About the DPF

marcothio

I think most of us drive the diesel XV and I was wondering about the dpf regen. I used to do 80+ miles a day and believe that, at some point, the dpf regen would have kicked in. I never had the light come on actually. Now, my commute has dropped to 25 miles a day (b roads, doing 40-60 with stop start traffic) and I wonder whether I should do a forced dpf regeneration (i.e. Drive 70 in 4th for a while or so). 

Thoughts?

If your that worried there is a company round my way that does a dpf and carbon cleaning service , although it looks a bit crazy what they do it seems really good and comes highly recommended , the thing with these diesel dpf is to do it sooner rather than later , what may cost £200 now could save you over £1k in the future , it's worth thinking about .

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I don't do many mikes in mine at the minute but I take it on the motorway, plonk it at 65mph in whatever gear allows me about 2500 rpm stick it on cruise and sit for 10-15 mins. 

Mechanic says that doing this will force a regents cycle. So I do it once a week, never had a problem with dpf except when I was unlucky and I had 3 failed regens in a row, it throws up a warning light if you happen to halt the regen alf way by braking or something like that.

• 4 months later...

Going to hijack this thread as it's quite close to my question.

Having had a catastrophic water pump/timing belt failure on my Forester I have borrowed my dad's Citroen DS4 (it was sat idle for about 3 months) After a week of use it died, went into limp mode and has just been diagnosed as a failed diesel injector. The garage has said that it could be partly due to poor quality fuel clogging the injector and dpf. 

In the XV does anyone, or has anyone used diesel additives, such as Wynn's diesel particulate filter cleaner or diesel injector cleaner? 

I'm fairly good at putting "quality" diesel in whenever I fill the car but it's probably only 1/5 or 1/10 tanks, as my partner uses the xv as her daily and typically uses whatever diesel she is nearest. (Her commute is probably 25 mins of A roads at 45-65mph followed by 10-15 mins of city driving) I have never seen the dpf light come on when I've been driving.

Oh, the repair bill for the DS is £500+ hence the sudden squirm regarding dpf and injector cleanliness.

I’ve never used additives, I was always advised to just use branded fuels not supermarket fuels. This was the advice I also got from an AA guy who said he attends 10-15 breakdowns a week for the “diesel bug” this is a algae or fungal growth caused by the biodiesel in diesel and any water in your tank. 

If it is diesel bug, which if the car has stood for ages I’d s possibility then you’d be looking to either stand the car drained for three months so it dries out and the growth dies or steam clean the fuel tank and replace fuel lines etc. There are apparently some cleaners you can use but I’ve no knowledge about how they would work.

Branded fuels, Esso, Shell, BP etc all have additional additives to reduce this bio growth. So whilst all these people will tell you that Shell have the same fuel as say Morrison’s they won’t have the same additives as these are added at the point they fill the tanker.

the same AA guy also said that using optimax or ultimate or whatever as a regular fuel isn’t worth it but a tank of it every 5-6 tanks will help keep your engine clean because of the additional additives in it.

i personally wouldn’t recommend putting other additives in. The modern Diesel engines are pretty sensitive to fuel. It’s not like the old days where you could shove chip fat in a diesel and it’d run. 

Never run your tank to near empty, you can drag and sludge up, only use quality branded fuels, consider the odd tank of “super” diesel. 

Mad gof DPG I force a regen every other week bug taking the car on a motorway that doesn’t get too clogged with traffic, sticking it in 3rd gear at about 60mph for 20-15mins. Basically 2-2.5k rpm and over 37mph will do it, but you need to maintain a constant speed if possible. That will force a regen of you DPG. Ideal if you do quite s bit of short hops or town driving. 

There are also companies that can do a deep clean on a clogged filter, costs around £100, might be worth looking at that instead of replacement?

• 2 months later...

So I'm sat in the Subaru garage having Two recalls checked out on the orange XV (wiring harness & occupancy sensor) and got talking to the guy about oil levels and dpf's ... Apparently when running a dpf regeneration there is diesel injected into the oil which can cause the oil level to rise significantly. This is then burnt off at the DPF. Hence the need for the oil dilution reset and regular oil changes.

I'm not 100% sure how accurate our conversation was, but thought it might be of interest.

^
Diesel is not injected into the oil, during dpf regen extra diesel injections happen during exhaust stroke and diesel is burning in the dpf to heat it up and shift the soot .

certain amount of this diesel makes it way past rings more than normal and thus into the oil diluting it. some will evaporate in time with engine running.

Dilution % is purely mathematical equation by ecu logic .

Quality oil and filters and regular changes are a must on modern diesels .

I think diesel additives (cetane increase and cleaning) are important on modern diesels as is decent fuel to start with. I like the millers diesel additive .

Modern diesels are an economical and environmental joke, maintenance and reliability are high due to complex design all caused by emissions/DPF which besides collecting soot and spitting it out on the motorway does nothing but reduce potential fuel efficiency and increase long term pollution by increasing service and component material consumption on top of burning more fuel due to back pressure of exhaust and regen cycles . engineering and environment madness :-(

On 28/12/2017 at 12:11 PM, Mr B said:

^
Diesel is not injected into the oil, during dpf regen extra diesel injections happen during exhaust stroke and diesel is burning in the dpf to heat it up and shift the soot .

certain amount of this diesel makes it way past rings more than normal and thus into the oil diluting it. some will evaporate in time with engine running.

Dilution % is purely mathematical equation by ecu logic .

Quality oil and filters and regular changes are a must on modern diesels .

I think diesel additives (cetane increase and cleaning) are important on modern diesels as is decent fuel to start with. I like the millers diesel additive .

Modern diesels are an economical and environmental joke, maintenance and reliability are high due to complex design all caused by emissions/DPF which besides collecting soot and spitting it out on the motorway does nothing but reduce potential fuel efficiency and increase long term pollution by increasing service and component material consumption on top of burning more fuel due to back pressure of exhaust and regen cycles . engineering and environment madness :-(

Yep, and the government convinced us all to buy them.

• 1 year later...