Mikkel Jensen

Hello,

I own a Subaru WRX STI from 2007, Hawkeye, I live in Denmark and I'm currently looking for a EJ25 bare block engine. No pistons, no nothing and untouched.

I'm looking to get this untouched EJ25 engine block mounted with forged pistons to make a bit more power and to future proof my car and put the current engine on the shelf.

If you have one laying around with no cracks then please contact me.

Kind regards Mikkel, from Denmark.

TalTcDrqNIxUK4ojwjWn7koAnTJcQOg-0KpPHVmu

Hello Jay

Thank you very much, got my STI only 4 months ago and I've read all the horror stories about the ringlands. I'm not willing to risk that!
So I'm looking for this new engine block to fit it with all new parts and forged pistons to future proof myself and then I'll have my current one as spare. 🙂

I'm not going to go all out and build a crazy beast, so I think the Semi closed is the way to go! 

Ive got an IAG Stage 2 Tuff brand new in the box imported from the USA.

Stage 2 Tuff Short Block Includes:

• Case Halves - Brand new Subaru OEM case halves, bored and honed to 99.75mm.
  • Pistons - Manley 99.75mm Platinum Forged Pistons with .210" steel pins
  • Connecting Rods - IAG Spec H-Beam / ARP2000 Rod Bolts.
  • Rod / Main Bearings - ACL or King Race bearings.
  • Crankshaft - Standard New Subaru Nitride Treated 2017+ STI Crankshaft.
  • Case / Main Bolts – Standard FHI Subaru case bolts.
  • Like 1

Hello LucidDream,

I think this is a bit over budget for me. I also need to get oil pump, water pump etc.
So unless you have a REALLY good price, then I'm not sure it'll work. ;o I can see it costs 3500 dollars from IAG themselves.

I'm guessing you're not gonna sell it for much less than that 😛 

Hello Jay!

Unfortunately that's also a bit over budget, I appreciate it though!

My budget is around 4000 euro - Plus/minus 500 euro. I have to get everything else aswell, oil pump, timing belt, pistons, etc.etc.etc. ;o 

So I was hoping for something a bit cheaper. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

Could try a reputable breaker like matt baker at  "mbdevelopments" on Facebook , I'd still recommend getting a second hand block checked and honed if you're fitting new pistons. 

If your build is standard spec ? You could try luke at "import car parts" as they can supply new oe subaru "crate engines"  and a new ej207 sti bottom end can be good for 450 hp in standard guise 😉

Can your old block not be overbored or better still (as tidgy said) sent to alyn at a.s performance to be closed deck converted and machined to the spec you're after .

@Tidgy I tried visiting their website, but it seems to be under construction! 😮 Do you know if they ship to Denmark?

@Jay762 Isn't it a bigger project to convert a 2.5L STI Hawkeye to a 2.0L? Either way, doesn't seem like the seller is sending to Denmark.

@Savage_Builldogs That's my plan. Getting a used EJ25 and basically build a new engine. Hone it, new stronger pistons, new, new, new. 🙂 I got a guy here in Denmark willing to do the things needed and I even save money on the parts (pistons, oil pump etc.) buying them through him. 🙂 

I can't seem to find the "crate engines" you're referring to, if its the blocks they're selling then it's rather expensive, ontop of that i'll also need to get it into Denmark, which is why I'm looking for a used one.

My current block works just fine, no issues - The reason I'm not honing this and doing the build on this one is because of the build time. I would have to be without my baby for a month or more! 😞 

This is the link to the new block Savage is referring to.

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=9596&cat=96&sub=183&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

The engine rebuilds are similar, irrespective of bore a used block will need decking, bore check hone then assembly. You could take a 2.0 out to a 2.3l using appropriate components and a bore

there is a chap (Dave Millward) breaking a wrx on facebook but the engine has developed a knock (based in Oxford UK) - I can see if he has a price for this??

I have built a few 2ltr ej's but haven't dealt with the 2.5 ltrs but from what I've read... 

2.5's generally suffer from either ringland or headgasket failure .main causes of ringland failure from a engineering point of view are ....

ring gaps being to tight, pistons swelling too much due to the material they're made from or the tune (det ,running lean ect). 

Headgasket failure causes ....

overboost (excessive cylinder pressure)

Overheating. 

Or lack of "clamping area" (generally a open deck issue) 

It depends on your target power and intended usage but if you definitely want to "future proof" id seriously consider the closed deck conversion . As this supports the cylinder bore sleeves and increases the "clamping area" for the headgaskets. 

Alyn at "as performance " would be well worth a email ,as he can undertake all machine work in house to the spec required ready to just build  and possibly supply the block .

@savage bulldogs Yeah, that's why I want to make sure mine doesn't turn out that way - Getting a new one, honing, fitting better pistons and headgasket. 
From what I've read it seems all STI's from after 2000'ish have a Semi-closed block.

