Spec help needed!

JM243

Hi all,

I have a 2001/51 Blobeye Impreza WRX. A mechanic who has been working on it mentioned that it’s a wide track/widebody car and that they are slightly different to the standard WRX. I’m sure that someone on here will know how they are different aside from the obvious width difference. Can anyone outline these differences?

My main questions are:

Is it an import?

In what ways is it mechanically different from standard WRXs?

How much rarer are they than standard ones?

Any and all answers are appreciated. 

Learning about scoobies, their spec and terminology is like learning a new language lol . The only real way to tell what it was when it left the factory is to google the "model code" on the plaque under the bonnet. 

As above if it's a 51 plate it should be a bug eye as the blob eye came out in 03 .

Afaik they didn't make a wide track until blobeye (possibly 04 onwards and into hawkeye) .

Hopefully @Tidgy will spot this ,as his newage spec knowledge is far better than mine .

Saying that a previous owner could have swapped the front end ,as a mate had a 02 bug with a hawk front end .They could've also fitted the parts to make it a wide track conversion too .

Generally jdm spec is normally slightly better and if it's not seen to many salty winters in the uk , they're generally cleaner underneath too .

So look for the "model code" and give it a google , then post up what it is and a pic of your scoob ,then hopefully we'll be able to help a bit more , bud .

Although with a smaller offset wheel ,you would probably be able to tuck the tyres under standard arches .It would defeat the point of a widetrack conversion. So here's a pic of the rear end of a standard widetrack ,to show the visual cosmetic difference due to the rear arch "trim" 

Screenshot_20190816-213009_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Learning about scoobies, their spec and terminology is like learning a new language lol . The only real way to tell what it was when it left the factory is to google the "model code" on the plaque under the bonnet. 

As above if it's a 51 plate it should be a bug eye as the blob eye came out in 03 .

Afaik they didn't make a wide track until blobeye (possibly 04 onwards and into hawkeye) .

Hopefully @Tidgy will spot this ,as his newage spec knowledge is far better than mine .

Saying that a previous owner could have swapped the front end ,as a mate had a 02 bug with a hawk front end .They could've also fitted the parts to make it a wide track conversion too .

Generally jdm spec is normally slightly better and if it's not seen to many salty winters in the uk , they're generally cleaner underneath too .

So look for the "model code" and give it a google , then post up what it is and a pic of your scoob ,then hopefully we'll be able to help a bit more , bud .

Although with a smaller offset wheel ,you would probably be able to tuck the tyres under standard arches .It would defeat the point of a widetrack conversion. So here's a pic of the rear end of a standard widetrack ,to show the visual cosmetic difference due to the rear arch "trim" 

you called,,,, haha

wrx wont be a widetrack, and widetrack didnt come in till 2005, i think you need a new mechanic.

• Haha 2