Hey everyone.

Tom.87

Hi everyone, will be buying my first subaru in the next few months so I thought I'd come have a look around your forums and decided to join :) 

My names Tom and I build and restore vintage race cars, usually stuff from the 30's but now and then we'll have a 60's sports car to build :) mostly aluminium bodies and coachwork. 

I've been reading and researching for months now and I think I've hit a scooby overload lol. I started my journey looking at classics with a 4-5k budget, then obviously started seeing I could get a bug eye and possibly a blob. 

My major question is... am I gunna need a computer degree to try work on a bug eye or blob eye? My first thought with a classic is that I can look after it myself but obviously I now have newer cars in my price range the choice is crazy! 

Don't wanna go buy a classic and it cost 4 times the amount to maintain than a blob wrx for example. 

Sorry for the long post and I've cleared a good 30 pages before posting lol I know this subject must come up a lot!

Cheers 

Tom 

Hey and welcome Tom to SOC

Ive got a classic V1 STI, never really had an issue with it, if they be in the hands of a Scooby owner (proper fan not boy racer) then they will be looked and maintained well. The Classic engine is one of the stronger engines and better engines..... 

Just depends on preference on what shape and style you like and go hunt a bargain :thumbup1:

Welcome to the club. I have a few local members that say a newage(bug/blob) feel more luxury and a classic is raw. As Dan says it does depend on the life the car has had. I have a UK classic on 170+K miles and have no real issues. Couple of odd bits like wheel bearing and a gearbox oil leak. Nothing catastrophic. In comparison a friend had a blob on 88ish thousand miles which went to the breaker because of ringland failure. In the options you've shown I don't think one car is more problematic than the other. Maintenance cost are basically the same. You already do bodywork so rusty rear arches won't bother you for long.

If you're local to a monthly meet area you could pop down and have a nosey over the different cars. Trust me, we will all gladly show you around. Any excuse to show them off.

• Like 1

I use my blob day in, day out 400 miles a week in all weathers. In 9000 miles all I've needed is a puncture repair and headlight bulb! I had an oil change after 5k and I'll get it booked in again next month for a service and mot. It's easy to live with, doesn't cost the earth and puts a smile on my face :-) . Running gear wise there isn't anything majorly different between the new age and classic as far as maintenance goes, older engines more susceptible to piston slap but this was improved (not necessarily cured) on later models. Classics are meant to be more raw, new age is slightly softer but great for usability. Bugs seem increasingly rare too and have a marmite look.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the great replies, it's good to hear from actual owners :) I've just had a baby girl with my partner so my mind is swaying towards a newer one now. I can always get a classic to work on in the workshop when I feel the need for something a bit more raw! We'll see how the hunt goes! Seen a nice wrx bug with 85k and some goodies on it for 3695 and also a classic UK 2000 with 45k on the clock for 5000. Sadly I've gotta repair a crashed 1930's mg race car before I get paid haha

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They're better than a micro and fit a lot of shopping in the boot [emoji6]

Active safety is great due to the good handling and grip, and the passive safety is good due to the strong passenger cell. If you love your child you actually need a Subaru......

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks nice. I am a classic fan myself. I can't stand the blob. (Have seen one or two nicely modded that look nice. ) but bank for buck classics are great. And they seem to be going right up in value. And as before make sure it's been owned by a fan over a boy racer. It's my experience that these cars need to be maintained well. Most boy racers tune them/ modify them but don't understand the basic needs of the car. Mine will be going in for service every 3k.

So I get up early and get myself ready for a 70 mile drive, phone to say I'm leaving and the guys partner sold the car yesterday :( I was gutted. There's not many classics within 100 miles of me it seems :/

Might go have a look at this bug

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601160131485

Cheers Dan I'll deffo be in touch :) nearly got a bug eye today but I think my heart is set on a classic. Hopefully my car will sell quick so I don't have to look out for a PX. Just not sure what to go for with a 4k budget.