Tyres Perishing - A Lockdown Sympton?

olliesgrandad

This morning I had my new Michelin Cross Climate+ tyres fitted to my car.

Great service and price as always from Chris Mullins Tyres in Gloucester.

As expected they have transformed the ride over the factory fit Bridgestone Duellers.

When I picked the car up Chris said I'd done the right thing changing the tyres as all four Bridgestones were starting to perish.

This really surprised me as the car was registered on 27th September 2019.

The tyres however bore a date code of 2018, even so surprise was expressed at such a deterioration in that time period.

The only thought was that as the car had been stood around outside during lockdown this may have been a reason the tyres began to deteriorate prematurely.

The moral is then that you need to keep an eye on the condition of modern tyres as they can begin to fail at a relatively young age, in this case 18 months away from the cars first MOT test!

• Like 1

I think it’s certainly true that the tyres need to rotate regularly and then when it’s parked again it’s likely that the tyre will touch the road on a different section.  Glad you like the CrossClimates.

6 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

As expected they have transformed the ride over the factory fit Bridgestone Duellers.

When I picked the car up Chris said I'd done the right thing changing the tyres as all four Bridgestones were starting to perish.

The tyres however bore a date code of 2018, even so surprise was expressed at such a deterioration in that time period.

The only thought was that as the car had been stood around outside during lockdown this may have been a reason the tyres began to deteriorate prematurely.

The moral is then that you need to keep an eye on the condition of modern tyres as they can begin to fail at a relatively young age, in this case 18 months away from the cars first MOT test!

I put Michelin Cross Climate on my wife's Insignia and had them on my last company Audi. Great tyres, don't think I would buy anything else now. Unfortunately as I have a new car I will have to wait a while and run the stock Dunlops down for a while yet...

24 minutes ago, AndyLevorg said:

I put Michelin Cross Climate on my wife's Insignia and had them on my last company Audi. Great tyres, don't think I would buy anything else now. Unfortunately as I have a new car I will have to wait a while and run the stock Dunlops down for a while yet...

The tyres I replaced only had 16,00 miles on them and were much less than half worn.

I had the same model Bridgestones on my Lexus RX450h and disliked their grip in the wet, thought I might as well bite the bullet and get some decent tyres on this one.

My wife has cross climates on her Fiat 500 (I had them on a previous Lexus RX450h 3rd gen ).

The new ones are cross climate + which supposedly have a better economy rating.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, olliesgrandad said:

I wish mine lasted long enough to Perish.

Bridgestone are not particularly good tyres, they always been known for cracking .
Duellers are not great and shame Subaru never fully moved to better factory supply tyre choices .
Tyre flexing is what helps keep it supple as releases oils throughout the rubber so possibly less than ideal stationary conditions caused the extra rapid onset of cracking .
Most times I'm doing tyres for MOT's as badly perished they always got 4mm+ tread but dry rotting and when it visually bad on the sidewall it very wise not mess about taking chances and buy new and better .
Nothing annoys me more than people who think they need awd vehicle yet happy to run on garbage tyres lol

• Like 1