Overheating

adarm

Hey buddy, it was a fully forged engine, I got it with 12k on it, done about 8k, so engine only done 20k...why the fudge did it break...I have spent 10k in a year, ffs... the invoice below will show what's been put in it...and loads more... slowboy is gonna skim the heads, new gasket on it and put a forged air induction kit... at present its 345bhp...if I'm gonna spend 2k may as well make it faster I suppose [emoji85][emoji3166][emoji1690][emoji882]8bbbbaa87a17a97dbd22c984a55686c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Prob cos of who mapped it,,,,, sorry tongue in cheek joke, i wouldn't trust the clown to map my toaster, but reality is it could be nothing to do with that.

Second hand engines are just that, you don't know how it was treated before you got it. I would always a have a fully rebuilt engine so its a know thing. But that said could be any number of reason from human error during assembly or just mechanical failure.

what ever happens it's worth stripping it to fully and assess whats gone, could be more than just headgasket, if it is as its had a hard life could find the bearings are worn etc.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tidgy said:

Prob cos of who mapped it,,,,, sorry tongue in cheek joke, i wouldn't trust the clown to map my toaster, but reality is it could be nothing to do with that.

Second hand engines are just that, you don't know how it was treated before you got it. I would always a have a fully rebuilt engine so its a know thing. But that said could be any number of reason from human error during assembly or just mechanical failure.

what ever happens it's worth stripping it to fully and assess whats gone, could be more than just headgasket, if it is as its had a hard life could find the bearings are worn etc.

You just cannot help it can you. If I look up any mapper I can find a nightmare story or someone who has an opinion. Racedynamics, Rawl, Scoobyclinic is there anyone that can be trusted. It is a nightmare if you read all the posts about mappers. Must be a !Removed! job sometimes if your asked to map a bad build and something happens on the dyno and it reflects badly on the mapper. 

@adarmBad luck about the motor. Hope you back up and running soon.

• Like 1

Thanks bro...it was race dynamics, before the map I even asked if they could check internals to see if any damage had been done, not that I drive the car hard at all just to me on the safe side... appreicate your comments dude :) well it's being fixed at present so fingers crossed

What sort of boost pressure and power was it running?

Although the receipt says mahle pistons and Williams rods , I think the ej205 casings would be open deck afaik ? .If so , they might limit reliability at high hp or boost pressure . 

If the bottom end is ok and it doesn't need to be run in again , I'd probably get a dyno check done when you get it back .

At least you'd know it's running healthy and if not why not .  As it could've been a sensor , intake leak or map parameter that caused the failure first time round and it would give you piece of mind to know it's not going to do it again 😉

Sorry to hear it sounds a bit more expensive but hopefully you'll soon be able to not worry about reliability and start enjoying the scoob 👍

• Like 2

That's really interesting post dude, thank you for that :) it's running 1.3bar at present... spoke to slowboy (neil) today, and he said it all looks fine, so just head gasket replacement, and a map I believe...so £1600 later, I will have my fixed car friday...oh great, it's raining for the next 6 months [emoji1787][emoji1690]