making the car lighter and more efficient. 

It's kinda new territory for the WRX has most 2002-2015 Imprezas need around 380-450hp to manage the time I got on a damp cold track. I'm going to change my gearbox oil soon to Millers Nanodrive low friction oil as most of the drivetrain losses come from the clutch and gearbox oil pump apparently! 

• Like 1

I'm a proppa novice at the 1/4 [emoji4] went to both japshow weekends and a had a go last year . Really enjoyed it ,well apart from missing 3rd on 1 run and getting a 15.2 [emoji16]

It was quite a buzz [emoji41]

The uk 6 speed conversion means I cross the line in 5 th are you still in 4 th ?

I run red line shock proof oil from the states it seems to have good reviews

If it's not broke .....upgrade it

I'm a proppa novice at the 1/4 [emoji4] went to both japshow weekends and a had a go last year . Really enjoyed it ,well apart from missing 3rd on 1 run and getting a 15.2 [emoji16]

It was quite a buzz [emoji41]

The uk 6 speed conversion means I cross the line in 5 th are you still in 4 th ?

I run red line shock proof oil from the states it seems to have good reviews

It's very addictive! Handling fast doesn't interest me at all, especially with how bad our roads are so the feeling of fast 0-60mph (0-100mph on the strip) acceleration is everything.

I'm just in 4th over the line and it feels a very long gear! I have a recent vid below showing how long my 2nd and 3rd gears are but a lot of people say the 6 speed also hits 60ish in 2nd?!

If it was me

Decent rubber

Remove spoiler and skirts

Polycarbonate Windows

Carbon boot and bonnet

Alkatec ecu / Simtec

Decent turbo maybe something from md or Borg

Methanol

Activate launch control and flat foot shifting

Can get in 12s with a td04 !

• Like 1

Nice plate [emoji23] should be more appropriate on gambits car

Would a water/air heat exchanger be more beneficial that the tmic ?

Ha, it's just a photoshop. 

I've thought about a fmic, but it means added weight and more lag for general driving, my turbo doesn't kick in until 3800 as it is :( I don't really want to add more power either. 

What tyres you running ?

Suntek sport! They are ok for dry launching but I really would like a lightweight performance tyre and I'll have to do my homework. As for the boot spoiler I've agonised over removing it for the strip. 

• 1 month later...

Should design a quick release system for your spoiler, like locking clips in the boot so you can just unhook and go. That way you get to keep it for everyday use and is easy to remove for the strip ;)

On 3/3/2016 at 0:34 PM, Gaulson said:

Should design a quick release system for your spoiler, like locking clips in the boot so you can just unhook and go. That way you get to keep it for everyday use and is easy to remove for the strip ;)

Just 4 nuts! I'm still wondering if I should take it off for the 11.9 attempt. I kinda just want the car to look good on the vids!

On 3/3/2016 at 7:26 PM, savage bulldogs said:

Just read your mod list as you said the turbo doesn't kick in till 3.8k . Are you running stock headers ?

As tubular headers are lighter and increase spool over the stock cast iron ones .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

I read I'd get a hike in torque with uprated headers and I'm trying to avoid going past 310lbft. 

On 3/4/2016 at 3:45 PM, matt said:

bin the old td05 get a newer vf at least 

decent tyres 

anti lift 

I'm gonna try and find out which are the lightest tyres I can get, I really don't want to go too sticky. With just 307lbft and a long 1st gear traction shouldn't be an issue on a hot day.

I'm sure U need to ditch unsprug mass to a hive those times on 300lbft so lower arms track rod ends get aftermarket ones and wheels get the lightest you can ie team dynamics or oz and I know . This isn't unsprung but also you going to need a carbon prop

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...