MY1998

leon10tagg

Hello everyone just decided to join as I hope to be starting restoration of my WRX Uk Impreza which I bought 8 years ago however it hasn't seen the light of day since. So I'll be looking for sound advice on what to look for In terms of any work that may need do to get the car into good shape.

stood for 8 years i would expect some of the typical things like rocker cover gaskets leaking, crank seals leaking, plus as said a full major service.

has the engine turned over since it was parked or is it literally sat for 8 years?

• Like 2

check for leaks on brake calipers - your seals may have gone hard - also flush the system through with fresh fluid, potential it may have absorbed some moisture over the years.

Possibly a caliper clean and check pistons are free moving

On 11/03/2016 at 6:14 AM, GeoffLeggy said:

As above and I'd probably drain the tank best you can and add fresh fuel. 

Check all hoses for signs of deterioration/hardness. A crusty hose is never good :laughing:

100%

fuel will be water **** now, wouldn;t surprise me if the fuel pump has siezed as well

Definitely don't just turn the key and try and start it , the bearings will be bone dry and you'll probably damage the bottom end .

As ghost n tidgy said a good service and fresh fuel is a good starting point to see what you have mechanically.

A timing belt check ,change of oil and a few full engine rotations by hand . Pull the crank sensor plug off then turn it over with the key ,as this will stop it starting untill the fresh oil has coated everything.

Plug the crank sensor back on and cross yer fingers , best of luck ,keep us posted and don't forget the pics [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C feel free to get stuck in and share any pictures good bunch on here all friendly.  Feel free to start your own build thread too. got some good ones you might like to look at on the forum. :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

On the plus side I bet the body and underside is in darn good shape.

If there is one thing ive learnt is ask questions, if you are unsure, read up or get the thumbs up

Up until January this year Id never added oil to an engine before.

Fast forward a few months I've changed a timing belt and routed a new hard brake line.

You'll be fine! Oh and welcome :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

On 5/21/2016 at 10:48 PM, kayzarh said:

If there is one thing ive learnt is ask questions, if you are unsure, read up or get the thumbs up

Fast forward a few months I've changed a timing belt and routed a new hard brake line.

Depends how it was stored, if it was damp it's gonna be a mess

Might have had a bowl of salt next to it to draw out the moisture.

On 5/23/2016 at 0:45 PM, Scoobyghost said:

Might have had a bowl of salt next to it to draw out the moisture.

haha, few bags of rice should sort it :d lol

• Like 1