Engine build classic

Eddpilkington

Track use is a very different animal to road use, but if only occasional track then I'd go 2.5 myself.

Standard block is find up to about 450and with the right supporting mods will be fine for odd tracks days.

R3ason for the2.5 is it makes a great road engine, loads of low down grunt.

I have acl race bearings, make piston, Manley rods. Superteck valve kit in version 5 heads and a gt2871r billet turbo. Plus whole heap supporting mods like front mount and 6 speed box. Currently run ing 398bhp and 465ftlb bit eventual target is 500bhp +

Nice. Cheers for the advice. It would mainly be road use with rare track day. What management you running with that set up?  

This is now the 9th scoob and the wife has told me not to get rid of it 😂 So planning out routes to take with regards engine. As the last one was running 390bhp and owner before had spent a lot on it. That was in the 2.0 block. 

Haha I went the same route, definitely not even close. The wife got me this one. Woke me up early on Sunday and said we are off to look at a scoob.... haven't got out of bed that fast for a long time 😂

The syvecs does look good on the specs and reviews. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eddpilkington said:

Haha I went the same route, definitely not even close. The wife got me this one. Woke me up early on Sunday and said we are off to look at a scoob.... haven't got out of bed that fast for a long time 😂

The syvecs does look good on the specs and reviews. 

Sounds like a keeper :biggrin:

Agree with the 2.5 approach having low down grunt and as you are an engineer pinning the standard block to stop any potential sleeve movement would be a straight forward improvement 

Budget and driving style will have a part to play . The 2.5 has more torque and low down grunt but isn't as "revvy " as a 2ltr .

I forged my 2ltr v1 sti cdb myself for under £1.8 k including beer tokens for a machine shop 😉

Rough guide to what I did on a low budget .....

Machine shop work ...Skim all surfaces, 0.5mm over bore, valves re cut ,crank ultrasoniclly cleaned, and all components chucked through his "hot wash"

Standard ported v1 sti heads with new oe stem seals and relapped valves .

Mahle pistons, Brian crower sport compact rods ,rcm uprated oil pump , cossie h.g's , arp headstuds and big end bolts , acl bearings , kevlar timing with full belt kit , full oe /group n gasket kit and new block bolts .

I bought a second hand aps sr40 (u.s stock location gt28) for £200 and had most of the supporting mods already (fmic ,550'cc nismo injectors ect )

Once run in it made enough power to turn my 5 speed into a 4 speed (on a tdo5 16g) . Now runs the sr40 @ 359.9 hp coupled to a 6 speed conversion.

I run apexi fc ecu and avcr (sub £500) second hand which is no where near syvec's capability but at a 1/4 of the cost it works well enough for me 😉

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2