First time buyer

Daryl

Oright folks just looking to pick your brains a bit I'm a first time scooby buyer an am looking for impreza wrx estate been eying one up for a while an seen you can pick them up from around 2000 just looking for a bit of advice what to look out for what price range etc

No idea about the Wagons but the usual. Service history, regular oil changes, when where the tyres rotated etc.... What I do know is that if you neglect these cars they will bite you. I look for things like cheap tyres etc... If they have cheap tyres then the owner has probably been cheap running it which does not usually work with a Scooby. Tyres should be the same all round and each axle the tyres should be evenly worn. If a mismatch of tyres walk away. You can tell a lot from the owner. If they have every receipt and documents then they probably looked after the car. At £2000 I presume it will be high mileage and if a 2.5 then the head gaskets are a concern. Have these been done? What mods if any? blow off valves are a no no in my book. Not needed unless you have serious power. Common sense I suppose.

Yeah top of my budget is 4k found a few 05s with full history etc between 85 an 110 thou on the clock, what is high for these motors? I spose it's like hens teeth finding one that hasnt been thrashed, checked the mot's online, I've read that the 2.0 engine is more reliable than the 2.5 any truth in that? I'd guess the way to go would be to find one with as little done to it as poss?

That's a big plus for me the tax it's a big difference that, I'm just not to buy a money pit the car I've got nows been absolutely bomb proof golf estate been well looked after hate to go from that to a **** heap..

Yes I have a 2007 Hawkeye and it does hurt a little paying the tax. I only do 5-6K miles a year so terrible value for money.

These cars are fairly expensive to run unless you do the work yourself. Thirsty too, 22mpg round town. 28 is best on a motorway run. Full tank (£65) can vary between 200 -300 miles. I have dealt with Subaru dealerships that do not have a clue (caught on dashcam) so if not doing the work yourself a good mechanic that knows Scoobies is a must also. Hard to find.

I can imagine that being sore on the old sky rocket like, the price ya pay for a fun car though I spose, not sure i can afford this to be honest, may be a bit unwise to buy a car I cant afford to keep running especially if the age range I can afford is likely to be unreliable🤷‍♂️ fuel I can handle services etc but unreliability i cant do

I dont spose had chance to have a look at the links I'd put up? I wonder if I'll have more.look with it being a wagon as they're still a family car maybe more.likely to be looked after ?  Both those links are a fookin long way away from me 😅

hi mate as long as they have been properly looked after they can be very reliable cars. Ideally you want one unmodded but that’s not easy to find these days. If it’s been modded say past a cat back and hasn’t been mapped I’d be suspicious. I’d personally stick with the pre 06 models for the reasons siluro outlined. Rust is a major factor on many Subaru’s that don’t live in garages and are used through the winter. Checking rear arches, sills front radiator support etc. Servicing is a big one too make sure it’s had regular oil changes etc etc, timing belt should be done at the mileage your looking at but scan paperwork cause it’s every 50,000ish miles or 5YEARS. Awesome cars but, I’ve had two wrxs an 02 and my current 04. Biggest issues I had was corrosion cause they were/are kept outside. Parts for them aren’t crazy expensive insurance is very reasonable for what the car is and there is a great community and aftermarket that supports the brand.

• Like 1

If you look hard enough you will always find one that has been loved eventually. As Rosscosm says if you stick to the servicing and look after her she will be trouble free. This means not doing the extra 1000 miles on the oil change cause it is not convenient to you. Cam belt is also a must along with the idlers etc.. Defo worth doing the water pump if not already been done. I paid Scoobyworld just over £300 for cambelt only. I now which I had changed the lot including water pump think at 32000 miles it will be ok. Now in the cold mornings i have a squeak that quickly goes away, so temp related. May have to have an early cambelt and idlers etc to be sure.

One thing i always check for is signs of coolant splashing around the expansion tank. If HG has gone it pushes water out of this tank as it not sealed and you get coolant stains on the cam covers and surrounding plastics. If this cannot be explained walk away. HG can be a ****** to diagnose on these. If you look for horror stories on these cars you will find them and that will put you off. Bad HGs, week 5 speed etc. The 5 speed is week but how many idiots launch these constantly and expect it to last. Many vids on youtube of the fools. Mods without a map is asking for trouble. Plus it needs to be properly mapped. You will find many different opinions on the mapping/modding subject too, difficult bit is trying to sort through it all.

Cheers lads appreciate the advice, I'll just keep looking around I'm not really up on any of the mechanical side so.ill just have to use your advice best I can an hope i land a goer, so not messed with much matching tyres evenly warn  check around exp tank, service history etc, cambelt w pump n idlers, only thing is if I did see one slightly modded most of them I've seen are in used car lots cant see them knowing if it's been mapped? So say for whatever reason I picked one up that had rust issues is it a disaster? 

The Prodrive Performance Pack is fitted by subaru so you should expect to see a certificate proving it and as a bonus it’s completely legal. Same with mapping if no receipt then they are lying probably 🤣 That one looks alright in the pictures but again best to see it in person so you can look under it and shove your hand up it’s arches etc to check for rusty. The biggest downside with rust is welding costs a fortune you can get replacement panels fairly cheap if you keep it long term. These cars hold on to there value fairly well