Keyfob battery Low Warning

olliesgrandad

Well yesterday I was just turning off the engine when a warning came up telling me the access key Battery was low. 

So I bought a new Battery and replaced it. 

This morning I used the other fob when to my surprise the same warning message appeared.

Well I changed the Battery in the second fob. 

The next thing I'm wondering is did the batteries both really to be replaced within 24 hours or has the car developed a problem? 

Had you used the first key fob after replacing the Battery or did you just used the second fob?  I just wonder if the notification had not cleared if you had not used the first fob after the Battery change.  I think it's worth changing the batteries regularly as it's a small cost for the peace of mind.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GGMan said:

Its been a week since I first got mesage about key fob battery being low and got my second one last.
Bought a pack of these batteries and it be the second time I am chagning them

Are they good quality batteries, not all batteries are made equal.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, olliesgrandad said:

Well yesterday I was just turning off the engine when a warning came up telling me the access key battery was low. 

So I bought a new battery and replaced it. 

This morning I used the other fob when to my surprise the same warning message appeared.

Well I changed the battery in the second fob. 

The next thing I'm wondering is did the batteries both really to be replaced within 24 hours or has the car developed a problem? 

I have had this flash up a couple of times on my Levorg (2020). It has done it again since but I have just ignored the warning as it seems a bit spurious. Still using the keys and no further messages, so in future I will just leave it until it does it more than once before changing.

I'm not sure if it helps extend the key fob Battery life, but I've got in the habit of putting the fob 'to sleep' when i lock the car at the end of the day.  It's a matter of pressing and holding down the lock button on the fob while simultaneously pressing the open button twice.  The fob gives 4 short red flashes.  You can test it works by pulling at the driver's (or front passenger's) door handle.  If it works the door should remain locked despite the proximity of the fob, and you can see the alarm warning light flash as usual.

I think the fobs switch themselves off automatically after 20 mins or so when they're out of range of the car anyway.  The above trick is useful if you're camping and the tent, with the fob in it, is very near the car, as the fob will otherwise allow someone outside to open the car, possibly without your knowledge.

I had my XV for 3 years and changed the fob batteries after about 2 years in both key sets, the second Battery was still going fine when I sold the car.  (when I made the change I had a warning in one key but decided to change the Battery in both key sets)

I feel that as keys become more multi functional it's probably a good thing to changed them on a time basis, every 20 months or so.