freelander 2

Tidgy

So my daily volvo is starting to get a bit long in the tooth (167k and counting) and thinking about replacing it. I was pondering on a freelander 2.

Anyone had one, any experiences?

typical one im looking at

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606104797767?search-target=usedcars&make=land_rover&model=freelander_2&maximum-mileage=up_to_80000_miles&postcode=np131lf&sort=default&page=2&radius=1500&searchcontext=default&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=7

He didn't have it long unfortunately (My dad changes cars normally every year or two years)... , didn't have any issues with it but for such a short period of time it's difficult to say if it's reliable

Drive one myself, pretty good cars mines been ok but couple of the locals and the local garage seem to think they're time bombs with the engine's. But only issue I've found is the sunroof have huge faults if you have one. They open then won't shut so better to not use it. And leak like some skank pissing on you for some sort of sexual fetish. Maybe that's just me :huh: .  when it rains heavy. empty crisp packet helps :whistling: But other than that it's been a really good work horse pulling trailers with some weight on it. 

I would have a disco over a freelander , the freelander is a bit girly / oap apart from the hst edition 

shogun is way better , I got a l5 l200 atm and I love it 

if you want something a bit higher up and super reliable , yeti ? 

I do a fair few of these as loads around our area,

They a good earner :-) if subaru was as unreliable I would be a millionaire :-D

Potential for huge amount of faults, elec windows, sunroof, rear door window drop to open mechanism, IRD-Transfer box failure, VCU issues, dual mass fly/clutch issues, TD4 injector/pump failure. petrol engines not worth having ...

Main dislike is the 4wd system is junk, rear is geared to turn slightly faster than front so on solid surfaces/roads it front wheel drive basically & only drives rear when front slips & prop to rear turns faster activating the VCU fluid .

TD4 is not bad engine, few mods can be done & sensible remap helps power/economy, mpg pretty poor for bmw diesel, some down to aerodynamics, rest down to landrover for awful transmission design. FL2 was built under Ford ownership of LR, FL2 said to be better build quality but FL1 2002-2003 not to be overlooked if see real gem .

Would avoid petrols as they are complete junk. Auto box option not bad :-/

Got be real fussy buying these (and I mean real fussy/picky) & know your stuff so spot sign of the expensive faults easily .

Quite practical cars & huge amount for sale so not hard find odd good one .

They bit like marmite, love or hate pending whether bought a good one or the common shed .

• Like 1

Think I got lucky but you've pretty much said what the local garage said. sunroof I've disconnected at I used it about 5 times then wouldn't shut so got it closed and disconnected the electric was great for about 2 years now it's just started to leak about 3 months back. other than that pretty fault free. 

I like the look of the freelander 2.  No experience of reliabilty with them though.  My sister's partner had an original freelander, 2004 model I think - and it was a total nightmare, always in for something or another wrong.

If you can do some spanner work yourself so basics like window motors, sunroof issues & hill decent switch can be done cheap plus you got some idea on checks at purchase then can be good buy, if not clued up you buying a money pit and possibly rear prop been binned so it a 2wd Landy (common find props pulled as easy way out of vcu & ird issues)

5 door wagon is a smart looking vehicle & if 4wd is working quite capable in real off road but not helping you much on road like a proper AWD system .
I can't believe how poor the 4wd principle is on them, engineers that came up with it should be beaten publicly :-/ they revised the gearing ratio in rear diff on the late FL1 which tends help the IRD transfer box falling to bits but whole system needed binning for proper AWD . FL2 was switched to haldex rear dif which better but not great (still lots of problems, 2.2 diesel is super poor on mpg. 2003 to 2006 FL1 revised model td4 is best buy for buck if spend time buy real nice one, FL2 is serious cash for not so seriously built 4wd suv .

If find decent one they can be cheap to run & reasonably reliable with good dose of luck & good basic service maintenance .

I've used a td4 with a remap for towing & they not bad (standard power is low as Landy new transmission was soft junk) general cruising quite pleasant too, got drive with thought if want see good mpg on td4 though. I like look of them but engineering behind it was secondary school technology student quality :-)

Forester 2.0 petrol or if really doing high miles a diesel forester :-)
You do really need be doing some serious mileage to make up for diesel extra purchace expense & running/maintenance expense .

If buying a freelander i would go for late fl1 revision model 2.0 td4 & manual if want be able get sensible mpg, also tyres with superb fuel rating to help scrape extra mile or 2, 35 is common for general short running about & 45 on longer runs at sensible speed & sensible tyres
Late facelift fl1 (2004-2006) td4 top spec models are sensible money & have huge amount around which means it well under your budget and plenty to look at so will find good one if keep at it, plus you got reserve funds for possible couple issues if unlucky. td4 manuals sell easier too which handy .
fl2 is classy looking suv & has a sort of range rover class about it, transmission is bit better on these but they still get huge amount of elec & other silly faults which can make them very costly .

xtrail or cr-v are other diesel options from japan. fl2 is good visual design but not much more, I would rather try my luck with a forester diesel :-)
Have odd few people who been lucky with freelanders & missed out on big issues but have a few customers who been hit hard by it's faults & you got feel sorry for them when repair bills escalate near or in 4 figures ...