New member here but not a happy one 😓

Stupid question possibly but I have to ask - did you check the oil level before the drive home from Glasgow? Just trying to ascertain if it was full before the trip and burnt it off, or perhaps was low/empty before the trip.

5 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Personally I wouldn't want to keep a car that either burns a lot of oil or that the previous owner didn't check the oil levels in . As running a performance car with half a litre of oil in, would likely have caused some long term damage damage that would dramatically shorten engine life 

Does the engine look like it's been removed /cleaned ? .

If you know the engine spec and what headgaskets were used , you can see the part of the headgaskets that normally have the brand on by looking at them .As they poke out between head and block along the top of the block .

Otherwise a endoscope down the bore might let you identify the piston type has been fitted .

You probably could get your money back just through the lack of oil but if you visually check the headgaskets and they've not been upgraded as described,  I'd say it would strengthen your case for a refund .

So as this is a private sale I can only try and recoup repair work as damages. .....
I don’t think Jem Subaru have an endoscope and cameras so would need to strip the engine to see What’s in there 
also head gaskets weren’t uprated he states genuine Subaru gaskets but I’ll still have a look. 
Also the first code that came up was wastegate solenoid high input. 
I don’t know what that would mean mechanically 

2 hours ago, Greenmamba said:

Stupid question possibly but I have to ask - did you check the oil level before the drive home from Glasgow? Just trying to ascertain if it was full before the trip and burnt it off, or perhaps was low/empty before the trip.

Not stupid to ask but I was a little as I always check the oil but for some reason I didn’t as I was getting the whole explanation of the rebuild and stupidly trusted him 

although I’m my head I was thinking I should have checked it all the way home . 
he Also said he should have checked it too but what type of mechanic wouldn’t check this before selling. He said he was preparing it for pick up .. 

2 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

Cool thanks that’s very cheap I’ll see if there’s an iphone version 

2 minutes ago, Louis WRX said:

Cool thanks that’s very cheap I’ll see if there’s an iPhone version 

Probably but as it is Apple it will likely be about £300 😄😄😄

11 hours ago, Louis WRX said:

A friend of mine might have one so I’ll have a go I think. 

Cross reference the piston crown design on both the standard and the ones that are supposed to be in it . Hopefully they'll be a visual difference that you can spot easily. 

As for the boost solenoid code , this refers to the solenoid for boost control that runs off the manifold and turbo outlet vacuum pressure. 

Could try checking the small bore vacuum pipes that run from the solenoid to inlet manifold and turbo .

These sometimes crack or split due to heat cycles in the bay .

@savage bulldogs thanks for the info.Really appreciated

I’ve now re booked The car into another garage not Jem

They’ve got endoscopes Etc and they are going to do a thorough investigation.

also looking at mot history now how has he done the running in miles when the car was SORN?

It’s going to be interesting...

after filling up witH oil, I started the car and it’s definitely burning it. Smoke puffs and black oil from the exhaust ..😬

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tidgy said:

if thats the case then you unlikley to see anythign with an endoscope. WIll need a strip and inspect

I think the point of the camera is to inspect the pistons to Check if they’re forged. I’ll get a compression test and a leak down test done too before stripping the engine. But yes likely it will need taking apart 

Ok so I got the report back from perfect touch and it’s not looking good.

engine check light is for the VVT SYSTEM this time 

oil leak from the sump and the rocker cover 

Compression and leak down test.
1 95 psi =6%
2 60 psi =50%
3 80 psi = 24%
4 80 psi = 38%
When doing compression test the pressures come up slowly, looked inside barrels with camera and can see damage to barrels and lots of oil is present.

there are more issues concerning rust etc 

i have sent a letter to the seller with the report and he wants court action apparently ....

• Sad 2

Also comments were that the engine is extremely tired and on its last legs. Not in keeping with a fresh engine rebuild, one that has done 1000 miles.

sensor replaced with a piece of metal, wheel bolts too short ..... could go on 

• Sad 2

I didn't mention this b4 a friend had ra motorsport build him a 550hp type r about 5 years ago .... 

It cost him 25k and looked lovely but the engine had mismatched cams ,came on boost at 6k and only made 401hp on the dyno . 

Sounds like you've got a case for being miss sold a performance engined car that's not fit for purpose 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

I didn't mention this b4 a friend had ra motorsport build him a 550hp type r about 5 years ago .... 

It cost him 25k and looked lovely but the engine had mismatched cams ,came on boost at 6k and only made 401hp on the dyno . 

Sounds like you've got a case for being miss sold a performance engined car that's not fit for purpose 

Thanks for this information 

The car is bodged together and I’m going to go to the small claims court. I have more than enough evidence I think. 

2 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Certainly looks like the car " isn't as described " and unfit for purpose .

Sorry to hear your introduction to subaru hasn't been good and hope you get your money back ,then find a good example to enjoy 

Yeah thanks man 👍. I’ll save up a bit more and get a good un 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

@savage bulldogs how was this resolved then, do you know what happened?

Just asked him and apparently due to having different laws in Scotland, he didn't have much luck getting a refund .

He doesn't like confronting people , so tbh I don't know how hard he tried (if at all) . His car on a whole wasn't badly finished and it was just the engine that was badly built .

So he fronted the money for a local mechanic to sort it and then sold it on shortly afterwards 😏

Hopefully you'll have better luck only advice he did give ,was for you to post it on their f.b page and try to get them to respond publically .

Feel your pain - totally sucks when you buy a 'built' motor and its turns out to have been slung together and subsequently fails after a short time

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

Feel your pain - totally sucks when you buy a 'built' motor and its turns out to have been slung together and subsequently fails after a short time

Yeah man jeeeez It only did 550 miles 🤯

28 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

looking at the leak figures alone you can see the engine is otaly goosed, sorry to her 😞

hope you get somewhere with the seller

Yes it is !! My guess is he’s so desperate for the money. He could be refunding a load of SLS tickets or heavily investing in one of his many personal builds