First time buyer

Daryl

Can drain coolant by either removing bottom rad hose and thermostat or on Hawkeye there is a drain tap on bottom left of rad. Plastic tap. Careful as this tap can easily break its wings as plastic goes brittle.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:55 AM, Daryl said:

Thanks very much for the I depth tips siluro, lucky you caught them on the dashcam! An that was a dealership just goes to show you ya cant trust some garages. seems like it could be quite tedious, so is it possible I could do damage before even knowing theirs a problem? I'm gonna have to find a video with the blobeye model to see where drain off is etc, not looking forward to it tbh 😬

Take your time. You could probably do more damage changing the spark plugs TBH.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Daryl said:

Still havent got round to the plugs yet😂 this weekend, universe permitting. So what could go wrong changing plugs?

You will be fine. Worst you could do is cross thread the plugs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daryl said:

I've noticed over about 2000 miles cars used maybe like 25mm of water out the res. 🤔

The weather is colder so there will be some drop. Take it you checking when cold, in mornings? Have you checked regularly and seen it drop slowly or just once 2000 miles ago and now? Keep an eye on it. Hopefully just the cold weather.  Did you change the coolant yet?

Basically last month the lad at the garage noticed the level was on the high side an recommended removing some to make it about in inch above the min mark so did that, an this morning I checked it when the car was frosty it was bang on the line an then checked again when the sun had been on it a while an it went back to where it was so false alarm you were spot on mate👍. Gonna do plugs this weekend started it.last weekend removed the washer bottle an Battery then noticed the half inch ratchet I had was too bulky so hadto sack it off till I got a 3/8  ratchet got one now though 

Plugs done been out for a test run everything seems spot on wonder how much that would have cost at a garage 🤔. What would you lads do next service wise done engine oil rear diff plugs that's it so far. Brake fluid an rad fluid done last year. Tranny fluid?

No havent gone near the brakes yet mate that's been put back to next month waiting on a hand from the brother In law. What sort of difficulty level would you say tranny fluid is?

• 2 weeks later...

I paid Scoobyworld in Liecester to do mine last time. I had some change out of £400 if I remember correctly but that was just the belt change. Car had only done 27K then. Next time i will do the water pump, belt and the bearings and anything else like tensioner if looks worn. Kits start at £300 for all that + £100+vat for pump  so I guessing between £600-1000 next time dependant on which parts you pick, labour rates.

Do it yourself and it just parts. If I had a garage I would go at it myself. One day. It looks fairly easy if you have the right tools. I do most stuff myself but cambelt so far and it is quite nice to work on.