Bonjour - New Bugeye Owner

Bugeye-Loc

Hey All,

Purchased my first Subaru 2 days ago, a 2002 Impreza STi Type UK Prodrive Style Edition.

I am new and learning along the way - expect silly questions guys so forgive me in advanced lol!

Looking forward to meeting you all when meet ups happen.

Until stay safe all and enjoy the fantastic weather!! 

Bugeye Loc.

Picture of me baby - still yet to name lol:

IMG-20200814-WA0005.thumb.jpg.84eb95ad0741547b5999792496856d97.jpg

Snapchat-1688661092.thumb.jpg.b4ab8e1f768d720e2c83a3f55064926c.jpg

Snapchat-1351680074.jpg

• Like 2

Hi n welcome,  do like a bug sti and wish I hadn't sold mine 😥

Don't see many left on the road now days , as they only made the bug for 3 years and a lot of them were broke for the factory forged 207 engine and 6 speed boxes 🙄

There's plenty of old threads with info to sift through using the search function but by all means feel free to start a fresh thread with any questions 😉

Only "silly question " is the one you don't ask and never know the answer too 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CK1 said:

I always though they were funky looking cars when they came out but now I'm driving one its grown on me fast, nice to see the love for the bug.

Funky looking cars I agree but, the best in my eyes!! ... biased I own one lol 😊

But forged engine from factory, 6 speed gearboxes .... over engineered the 2.0 Lump with the Closed Deck!!

From what read, bigger fuel pump, 3 inch exhaust all the way through and a solid remap ... got us an solid daily pushing a healthy 310/320 BHP - I do wonder if we could push more considering the forged internals...

Feel free to correct me anyone!!.. I am new to Subarus and learning along the way 😊

2 minutes ago, CK1 said:

I gotta do some research "closed deck" sounds like something my step son would say (he's int Navy) 😀 

🤣.. 

In an open deck engine the cylinders are left unsupported and stand alone from the block itself, this is great for cooling but not strength. ... Finally, a closed deck engine has metal support all around the cylinder walls near the head. This gives closed deck engines the ability to handle big power and last much longer.

over engineered 😉!

Only early 92 to 94 scoobies have a closed deck but the bug sti ej207 is one of the strongest engines subaru built .

It's a semi closed deck (500hp capable) with factory forged internals (450hp capable) . With standard injectors and turbo coupled with a better flowing downpipe, they'll generally make 340hp to 350hp when remapped . 

You'd need bigger turbo and injectors to get over 350hp and probably alongside clutch upgrade to get over the 350hp mark but a very capable engine and 6 speed gearbox (box is capable of 700hp +)

This all depends on the condition , supporting mods and mapper of course 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, savage bulldogs said:

Only early 92 to 94 scoobies have a closed deck but the bug sti ej207 is one of the strongest engines subaru built .

It's a semi closed deck (500hp capable) with factory forged internals (450hp capable) . With standard injectors and turbo coupled with a better flowing downpipe, they'll generally make 340hp to 350hp when remapped . 

You'd need bigger turbo and injectors to get over 350hp and probably alongside clutch upgrade to get over the 350hp mark but a very capable engine and 6 speed gearbox (box is capable of 700hp +)

This all depends on the condition , supporting mods and mapper of course 😉

Thanks Savage for the confirmation and the upgrade routes!!

Legend! 

• Like 1

Hehe hear you loud on FM.. cannot beat the scooby rumble and the power delivery. Not even my V70R which has been modded compares to the Bug 😉!!

Luckily the bloke I brought her from advised she has a stage 2 clutch and lighted flywheel.. save some dosh there! 

But yes, most definitely I will be looking in your builds my good sir!

• Like 1

I've contributed to a fair few threads on tech stuff , as I'm always willing to share what I've learned along the way .

Only 2 build threads though but get a cuppa coffee and a sandwich if you intend on reading the v1sti "few pics of my project so far " thread . As its fairly long but does have a couple of engine builds and vids of it putting the 382 hp worth of boost n burble down 😊.

The "v7sti type uk engine refresh" thread , is just what it says on the tin but shows a few pics of my old bug sti and the engine build 🙁 

• Thanks 1