End of the road for Tax Discs

Gambit

Did you know about the road tax changes   

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know about the road tax changes ?

• Yes I'm always up to date with the new laws
    • Nope didn't have the foggiest

Drivers face fines of £1,000 if they don't get up to speed with the new rules from October 1

Car tax discs are to be scrapped in six weeks time but half of all UK drivers have no clue a survey claims.

The little circle of paper, which has been displayed in windscreens since 1921, will vanish from October 1 as Vehicle Excise Duty is brought into the modern age.

The changes were announced by Chancellor George Osborne late last year. But a survey from financial advice website money.co.uk claims 50 per cent of drivers have no idea it's going to happen.

Nearly a third of said they will not even try to find out what the new rules are, according to the poll, while six per cent think the changes are not coming into effect until next year.

Once the changes come into force, checks to see if drivers have paid their road tax will be done electronically using databases.

This comes after the number of visual checks by police and the DVLA dropped 75% since 2008.

A-car-tax-disc.jpg

Tax Change: After more than 90 years the tax disk is to be scrapped

It is estimated that motorists will be £20million a year better off thanks to the move, with businesses saving £7million in admin costs.

But drivers run the risk of fines of up to £1,000 if they don't get up to speed with the new rules.

Tax will no longer be automatically transferred with a car when it is sold, so sellers are expected to tell the DVLA immediately of the change of ownership or face fines.

Hannah Maundrell, editor in chief of money.co.uk, told the Telegraph: “Changes to the vehicle tax system are no bad thing and we fully welcome the introduction of direct debit payments, particularly for consumers who may be struggling to keep up with the soaring cost of driving.

“It will also help to eliminate the problem of people who genuinely forget to renew their tax and end up being stung with a hefty fine.

“However, I suspect the new system may experience some teething problems so drivers really need to make sure they're on top of their game.”

Some of the savings from going paperless will be passed on to motorists. The six-month road tax charge – a popular option – will fall from 10% to 5%.

Drivers will also be able to pay the tax by monthly direct debit for the first time. Fees vary according to engine size and Co2 emissions.

George-Osborne.jpg

TaxMan: Chancellor of the Exchequer George the prick Osborne announced the changes last year but half of all drivers still aren't aware

For example, a 12-month fee is currently £140 for engine sizes under 1549cc, or £77 for six months.

A Treasury spokesman previously said: “These changes mean it will be easier to tax your car, and cheaper than before to do it by instalment.”

Vehicle tax was introduced in 1888, when Queen Victoria was on the thrown and the Marquess of Salisbury was Prime Minister.

The current system of excise duty followed in 1920 and the original tax disc was introduced the next year. It was plain grey paper printed with black ink and sometimes carried ads on the back.

The tax disc went colour in 1923 and perforations were introduced in 1938, making it easier to fit into a holder. The modern design, incorporating anti-forgery measures, came in 1961.

For help with the changes, go to the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency website.

I'm not sure what to think about this. £1000 for what? lol There isn't much of a change really, we will still pay for tax discs online or at the post office, the only difference being we dont need to have one on display. 

I've read that sellers (private or non private) are not aloud to sell the car with the tax and must claim that back. So, how does that work?

comes about 20 years after some other countries...

never understand why to have some stupid paper on your windscreen to show tax paid since a simple check of your licence plate should come up with all details needed; insured?, tax paid?, MOT done?, owner?...

basically if you get pulled it will all be on a database from the DVLA, so even if these people avoid paying they will now flag up quicker, its exactly the same tbh and i believe you can still get it from the post office or so im LED to believe, but rather than paper it goes onto database.

I'm not sure what to think about this. £1000 for what? lol There isn't much of a change really, we will still pay for tax discs online or at the post office, the only difference being we dont need to have one on display. 

I've read that sellers (private or non private) are not aloud to sell the car with the tax and must claim that back. So, how does that work?

Badly I expect, makes it awkward buying used cars privately & driving them home legally & hassle sorting refunds !

As long as I see deduction in road tax due to reduced costs I would be happy as current costs & emission classes needs an overhaul ... 

• Like 1

Pretty glad I didn't buy another nice shiny tax disc holder now :)

bit more room for a nice new style SOC sticker :-)

I will be doing garage badges that have last service/MOT slip in backs to fill the void

• Like 1

Surely when you buy a used car when this comes into force,time the seller tells the dvla or tax people it would take a few days to go onto the system,so you as the buyer would drive it home and then go online and re-tax it,surely that should be how it works.Or would the seller go online immediately and inform them,and its untaxed straight away.Surely the 1st way?Or is it going to be more hassle when buying used?They haven't said how this is gonna work have they??

