1st ever scooby after 12 years of sports cars

lev1982

Hi all

My name is mark and I have just bought my 1st ever scooby. I have owned m3 evo various ford's lol.

I saw an ad on facebook for the car and £700 later I owned it lol. 

What I know about the car so far is

P reg

It has the lightweight Shell

An EJ20 engine with an import ecu the engine is a year 2000 engine

Closed deck

Baileys dump valve

Boost gauge

2 pot calipers with drilled and grooved discs

Registered as a wrx

Been looked at by a scooby enthusiast and told I got a bargain. Engine runs sweet as a nut. No taps or slaps or knocks.

On the outside its missing side skirts and has a few age related marks bumper scuffs. No rust and the chassis is straight.

It's covered 103k 9 of that in the last 6 years.

Some history with it.

Can't wait to learn more about scoobys and start restoring it to former glory. 

Screenshot_2016-01-19-23-05-20-1.png

I been spending most of the day reading the impreza wiki. I never knew how many variations of scoobys there were. Any suggestions other than a full service on what I should do? I'm taking her off the road for a few months to tidy her up. And generally make sure all is good. I forgot to mention it had a new clutch 3k ago. 

Will try to get a pic of engine bay up soon.

• Like 1

You really got a bargain there with the description youve given. Good catch. If you have no history or are unsure I'd recommend getting the cambelt done along with the service.

When it comes to parts, check out importcarparts.co.uk. They stock genuine Subaru parts without the genuine Subaru price tag. Air, oil and fuel filter for the classic can be picked up for £12.50.

It has an aftermarket induction kit on it but I think I'm gonna get an original to go back on it. The dump valve is enough noise to put a smile on my face. In all honesty I think it was a case of buyer know nothing. Seller didn't know what he had

It might end up being in daily use while fixing it up. I have got the bug after driving it to storage. I miss it already lol. But it's definitely gonna be a labour of love. Really can't wait. Spent a few hours browsing earlier and some amazing info on here. It's the little things

• Like 1

Hi n welcome ,Sounds like you've got yourself a bargain bud 👍

Always glad to here a classic being restored rather than broke for bits .

A little bit of conflicting info off the previous owner (yr 2000 didn't have closed deck )

it's a version 3 Shell which should have phase 1.5 inlet /fuel rail set up but a pic of the bay can confirm that.

My classic was just supposed to have a cat back and remap but they do get under your skin

I think the passenger rear door and boot lid are the only original bits left lol

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

Does look like a closed deck which are generally only found in 93 to 94 imprezas .

It's got a v3 /v4 phase 1.5 inlet set up which is right for the year of the car ,so it's probably got a pre 95 bottom end .

So if you need any engine bits look for gc8 v3/v4 compatible parts . Health wise a good service and a dyno run is always a good starting point imo

• Like 3

v1 to v4 heads have the same " inline " stud patterns on the heads. Whereas V5 (my 99) onwards heads are not a direct fit to v1 to v4 inlets

It's probably had a v1 my 93/94 long engine fitted to your inlet . which is not a issue I had one in my old 97 UK turbo 2000 .

• Like 1

It's got a nardi steering wheel as well. I'm slowly learning.

Without spending mega bucks what would be a reasonable expectation for bhp  on this engine.

I know with the closed deck I have a good Base for doing more but at the moment I don't want to start messing with the internals too much. (Yet) 😊😊

I have every intention of getting engine out at some point a friend has all I need to do it. Might just leave the rocker gaskets till then lol. Thanks for that. It's info like this that is priceless 

Edited by lev1982
rubbish spelling.
  • Like 1

The info I got is he bought the Shell with most bits on and had his engine put in it cause his old one had a rotten chassis. Used it for a few years then parked it up in November after getting a new car. He was going to do what I want to do with it and restore it but works away 4 days a week so decided to sell it. Was started etc but that's about it. Maybe did a few miles here and there. 

Hey nice toy to have, always loved the classic shape myself and having the lightweight Shell as you mentioned.....

good of price and a bargain for sure..... Same with my V1 STI, an old girl had mine for 9yrs and it was listed as a WRX, even tho it had the sti bit on and the sti rare plate under the hood telling me it was number 52 of 200!!! Right time, right place:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The v1sti left the factory as a wrx then was sent to subaru technica international to be hand built into a sti .hence why they have a build number and say wrx on the log book[emoji6]

Mine is the same year but a bit earlier ,when they only made 100 per month

20150605_181312_zpshfoj0ocf.jpg

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

• Like 3