My build/conversion project

Tlag

Other than saving a tight bend in the IC pipework, I'm not sure what benefits that would have. Although, it would have saved me a lot of time when I first installed everything.

I'm thinking of going one step further. Once the car is run in and has it's full map on, it will be a maffless system. At that point, I won't need the air intake pipe under the manifold for anything. So, my idea is to mount the turbo in the inner wing, low down with a very short direct air feed via a filter so some sort.

It would make for odd shape exhaust and IC pipes but the spool up time should be minimal. I just need to weigh up the pros and cons to see if it would be worth it. As I have the 2.5 which should be really torquey, it may not be much of an improvement.

I've been thinking along the same lines as you with removing/simplifying the intake route (as im running maffless esl)

I've been thinking about using the phase 1 (v1&2) inlet and fitting a snorkel to the turbo inlet , so the intake pipe passes over the inlet manifold .

Also considered flipping the fmic core and inlet manifold to try and shorten the fmic pipework as much as possible .

Stanton you can get a early inlet converted , they blank off the oe throttle body side , fit the throttle body the other side and do the same with the icv .

You do have to relocate the alternator and extend a few wires ect as well , but it can be up n running for under £500 [emoji6]

The phase 1 inlet set up has a snorkel on the turbo (hence why early tdo's have to be converted to front entry) so the intake pipe doesn't have to run under the manifold post-1399-140743892534_thumb.jpg

Thats a pic of my brvs v1 sti when he first got it I'll try to find a better pic

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!

I heard it running properly for the first time today. :)

I had the mapper call in and sort the base map out. The fuelling was all over the place but that got sorted. Now I'm left with an air leak somewhere in the IC pipework.

With all the work that's gone in to this, that's a minor issue in my book.

Hopefully, depending how my fitness is next week, I can get this sorted and on the road.

It sounds awesome and with so much more to come, it's getting to the fun bit. :)

• Like 1

Well, the mapper paid a visit and re wrote the map to the ecu. Re calibrated the injectors and turned the key.

th_trim4D8E53AC-85E8-4B8F-BFCB-12A2460F7

And from the back;

th_trimFD6D8891-3FD5-4346-84BA-9EFCA8AB6

The exhaust note is not too impressive to be honest but I'm only stuck with this system until after the mot ;)

So, got a bit more fettling to do yet before mot, but it isn't far away now :)

• Like 1

It was probably a couple of minutes after a cold start. Once at normal temp, the revs rise and drop a tad which I think is still an air leak in the intake/IC pipework, but I can't find it .

Anyway, the mot is booked for Monday morning so we will see what happens with a few miles on it. :)

• Like 1

I see , I was running mafless on the old engine so just used the old mafless map , 380's and actuated boost to

Run in .

Have you tried spraying brake cleaner around each join (1 by 1) and listening for a rise in idle ?

And how are you getting on with your back , any better ?

I've tried the brake cleaner trick, found a couple of leaks. Tightened those and things improved but not perfect. I've not found any other leaks but my back is limiting me in what I can do.

Seeing a neurosurgeon on 2nd October and things are improving slowly so hopefully not out of action for too much longer.

Cheers for asking :)

• Like 1

Not sure what mine was only in my neck and down past the shoulder blades but was enough to keep me out for 2 days 3rd day felt better had to catch up on some work that night was done in again was off for another 5 days :( 

Well, we failed the mot :(

Only on emissions though which was expected. I've done some diagnostic work and discovered a bit of a schoolboy error. I have to confess to something. When I fitted each component, I thoroughly cleaned them all before fitting. I guess when I reassembled the idle control valve, I forgot to fit the 'O' ring in the top.

This has LED to a massive air leak which I found this morning. That's sorted now and we are leak free. As I am off on holiday on Thursday, the mapper has very kindly offered to take the car to his and have it up and running properly whilst I'm away. I'm not sure yet if he can get it mot'ed as well but in my book, the offer alone is above and beyond.

It does mean that he will be able to talk to ESL direct whilst the laptop is plugged in and get the best possible outcome. It will save him having to do a 60 mile round trip each time I call him too.

It will also mean I have something exciting to look forward to when I get back :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...