• Like 1

Think road tax is a massive con anyway , as the roads in England are absolutely horrendous ,and drivers are being priced off the road in every which way possible with petrol prices insurance ,just a massive joke the whole lot .......

Not allowed to call it "road tax" anymore they did away with that I think it was as far back in the 80's without telling anyone it was changed to just car tax. So not to offend any cyclists when they are blocking the roads with 4 or even five side by side and jumping lights . the old phase I pay my road tax has no meaning :D

But I agree with your comment, our roads are knackered I think they have left them to get like that with just covering up with some tar and chippings to then turn round and say they want to make them private as planned before and we then get charged to use them by the owners or companies. I think the government just playing a waiting game at the minute. By slowly putting the pieces in there jigsaw. 

Hopefully a jigsaw that never gets finished ...

Privatising the roads would be a disaster for motorists who rely on the car for daily commute & with no real practical public transport no option but a car for most :-/

I am surprised with modern liability & H&S they got away with tar & chippings for so long, plenty of funds available just not spent wisely :-/

• Like 1

How ever it works we will end up loosing out financially.......that`s how it usually happens. Governments don`t do things that won`t benefit themselves.......unless they just purposely and willfully wan`t to !Removed! up the system like New Labour and immigration.

• Like 2

Hopefully a jigsaw that never gets finished ...

Privatising the roads would be a disaster for motorists who rely on the car for daily commute & with no real practical public transport no option but a car for most :-/

I am surprised with modern liability & H&S they got away with tar & chippings for so long, plenty of funds available just not spent wisely :-/

The morons in Lancs have just tar`d and chipped a 2 lane 60 MPH duel carriageway.....about 4 miles of it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the road and there are loads more in an horrendous state.

• Like 1

I was told that sellers (both dealers and private) are not permitted to sell a car until they see proof that the car has been taxed by the new owner. Which is apparently good because you can't insure a car that isn't taxed. Although, i can't see it happening like that.

I was told that sellers (both dealers and private) are not permitted to sell a car until they see proof that the car has been taxed by the new owner. Which is apparently good because you can't insure a car that isn't taxed. Although, i can't see it happening like that.

You can insure a car that is not taxed.

Also as I have trade insurance as soon as I buy a car I can add it to my vehicle list & it insured.

This new system would be fine if simply left it like current setup but no display disc & simply verify tax amount/status via DVLA online data when buying used car.

Right tw@t about cancelling- issuing new unless they make system simple. A logical step would be a 48hr exclusion of needing car tax on new ownership as long as reason for on road travel is the delivery of the vehicle to new owners address.

If messy I will be going back to trailering cars as nothing worse than travelling several hundred miles twice just for inflexible tax & insurance systems, not very CO friendly either really :-/

• Like 2

You can insure a car that is not taxed.

Also as I have trade insurance as soon as I buy a car I can add it to my vehicle list & it insured.

This new system would be fine if simply left it like current setup but no display disc & simply verify tax amount/status via DVLA online data when buying used car.

Right tw@t about cancelling- issuing new unless they make system simple. A logical step would be a 48hr exclusion of needing car tax on new ownership as long as reason for on road travel is the delivery of the vehicle to new owners address.

If messy I will be going back to trailering cars as nothing worse than travelling several hundred miles twice just for inflexible tax & insurance systems, not very CO friendly either really :-/

oh i see.

I thought all this was a step towards stopping untaxed cars and uninsured drivers. Obviously not lol.

The morons in Lancs have just tar`d and chipped a 2 lane 60 MPH duel carriageway.....about 4 miles of it.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the road and there are loads more in an horrendous state.

Same in northampton they actually made the road worse lol loads more bumps everything ,that tar and chip is so loud ,and **** sounds like it's ripping your tyres off and in the past 2 years I have had to claim 3 windscreens because of the stone that gets left over do they have people who check the final product .....? , what happened to smooth Tarmac ...

Smooth tarmac costs to much! They did the same near me a couple of years ago,main rd,tar and chips few days later patches starting appearing,road sweep came once,day after it was done(spoke to him and due to costs he wouldn't be back again),roughly month later all of the new surface had gone-and its still like it now patches everywhere.I hate it I drive as slow as possible but others drive at 30 or more..The sound of the stones hitting your car makes me cringe!!

• Like 1

I've been saying for ages. All this ****** about fuel protests and blockading the refineries never gets anybody anywhere except !Removed! off the motorists. Just stop paying road tax....If enough of us got together and stopped paying it it would be an instant kick in the head to the treasury and wouldn't affect anyone else.

Sent from my Galaxy S 5 using Tapatalk

I think the roads are a mess pretty much everywhere. Near my parents in the peak district half the roads are shagged, full of pot holes and then patched/bodged up. 

It's funny though, councils never seem to be skint when it comes to putting speed bumps all over the place!