a few pics of my project so far

savage bulldogs

• 1 month later...

Had a day off today and the weather's nice so thought I'd carry on with treating the surface rust under the scooby before they start chucking salt on the roads .

The rear inner arches that I did last year have held up really well so I thought I'd use the same method at the back end .

It's only really got a bit of surface rust around the spot welds under the rear 1/4's near the chassis and boot Wells

20151002_102133_zpsiwhybwer.jpg

20151002_102106_zpspcsjftbs.jpg

Ground back and rust treatment

20151002_122524_zpsptpjjej8.jpg

Didn't take many pics of the rest of the stages but here's the end results after a coat of rust inhibitor based primer , stone chip and silver top coat

20151002_135331_zps5rrw0huf.jpg

20151002_135306_zps5ox19dps.jpg

Hopefully should keep the tin worm at bay for a while longer

Yeah it didn't get undersealed so I thought I'd prep ,stone chip and paint it instead .

As you can't see any rust developing under underseal and only find out its rusty when there's a hole .plus the painted top coat is far easier to keep clean with a coat of clear waxoil and regular jet washing [emoji6]

The other side isn't as bad so I just did the worst area for now

20151002_135351_zpsumc1pjhq.jpg

Unfortunately a lot of body shops will just clean the arches and fill them ,rather than cutting the rust out on the outer and inner arch [emoji19]

You've got to either catch it early and kill it off or completely cut out the heavily affected areas and replace them with new metal .

Only thing you can do to try and lesson it spreading is keep the inner arch lip clean and protect it with waxoil or I've been looking at some stuff called dytronol (I think) rust treatment . It's on eBay and comes in spray cans that you can spray on existing rust /in chassis box sections to kill rust and protect the metal .

But eventually you'll probably need to get the rust cut out and replaced to completely cure it [emoji57]

The chairman of my local forum had his uk turbo arches done ,both rear 1/4's, bonnet and front n rear bumpers painted and it cost him £3k [emoji33]

You could probably get just the 1/4's done for about half that but he gets everything done at rcm .

But it still scared me off enough to do a clean jdm reshell instead [emoji6]

The chairman of my local forum had his uk turbo arches done ,both rear 1/4's, bonnet and front n rear bumpers painted and it cost him £3k [emoji33]

You could probably get just the 1/4's done for about half that but he gets everything done at rcm .

But it still scared me off enough to do a clean jdm reshell instead [emoji6]

[emoji15] more than I paid for the car [emoji23] [emoji28] [emoji28]

To be fair I've seen that thread, it wasn't a 'bit of bodywork' more like a whole rear end restoration, work did look tip top !

Should be able to get a decent independent to do each side for around 300 ish

• Like 2

Your right stants it was a major job with inner and outer rear 1/ 4's cut off and new ones imported from Japan [emoji5]

I haven't had any body work done for ages so I could well be far off on price but I assumed that it would need work on the inner arches too

Well I was going to ask about not having them as they're pretty shabby on my car, particularly the fronts. Then I remembered I've got the hole for the air filter on one wing and one the pieces of solenoid trickery in the other, so it's not my brightest idea of the day

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

When my brv owned the this one it was running tein coilovers and it's belly was on the ground . The wide rotas occasionally rubbed the front liners so he removed em .

The wind noise was terrible and I found loads of crud wedged behind the wings when I was prepping the Shell last year (before fitting my mechanicals)

20140823_111646_zpshaf3m8et.jpg

Hence why I removed the wings ,cleaned everything up ,waxoiled and fitted the liners from the old UK Shell

• Like 1

Normally I only bother cleaning things when I'm trying not to spend money but need somthing "scooby" to do to keep hands busy and out of my pocket [emoji5]

Saying that I should have a garret gt28 ,new momo steering wheel and possibly braided fuel lines arriving soon [emoji39]