My build/conversion project

Tlag

Hahaha, I hope not :)

A good day today. Got a fair bit done but whoever said it's the small stuff that takes the time was dead one.

First thing I did was gut a legacy solenoid box and fit the Impreza three port inside it. I just think it looks neater than the individual solenoid a on show.

Then I looked at the FMIC set up. I've ordered new silicone joiners and clamps but they haven't arrived yet. Most of the morning was taken up working out what goes where, what brackets are needed, making them, painting and installing them. Then making the intercooler pipes the same colour as each other.

This is the first mock up:

B579C36F-B2C1-479C-A237-64B3BF1CC640_zps

And the IC itself:

45EE3596-D304-425A-B9EE-F83085902823_zps

Finally after much adjusting and fabricating, I got the IC to go back further which means the bumper didn't need quite so much work.

FC624F8D-D634-4BC5-879C-74E560DAF04E_zps

Then the pipes were painted:

5851A762-6160-4BB4-9D44-13EE56986385_zps

That was as far as I could go with that, so I moved on to the catch cans and fuel pressure regulator. If you've not been following, I have two catch cans. The 2.5 breaths heavier than the 2.0, so one is for the crankcase and one for heads.

3497736C-1DBA-46BF-88DE-AF4AAE2F1557_zps

Next will be plumbing the cans and the FPR up, fitting the IC pipes and radiator, then the exhaust and firing it up. Hopefully when I get the next full day on it or a couple of half days.

Here's a pic with the FMIC fitted and the bumper. Stealthy or what? :)

F9C80780-4BFB-4C76-8807-89A2027E6A67_zps

• Like 1

A few more hours spent today. It's getting closer:)

No pics today as it looks much like it did before today started.

Fitted the exhaust today so the underside is almost done. Just for the anti lift kit and 'H' brace to put on.

Made new brackets for the catch cans and FPR as I wasn't happy with the first ones. I then finished the fuel pipe system.

Thin vacuum pipe arrived so I fitted the solenoid box with the 3 port solenoid. Whilst in that area, I also fitted the brake master cylinder pitch stopped.

I have a parcel at the post office that I can't collect until tomorrow, so I'm hoping that's the IC silicone pipes so I can install those tomorrow.

I'm not happy with the position of the oil cooler so that's to be looked at tomorrow as well.

Once that's done, I can finish wiring the gauge loom up, refit the rad, oil and coolant and............. :)

looking good there - Im interested to see just how much oil ends up in those tanks after a few miles - just how much gets blown out of the breathers. Quick question what are you using to fabricate the mounting brackets?

Ok, confession time :)

The brackets for the catch cans are made of a piece of very thick angle iron with pre drilled holes in, a bit like the stuff you can make racking from but really thick.

I'm using the same stuff to make the IC brackets and much thinner stuff for the FPR.

Once it's cut to suit and painted, it works quite well.

• Like 1

Cracking day today. Got lots done. :)

The IC silicone hoses finally arrived so I could get on with the final fit of the pipe work.

I first revisited the oil cooler mountings and in the end had to change the route of the cooler pipes as my original plan put them too close to the exhaust.

So, oil cooler, front mount and radiated fitted.

CAF01D63-3A22-4B32-9A81-66947E253799_zps

Then onto the IC pipe work. Between trial fitting and today, I had fitted a brake cylinder pitch stopper. Today it became apparent that I couldn't go that as it simply won't fit around the pipes. So out that came :(

Anyway, here's the pipes fitted at last.

4195BD95-3422-4D19-8CA9-8EB96234C11B_zps

With that fitted, I found the catch can bracket put the cans too close to the pipes, do a bracket adjustment was required and then, finally for today fitted the cans and pipe work

F7A712DB-3EC8-4444-9F3C-966266480260_zps

And the air breather filters loosely fitted for now

F66D0BA0-DB20-4247-98CD-8500AE03ABE5_zps

I failed to order the pipe for the recirc valve so could be a few days before I get that. Simply forgot about it :(

• Like 2

This is no offence to the others but has been my favourite build this one to watch in pictures so far. :) 

It doesn't seem that long ago when Tlag had us in suspense about the project now here we are almost done :) 

Now the frustrating bit. I can't actually drive it anywhere at the moment. It needs a base map putting on the ecu so I can get an mot and run it in. Then I can get a full map.

I have sent the mapper an email so I just have to wait now. Although, I still have an interior to put back, bumper to cut to take the FMIC, and various other stuff. I should be able to do that while waiting for the mapper though.

Running in will be 50 miles below 2000 rpm, the next 250 below 3000rpm and the next 250 up to 3500 rpm, unless the mapper recommends a different approach.

I don't mind the running in as I'll try and get it done in 2-3 days.

• Like 2

Ok, confession time :)

The brackets for the catch cans are made of a piece of very thick angle iron with pre drilled holes in, a bit like the stuff you can make racking from but really thick.

I'm using the same stuff to make the IC brackets and much thinner stuff for the FPR.

Once it's cut to suit and painted, it works quite well.

thats why I was interested - it looks like a great job and obviously cost effective ;)

Pretty exciting now :) How long until you think you can get the mapper have you heard from him yet ?

I'm pretty sure I could get a car ran in that time :) mainly because I'm so impatient  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The mapper visited and his laptop found the ESL ecu but didn't recognise the software on it. The result is that the ecu has been sent back to ESL to investigate. It does mean the car won't be at Japshow though :(

I have managed to get on with a load of things whilst I'm waiting though.

I had to cut the inside of the bumper to accommodate the fmic. That meant, I couldn't use the fog lights either so I made some grills up and fitted them

imagejpg1_zps1509521b.jpg

And fitted it to the car before putting the headlamps and things together.

imagejpg4_zpse7faf0b3.jpg

Also finished off under the bonnet with altering the washer bottle to allow room for the fmic pipework,

imagejpg5_zps4ff5ffb6.jpg

Then attention moved to the interior. Considering I had the entire interior out to fit the new writing loom, it didn't take too long to put back together, which meant I could finally fit my refurbished steering wheel. :)

imagejpg6_zpsecff4b21.jpg

Still some more to do to get the gauges sorted but it was enough to get the base map on and now it should be totally finished before the ecu gets returned.

Still going to Japshow, but I'm going in my gen 3 GTB which is for sale. I'll put a for sale sign in it at the show :)

• Like 2

Gutted for you mate after all that work to try get it done for the show. For something out of your control to be what stopped it going :( 

But least it's looking good like a car again :) how long is it before the ECU is returned did they say ? 

That first fire up is a awesome sound :-D

And I feel your pain tlag regarding the ecu as I to have had grief with esl mapping :-(

but well done on the quick turnaround "from idea to creation" and best of luck with the ecu malarky.

once shes run in and mapped you'll be grinning again , fella