Huge top mount

problem with top mounts is as they are layed down flat you get an uneven air flow other them as more air hits the back end of the intercooler then along the front edge which,front mounts get more even air flow but has much more pipeing so,i have a front mount on my hatch but thinking of changing it to a proses west verticooler top mount as i just dont like how the frontmount looks with the pipes in engine bay,think a lot is personnal choice as both types are made for big bhp

Onto of the engine is a bad place to have something trying to cool air. once driving airflow is limited by the size of the scoop so not ideal then.

Simply put front mount is better for performance.

Its a straight fit mate.pipe on drivers side car goes through hole were your air filter box is and other side goes down front engine were your other flow tank is.you need to change airfilter to a cone induction as you ditch airbox.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You have to cut away the lower grill , back of the fog light bracket and a little bit of the lower Web of the chassis when fitting one to a classic.

Nothing a dremel won't do but I'm unsure if you need to do the same when fitting 1 to a newage , as I've only ever owned classics.

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Quality top mounts can work fine and good choice in lot of instances balanced on power & usage & maintain standard characteristic/functions, another top option is chargecooler . no point having front mount if power & usage will be cooled enough buy a top mount implementation, top mounts work better than given credit & more so for uk climate .

7 hours ago, macauleyp27 said:

Water spray system????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they have a water system where the intercooler has some nozzles or a spray bar ( I think it's nozzles) that when a button is pressed in the cockpit it sprays water over the intercooler to maybe reduce heat soak ?? You'd have to read up on it or maybe mr b or someone could chime in as I'm not really sure how good it is or when to use it

Both classic and newage sti's have the water spray system.(water bottle , water jets, switch on the dash ) .

when fitted you can set it on auto mode or manually use it from the switch .

I dare say you can fit one to any intercooler core but how you wire it in from scratch, instead of just plugging it in and flicking a switch on a sti , is beyond me I'm afraid.

As mr b says Tmic's work fine and even a fmic will suffer from heatsoak, from being close to the rad and extra ally pipework in the bay .

Mines a early 94 classic and the phase 1 inlet restricts the tmic size at about 320hp . Newage tmic's are much bigger ,especially the sti or even bigger aftermarket ones .

But I also agree with tidgy and the top of a engine doesn't sound like the best position for a air cooler .

The fact that there's a limit to a tmic hp and not for a fmic set up , makes me think, that for maximum high hp fmic is the more efficient.

Dunno at what level you sacrifice driveabilty (spool) for hp though [emoji16]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Top mount has 2 benefits.
more direct better flowing pipe route
less chance of damage from stones or parking nudges or grounding issue.

Water spray can be useful & if have aftermarket ecu it maybe controlled on throttle rpm etc.
You can get stand alone controllers which help make most of water spray system .

we see a road car at 460ish hp on recored top mount  with water spray and water injection and intake temp drops are excellent and heat soak minimal due to thermal solutions under the hood .
Newage STI tmic can handle mid 400hp easily & custom cores with water injection 500hp, classics benefit from fmic more as design limitations make it hard work improving the tmic without big changes & bigger money than decent fmic .
Thermal control under hood is important too so adding thermal barriers & improving airflow will reduce heatsoak for top mounts .
Ice in the water spray bottle does wonders too & great for drag runs when setup with controller .
Top mounts on sti newage tend be well underrated . turbo sunny had same issue but modern bar & plate max sized recored unit on those with water injection can do serious decent power and airflow on sunny core is awful compared to the impreza .

My hawk had heat issues at 400, by the time you have fannied around with heat blankets and thermal barriers etc etc you may as well just got a front mount. It's a subject thats been done to death for many years and simply put front mount is by far the best option for performance.

It's best if it needed . If you can cool efficent enough for power with a top mount then they can be best performance solution .
Some people fit them at power level that pointless .
Also have a lot of owners who don't want trim anything for front mount & keep car as stock as possible . Both solutions are best when used in right scenario .

50 minutes ago, Mr B said:

It's best if it needed . If you can cool efficent enough for power with a top mount then they can be best performance solution .
Some people fit them at power level that pointless .
Also have a lot of owners who don't want trim anything for front mount & keep car as stock as possible . Both solutions are best when used in right scenario .

Testing showed from 300bhp they allow mappers more head room, 300bhp became 320bhp due to to extra timing and such. Lag is a misconception as well, poor setup is the general cause. Only time when a front mount is pointless is on a TD04 turbo. After that its a much better solution.

It was tested back to back by jap performance mag (standard top mount, uprated top mount and front mount), plus the late great harvey smith did alot of testing and experimenting on the very subject. Problem comes down to poor airflow being cause by the scoop. Wind tunnel showed you loose a chuck of airflow into the scoop due to air ballooning.

I can't find the impreza image, but while the pic below is an svx, the areo is considerably better than an impreza and you can see you loose a section of air directly above the bonnet. Remove that from the area of the scoop and your reducign the airflow to the top mount considerably.

Sub_SVX_windtunnel.JPG

I get your point about trimming the bumpers though. personally i'd want the performance gain ;)

7 minutes ago, macauleyp27 said:

I'm just not one for cutting bits apart . Maybe if I found someone who could do it I would have a think about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No point in replacing the top mount on yours. You;d be paying alot of money to upgrade from the STI one.

Engine tuner down in plymouth are the closest place i'd use to you.