My target is 350 at this time, but with some room to grow. I just got the car 4-5 months ago, not ready to do too much to it. 🙂 So daily fun driver!

Do you know which price range a.. Let's say EJ25 semi-closed honed to 100mm - Slamming something like this in: https://www.advancedautomotives.com/subaru-impreza-ej25-forged-engine-rebuild-kit-500bhp-stage-2-sti-wrx-avcs-9014-p.asp?  (suggested by the guy doing the swap)

My problem is buying a completely rebuilt engine for a rather big amount of money and shipping it to Denmark - We have these ridicoules tax and shipping prices which could lead to a really nasty surprise. ;o

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

I have built a few 2ltr ej's but haven't dealt with the 2.5 ltrs but from what I've read... 

2.5's generally suffer from either ringland or headgasket failure .main causes of ringland failure from a engineering point of view are ....

ring gaps being to tight, pistons swelling too much due to the material they're made from or the tune (det ,running lean ect). 

Headgasket failure causes ....

overboost (excessive cylinder pressure)

Overheating. 

Or lack of "clamping area" (generally a open deck issue) 

It depends on your target power and intended usage but if you definitely want to "future proof" id seriously consider the closed deck conversion . As this supports the cylinder bore sleeves and increases the "clamping area" for the headgaskets. 

Alyn at "as performance " would be well worth a email ,as he can undertake all machine work in house to the spec required ready to just build  and possibly supply the block .

An interesting discussion i have to say (maybe need its own thread?)

I'm not actually sure what the ring gaps are on the 2.0 pistons and the 2.5? so you may have a better understanding than me on that.

The material is the same as the 2.0, (cast hyperwhatever since 2003) on the 2.5 so unlikley to be an issue i would say or it would have cropped up on the 2.0.

Headgasket failure could be the symptom rather than the cause, Overboost lifting the head maybe, although given wrx's and sti's are failing and stock cars i dont think thats the reason.

Heat is def a big issue. the 2.5 def runs hotter than the 2.0. But im not sure it would be enough to cause the issues.

It could well be a combination of all of the above 🙂

• Like 1

I've ran mahle pistons in my ej20 cdb for 40k miles at 360 hp , so can definitely recommend them from personal experience. I think the general opinion is that a semi closed deck is good for 450hp , so using components for that target in that deck type makes sense to me . As buying more expensive rods and pistons rated to over 500hp ,would be a waste of money .

@Tidgy  Yeah , my "causes list " for ringland failure was just from a engineering point of view and not "ej specific " 😉

I'd imagine the 2.5's bigger sleeves might also have a effect on block strength and heat dissipation ,along with the longer throw on the crank used to increase displacement. 

uk and jdm ej207's run the same piston material but fairly sure, i read the later ej20 sti twin scroll's use different material (so didn't know if the later 2.5's do too) 

I'm not entirely up to scratch on my blob onwards spec and I certainly don't have any personal 2.5ltr experience. 

If i was building myself another engine it would be a 2.5 cdb with 14mm headstuds and a 2ltr crank to "destroker" it .

As for the o.p I'd suggest to email a few companies in the uk ,to ask their opinion on whats best for your budget and target. Then price match the results ,rather than just buying off their websites 😉

Here's a few that know their subarus and will take the time to be helpful .

A.s performance. 

Advanced automotive .

Lateral performance. 

Import car parts. 

Best of luck and keep us posted 👍

couple of other things I have read contributing to ringland failure

loading the engine too much - full throttle from low revs

oil starvation through sustained high revs and / or cornering

The factory tune on standard WRX STI's running circa 296BHP running lean took some blame - particularly on No.4 cylinder - the Prodrive and 330s tune (circa 326bhp) was supposed to have addressed this in the reflash however failures still occurred - one of our short-lived members on here was reporting symptoms on his Cosworth CS400.

I dont have any issues but did have a bespoke map lined up to remove the risk of lean running

57 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

couple of other things I have read contributing to ringland failure

loading the engine too much - full throttle from low revs

oil starvation through sustained high revs and / or cornering

The factory tune on standard WRX STI's running circa 296BHP running lean took some blame - particularly on No.4 cylinder - the Prodrive and 330s tune (circa 326bhp) was supposed to have addressed this in the reflash however failures still occurred - one of our short-lived members on here was reporting symptoms on his Cosworth CS400.

I dont have any issues but did have a bespoke map lined up to remove the risk of lean running

tbh im not convinced there is one cause. I heard the map blamed before, but then remapped cars go and some unmapped don't. and a proper map is typically safer than the generic map

Oil starvation causes failures on all engines 2.0 and 2.5 

There's alot of theorys about why they go and not much hard fact.

Given it affects even the new ones then i dont think subaru have learned anything from there flaws.