My build/conversion project

Tlag

Managed to fit the turbo this morning.

th_73a5938ff4cb296fd1aa9a92b1c4ea39_zpse

At first glance, it looks great. Then I plonked the bare inlet manifold on top of the block and I have a bit of a problem

th_0706788fc28782cb9f5085563632f7b9_zps6

The leg of the manifold is stopped from going into place by the air inlet of the turbo. :(

I did think, when I fitted it that the turbo looked a little forward of normal. I can't see why though, the exhaust/up pipe all fit exactly, as do the brackets.

I may have to abandon my stage 1 TD05 plan and go straight to stage 2.

• Like 1

Not a great deal at the moment. The gutting part is the amount of time I've put in to getting the inlet manifold ready for this set up and the fact I had to buy the TD05 which I didn't need to do. :(

I've now got to spend time figuring out the air intake pipework for a rotated turbo set up and I need to buy an external wastegate which I hadn't planned on doing for a few months yet.

It also means that once it's built and in the car, I've got to be really REALLY careful with my right foot. :) that could be tricky.

Yeah I would be gutted I hate feeling I've wasted my time on any project never mind one as big as this one.

Well I always like to find a plus note for anything that goes wrong. So at least explaining why you needs the stage 2 now will be easier to the missus instead of a few months when its all working. [emoji6]

Hmm can't you use a single turbo legacy inlet or a impreza inlet ?

If you're gonna be running maffless what about using a top entry tdo5 or will the snorkel still foul on the manifold .

Let me know if you need any dimensions of a impreza inlet as I've got a v3 (phase 1.5) inlet sitting here .

Or just use gambits approach and run actuated (0.5 bar) boost untill she's run in :-)

• Like 1

Had a good day on the engine today.

I changed the exhaust manifold for an RCM ceramic item I had. With that fitted, the TD05 fitted perfectly. I still need a turbo to head bracket to complete that installation.

CCD61D69-BE10-422E-AE77-C92814B5A37E_zps

I then sorted out the crank/cam cover breather pipes along with the parallel fuel conversion. That LED on to finishing off the inlet manifold and fitting it.

A120A2DB-DDF5-4188-B49B-D0D92AA3CA3E_zps

It was at this point, I remembered I still need a knock sensor. It's probably going to be easier to take the inlet manifold off again to fit that.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, that's no biggy. :)

Most of what's left now is some soldering on of plugs for sensors and changing the injector plugs.

Then it's on to fitting. :)

• Like 1

Had a cracking morning today, until the rain became torrential.

Attention turned to the car itself today and prepping it for the power to come :)

Knew the weather forecast so a bit of a cover was required.

9bb75d48945739bdf08338db7f35a55d_zpsd4e0

The parts pile began to grow :)

fa870d781c48a757f2a455515aa97078_zpsad42

It was out!

288cab36fb384fd7f668b66b6d16c91d_zpsf549

Next was to remove everything I won't need later.

To access the vacuum tank and allow fitting of the FMIC, the bumper came off next

ba5177d17942cbe3c1e26d8943832ece_zps4bdf

Then all the AC parts came out followed by the black solenoid box.

I also had a very brief trial fitting of the FMIC before the heavens opened and our cover failed, so that was it for today.

• Like 1

Yes, that's the plan. I need to source some more fmic pipework. I discovered the stuff I have is from a newage and would involve cutting holes in my inner wing so I'm looking for classic stuff.

I have the temp sensor to put in the pipework already.

I know, it's getting exciting now. I've got a bit of cleaning to do in the engine bay, some wiring to install for the gauges, the fmic to sort out and then drop the new heart in.

Annoyingly, work is going to get in the way for a few days now. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was installation day. Had some electrical work to do first but then it was time. :)

2362D2F7-F10A-46B1-80AC-068BE0770121_zps

Took a little longer than fitting a standard lump as the exhaust manifold sticks out further so dropping it in took about an hour.

4C52EF87-1306-46AB-8765-21C37485C8D8_zps

And as it's a Sunday and a nice dinner was calling, that was it but here's a gratuitous pic of what's waiting to surprise unwary motorists :)

EC95FA40-A036-4024-B5ED-7312087CD8F6_zps

And, yes, I know the thermostat is missing .

• Like 1

I was originally thinking of a wide arch job but the panels are really REALLY expensive and they are for an Impreza so need cutting to fit the Legacy. Plus, I'm really not sure how that look would work with a front bumper so I'm still in the thinking stage.

One thing I do know though. At some point it will have a respray. There are a lot of very small chips in the paint and one wing dosnt match as it had some paint at some point in its life and it's the wrong shade. Apparently if you just apply the cashmere yellow, over the original yellow, it's too dark. It needs to be put over a white base.

I'm also considering changing the colour very slightly. One particular model of Legacy, the S-edition was available to special order in yellow. It's only one shade darker than cashmere but with a metallic clear coat, so it shines more. I've done some research and now know the colour code so that's a possibility. :)

• Like 1