Anyone Recognise This Car?

craddock

Going to look at a Blobeye Imprezza WRX on the weekend and always like to check see if anyone on the forums has any prior knowledge of the car etc

Reg is VX53 SXR

Thanks for you help all, hopefully it proves to be a good one

Luke

Just make sure any work that’s been done has proof from a reputable person. You say it’s a wrx, so cosmetically it’s had changes, lowered, scoop etc. All of it’s overpowered and still has the 5 speed gearbox, might wanna Lee your ear on it. They can handle a bit of extra, but not really over 350 hp. Just my pennies worth. Looks nice though

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sirspidey said:

Just make sure any work that’s been done has proof from a reputable person. You say it’s a wrx, so cosmetically it’s had changes, lowered, scoop etc. All of it’s overpowered and still has the 5 speed gearbox, might wanna Lee your ear on it. They can handle a bit of extra, but not really over 350 hp. Just my pennies worth. Looks nice though

It has listed that its running about 280bhp

STI REAR SPOILER, STI FRONT BONNET SCOOP, PRODRIVE FRONT SPOILER, LIGHT WEIGHT ALLOY WHEELS, COILOVER SUSPENSION, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON, RUNNING AROUND 280BHP, FULL STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST, Full service history, Clean bodywork, Interior - Excellent Condition

That's part of the dd minus the other crap they fill them with

280hp should be fine on the gearbox, I’m running 285hp and I know of other that are higher. But having said that, my gearbox needed a new tail shaft bearing and the car was only at 250hp when I got it. So just keep you ear on it for any whines. And the two things that stand out there are coilovers, nothing against them but it might indicate racing? And what does it mean by straight through exhaust. How many cars are left? Could be an issue at the next mot unless you have a ‘friendly’ mot tester.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sirspidey said:

280hp should be fine on the gearbox, I’m running 285hp and I know of other that are higher. But having said that, my gearbox needed a new tail shaft bearing and the car was only at 250hp when I got it. So just keep you ear on it for any whines. And the two things that stand out there are coilovers, nothing against them but it might indicate racing? And what does it mean by straight through exhaust. How many cars are left? Could be an issue at the next mot unless you have a ‘friendly’ mot tester.

Looking at the pictures of the engine bay the coilovers look like they are dampening and camber adjustable so hopefully not cheap rubbish and like you said hopefully not used for racing

Will keep my ears open for whining though, really appreciate that as well as smoothness of the box in general

I was thinking the same about the exhaust, hopefully it has a sports cat at least if the ones from the downpipes have been removed as well.

Really appreciate your help Sirspidey

Luke

No worries bud. I’m no expert, but I’ve picked things up fast. Also if what Stuart has put above about the mot advisory is true, be very careful. Scoobys do tend to rust at the back end. If it’s been camouflaged, might cost more than the car to get it repaired. One bit of advice, you need to forget what it looks like from the outside. The pic you posted makes it look great and many would buy it on that alone. I’ve done that on cars and then had many problems. Also you should check how often it’s had oil changes. Some people will change it every 2-3k others longer, but (depending how it’s be driven) every 4-5k would be fine. I do mine around that, but I don’t race it every time I get in it lol.
Just use you head and not your heart, after all it’s a scooby, so it’s probably been raced around a bit. That’s what they are for lol

• Haha 1

Thankfully I'm brutal when it comes to cars, especially as many years ago got ripped off by a garage.

Rust is a thing loved by all jap cars sadly .... used to own a 200sx and FTO V6 both fun but also prone to the rust

I've been doing some investigation work on the garage whos selling it and where it is MOT'd looks like they take all their cars but its a 45 minute drive so could be a 'friendly' test. Will be keeping my eyes peeled and being extra vigilant. Thankfully with my budget I seem to have a pool of decent looking WRX's some in more standard form as well (definitely not scared to get my hands dirty and enjoy doing my own work)

If this one doesn't turn out well I have 2 or 3 others I'm interested in as well

I will definitely find out where the remap is from thanks as I'd totally skipped over that

Well sounds like you more clued up than me.

Personally I think I’d be looking at a more standard one that’s clean with good service history. Then get it the way you want it. More piece of mind for future mods.

Good luck. Keep us up to date.

Also what area are you from?

I wouldn't say I'm the most clued up, by any stretch of the imagination. A petrol head who loves to get his hands dirty is more me haha

I've thought the same as you with the standard car and go form there, I've always done that previously. Its really unlike me to look at a modified car to be honest as like you said I like it my way and I know its done right

Will keep you updated bud and I'm from Wednesbury in the West Midlands

Luke