What fuel do you put in?

tom_gr7

So guys,

As I've recently got my scooby. I've not yet had the joy of filling it up.

So, what fuel gives you the best MPG? I'm getting 29ish at the moment, but i have no idea what fuel is in there. Had a full tank when I bought it.

Being a UK car, it should be opitomised for 95 octane regular petrol. Using 97 BP stuff maybe of benefit and shouldn't harm the car. Maybe worth a tankful every 5th one for instance, just to keep the system cleaned through. I wouldn't bother with vpower or tesco 99. It costs more with little benefit over the 97.

JDM cars should only be ran on 99. In Japan, the cheap nasty fuel is 102 octane and that's what they are designed to run on. 99 is our nearest, unless you live near a race track :)

Shell is overall best mileage, then tesco and if all else fails ill put bp in but my scoob runs like **** on it. always premium as well.

If you look in the handbook as well it states to not put anything less than 97 and if you want to run regular pump fuel you have to get it mapped as it can cause serious damage to your engine.

My classic was a JDM so ran it Tescos 99' the hatch sees nothing but Vpower, I get better mpg in the 2.5ltr hatch than I do in the classic by at least 2 mpg. I average about 21mpg with urban driving.

Check you tyre pressures, if they are bit low then they will screw your mpg quite badly. I run 32psi front and 30 rear.

Tesco 99, as cheap as 97 and gets you club card points lol. In theory the lower the octane the better the economy due to a higher calorific value but in a scoob put your foot down once and you've lost a potential 50 miles from that tank. Try not to worry about economy too much you'll get hung up on it and wont be able to enjoy the car the same

i've always used v-power in my cars as i get double Shell points on my card for using it, i have used normal unleaded in the past and it didn't seem to like it, if i'm somewhere without access to a Shell garage and i need fuel i will just put £10 in to get me to a Shell to fill up, i will never fill the tank as i used to though as the pumps actually suck fuel back in the pump when you get the click from filling up, you get charged for the fuel too when it happens, instead of filling i put at most £40 in, it's about £50-£55 to fill form empty iirc

Never found that Migg's, I always brim it for a full tank. The bit that holds the cap to the car has snapped so I put the cap in the trigger till it clicks, then top it up letting the air pockets out, filling it till it reaches the very top. You gate a fair few extra ltrs in the filler neck.

originally posted by Kev from ScoobyClinic on www.M-Soc.com (midland scoobies)

The Gaffer, on 11 Feb 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

Hi,

heres an example of what happens when using poor fuel..................

DSC02822_zps209c697a.jpg

Can you see it ??

DSC02823_zpsfdc812e2.jpg

You can now, that’s what’s called a ring land failure and is due to detonation caused by poor quality fuel, eventually the broken bit rattles around, wearing the bore with debris until the engine is beyond repair, signs of this already show on the piston skirt.

The images shown are a piston from a 2.5 STI hatch that the owner admitted to running on 95 and sometimes 97 octane fuel, food for thought ......

cheers

kev

• Like 1

mainly Tesco 99 or sometimes v power, I'd never use anything else.

why by a performance car and put poor fuel into it?

maths question - 95 ron is 10p a litre cheaper than 99 ron, how many litres of cheap stuff will you have to use to save up and pay for the engine rebuild?

I just filled up with Shell Vpower 

You get either 2 points per litre of Vpower or 1 point per litre of normal fuel.

I got 50bonus points for filling up with Vpower.

The rewards come through quarterly, for each 500 points you get a £2.50 fuel voucher.

Pretty fair i think :)

mainly Tesco 99 or sometimes v power, I'd never use anything else.

why by a performance car and put poor fuel into it?

maths question - 95 ron is 10p a litre cheaper than 99 ron, how many litres of cheap stuff will you have to use to save up and pay for the engine rebuild?

Saw some chap filling up a 458 at my local asda recently. I just looked and thought why ? Then i clocked the horrible black/yellow paint he'd decided to 'customise' it with. Said it all really.

It's come down to 1.36 where i am at the mo :-D

Like you say the collecting Shell reward points off set the 6p difference.

Got last statment and i've put 400 litres in, in the last 3 months. When you see it like that it seems alot but breaking it down it works out about 20quid a week

I know most of this conversation is about petrol, but can I drop in about diesel as I know there's a few people with diesel subarus. An AA engineer told me he has had to go to several breakdowns involving the diesel virus, with diesel there has to be a percentage if biodiesel I'm all diesel, if there is any moisture in your tank you can get fungal growth that will clog you filters, cause you car to stall and required either a complete stream clean of the fuel system including the tank or drain it and park it for 3 months.

The reason Tesco and Asda and all the other cheap fuels are cheaper is allegedly because they don't pay for the cleaners to prevent these fungus growths whereas the mainstream companies do, the fuel is exactly the same it's just the additives that are different.

We now only use Shell Diesel but apparently any of the mainstream suppliers are ok (BP esso etc) just stay away from the supermarkets is what I was advised.

Anyway I through that out there for anyone interested

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Didn't know that!

If people want to keep fuel costs down, why not use 99ron (£1.40 a litre) and mix with 20% meth (1.00 a litre) ? Averaging only £1.30 a litre, so cheaper too.

Great bang per buck and cheaper too (will need a map tweek though)

great post about the diesel bio contamination - happens a lot on marine diesel, you are right that prevention is the best way as cleaning out your system is a nightmare as it has to be a properly done job other wise it just comes back again.

BG do a preventative additive that coats the tank and lines

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BG-2406-Professional-Bio-Diesel-Fuel-Conditioner-177ml-/370587139881?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item5648b6ff29

also other products can sort the issues of contamination

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bio-Medic-Fuel-Sterilizer-carlube-diesel-fuel-treatment-6x-bottles-offer-/380729959075?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58a54622a3