2007 STI Limited

Tidgy

So its fitted and mapped. And bejesus does or go well.

As expected it's being held back spool and top end by a few things, tmic, headers and sports cat to name a few. But man I drives well. Low down its happy as Larry just pootling round, then when  it comes on boost all hell breaks loose and it just fecks off, and keeps fecking off right up to red line.

So in the end it made 381bhp and 390ftlb, on 1.4bar 😮

Given it's a 500+ turbo and being limited it's a pretty epic result with plenty more to come.

20190402_163150.jpg

1 hour ago, ROSSCOSM said:

lockquote widgetblockquote widget

Thats an awsome result mate bet its a flyer now

cheers, yeah really please, give the jump in turbo the lag hasn;t gone up too bad, just need to save some more pennys to get the rest of the bits done haha

So interesting comparison, red is vf43 blue is the new sc46x. 

The vf43 was maxed on my car, the sc46 is on low boost setting, 1.3 with a peak of 1.4 on the road, pretty east to tell it's not even trying as there pretty much no boost drop off haha

IMG-20190403-WA0002.jpg

1 hour ago, ROSSCOSM said:

Very nice mate are you going to push the new turbo further?

Need to do a few other bits to remove some limitations before its pushed up to the full whack, plan is to go to 500.

• 1 year later...

Not been much of an update for a while now as it's hardley moved for 10 months. Been dropped of at scoobyclinic (again hahaha) for a few bits.

Rear brake backing plates are rusting through, unfortuantly this is a bit of a job as it also serves as the back of the hand brake, so it's a pretty major overhaul including bearings, possibly the abs sensors will need replacing as well.

Rear bootlid neds painting as it rusting around the badge fixings as they all eventualy do, so thats been sorted and blended into the wings.

Last thing is the front cross member/bumper carrier is also doing the usual thing fo rusting so thats being replaced. At the min not sure what route im going with that, maybe just put on a replacement one, or might have a front mount put on as this replaces it anyway, this is dependant on where the bills stands with the rest of the work.

Shall be a few weeks so shall update when i have more news.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update,

Rear end of the car has been stripped down. Given its a 13 year old car its in pretty good condition, surface rust but nothing that wasnt expected.

Replacement parts list,

Rear backing plates

Rear wheel bearings

Rear lower bolts (shall show in pic below as im not sure what the exact name for it is)

Wheel speed sensor tbc (i spoke to them sat and they hadn't tried to get them out at that point)

New handbrake assembly parts (shoes, etc)

New rear brake pads

New rear brake disks

Rest of the parts are being given a dam good clean. I was thinking about painting the hubs but water can get under the paint when it gets chipped and make the rust worse so they are just being cleaned up.

Few raw pics as they stripped it down.

IMG-20201126-WA0006.thumb.jpg.d7bd04a0af572d62aaa37ea4e4d85d3d.jpg

Nice and crusty rear hub, just needs a good surface clean but nothing wrong. Bolt between the two bars on the other hand does need reaplacing (as mentioned in the list above).

IMG-20201126-WA0002.thumb.jpg.d7765aded0cd58aa3a60d8fc886c3b5c.jpg

The backing plates are delaminating in layers with rust and as expected need replacing. Rest of the parts are borderline needing to be done so make sense to do it all while its appart and just the cost of the parts.

IMG-20201126-WA0003.thumb.jpg.11b0db433f04438d5b332ba0c92cdc69.jpg

Shall update with some mroe pics as it's put back together

• Like 1

I had the replacement backing plates powdercoated as the paint was so thin and just unwrapping them caused some undercoat to show - hopefully they will last a bit longer than as standard 

7 hours ago, Jay762 said:

I had the replacement backing plates powdercoated as the paint was so thin and just unwrapping them caused some undercoat to show - hopefully they will last a bit longer than as standard 

could do, time will tell. hubs are pretty solid chunks

IMG-20201130-WA0005.thumb.jpg.7ca253a4465e0bdea36b781d051b0e2d.jpg

one side done, other side is waiting on a bolt. wont know if the sensors are ok untill they road test it.

• 3 weeks later...

So picked it up, pretty pleased with it. I'll get some pics up when i can but its back to being ditched again as we'ev had aloiut of rain and its washed all sorts of muds and such off the hills.

Also had a slight disaster in the way home. Car shuddered and spat all sorts of stuff out the exhaust, so looks like i have given it a decat back box lol

Gonna pop it back up to see whats going on, It's got a full H+S exhaust system that i believe has a lifetime warrenty, but shall have to find out. If not shall have to get the back box swapped or maybe just see if i can get the rest of the stuff taken out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So warranty was a no go, which wasn't surprising and wasn't holding up that much hope as car has been through several hands and exhaust was 8 years old.

A replacement like for like 3 inch inlet, 3.5 Inch tip was order and I went up today to get it fitted.

And thats when plan A went pear shaped. As it was never measured and i ordered it over the phone i didnt check the size and it's actualy a 2.5 inch system on it. Not sure why RA motorsport put a 2.5 inch in it, but unfortunately ment couldn't be fitted. The inside of the existing one is a mess of twisted mesh and fibreglass that won't come out.

Ended up with a quandary of what to do. Options where try to bodge the backbox on, reorder a 2.5 inch or just go balls deep and get a full inch downpipe and center section then remap to suit.

So yes, as I'm sure most suspect, I went with the balls deep lol

I've currently got a stock sti backbox on it so Its drivable.

3 inch decat downpipe, 3 inch resonated center have been ordered, the 3 inch backbox is already there and then can have the map tweaked to suit.

Looks to be 1 to 2 week then around as they don't Keep them on the shelf and are made to order.

Shall then get the car back up to clinic for fitting and map tweak

Should get a few more horses put of the car due to removing the restriction of the cats so shall post up the graph when i get it.

2 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Worth it in the long run

yeah, i was kinda hoping to get to 500 on the sports cat as im getting old and like it quieter lol

Will give a god idea on the gains from 2.5 sports cats to full 3inch decat, although will have a resinator in it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So got back from clinic, and just about thawed out, duck me it was cold lol

Results are in and I'm pretty pleased with it. 

The boost went up slightly (about 2psi iirc, although forgot to get afr/boost graph so will confim) without any input from the mapper, map was generally the same other then a minor tweak in fueling.

It gained 25bhp, 15ftlb and a nice amount of spool.

I'll get the bhp/father graph up tomorrow as it doesn't seem to want to take it straight from my phone.

• 9 months later...

Seems to be a regular thing at the moment, buddy of mine locally has just had his done, usual story when they started getting in behind the paint it had gone up past the replacement sill line so they were into fabrication

3 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Seems to be a regular thing at the moment, buddy of mine locally has just had his done, usual story when they started getting in behind the paint it had gone up past the replacement sill line so they were into fabrication

Yeah, they all go eventually, just hadn't expected the bill 🙄

Semi good news is it looks lime only one side needs doing.