HOLSET 2.1 stroker legacy

turbotomo

hello everyone, this is my bg5 legacy GT.  

me%20car-1.png

FMIC

tanabe sustec pro coilovers

hks pod filter

new age coil pack conversion

halo spark plugs

sti head gaskets

aem water injection

aem AFR gauge

aem tru boost gauge

xxr 527 wheels 18"

the time has come to satisfy the urge for more power , as some will know the twin turbo sytem on a legacy GT is quite restrictive and tops out at about 340bhp with larger later modle turbos.

so a single turbo connversion is the way to go if i want to join the 400bhp club.

as my car has some kind of oiling issue, (the  oil pressure light stays on for 2 seconds after start up and knocks ever so slightly until the light goes out) and will probably start knocking any time soon , ive decided to go single and fully forged...

now then, the parts list

i geuss what you all want to see is the turbo ,  A compressor racing spec holset hy35 . it has the 10cm exhaust housing and the same 7 blade compressor as the holset hx35.

IMG_20150109_120315.jpg

why a holset you say , well there meant to be bullet proof , designed for high boost diesel engines and will run 30+ psi for 200k no problem. plus there a quarter the price of a garrett and can be rebiult for very little.  the yanks use them on everything, dsm boys love them and alot of single turbo supras use holsets with great results , and ive read they spool faster than there garrett equivalent.. plus i dont think theres a single subau in the uk running one..so wtfn

they are quite big though here it is next to a VF16 off a legacy

IMG_20150109_115819.jpg

i want to mount the turbo like this and have the bonnet scoop as the cold air feed , but it will be tight against the master cylinder

Screenshot_2015-01-05-20-53-0801.png

• Like 2

the block has been pinned , rebored and honed for 92.5mm pistons , had a rear thrust conversion. its also got piston oil squirters..

IMG_20150325_201112.jpg

Edit , crank is heat treated not nitrided , STI 79mm

IMG_20150206_221030.jpg

conrods are roger clark H section , with ARP CA 625+ bolts

IMG_20141201_111043.jpg

IMG_20150411_152215.jpg

IMG_20150411_152201.jpg

• Like 1

the pistons are mahle power pak plus 2618's , theve been cut to clear the oil squirters

IMG_20150325_201354.jpg

IMG_20150325_201344.jpg

head studs are ARP CA 625+ 

IMG_20150109_120942.jpg

Cosworth head gaskets and kevlar cam belt.

IMG_20150109_121254.jpg

King racing XPG bearings , designed for EJ series engines ,  coupl of sets so i can mix n match to get the oil clearances spot on

IMG_20150411_170152.jpg

Lovely looking build you've got there i used the same pistons but deleted the squirters instead ,liking the headwork as well [emoji106]

A friends skyline runs a diesel truck turbo it goes like stink from low down in the revs i assumed it was due to the larger hotside . to be honest i need to read up a bit more to understand compressor flow charts and the differences larger hotsides and matched upipes make .

i take it your going custom rotated with the turbo pipework will you flip the fmic core as well ?

Keep the updates and pics coming bud [emoji6]

to go in the heads ive got full supertech valve train , 

stainless nitrided intake valves

inconel exhaust valves

dual springs and titanium retainers

IMG_20150206_212535.jpg

V1 intake manifold, shaved , reverse throttle body and a fuel pressure gauge mount.

(paints not brilliant so i may redo it)

IMG_20150404_214212.jpgIMG_20150404_214220.jpg

fuel lab regulator and billet high flow fuel rails will feed lateral performance 1000cc dual spray injectors

IMG_20150411_173324_1.jpgIMG_20150206_223152.jpg

theres a 255 lph pump in tank which will fill a 2ltr swirl pot , then a sytec 5 bar pump and bosch hi flow filter to feed the rails via parallel 6an lines..

• Like 1

Lovely looking build you've got there i used the same pistons but deleted the squirters instead ,liking the headwork as well [emoji106]

A friends skyline runs a diesel truck turbo it goes like stink from low down in the revs i assumed it was due to the larger hotside . to be honest i need to read up a bit more to understand compressor flow charts and the differences larger hotsides and matched upipes make .

i take it your going custom rotated with the turbo pipework will you flip the fmic core as well ?

Keep the updates and pics coming bud [emoji6]

thanks, holsets are meant to spool super fast , i think its something to do with diesels not reving high..

fmic will be fliped and run the pipeing under the headlights to try and reduce as much of it as possible.

up pipe will look something like this , fab it straight from the 4 into 1 header

Screenshot_2015-01-05-20-52-0401.png

Great thread will be following this one - I hope the sum of all those great parts meets your expectations - you are going to have a really nice setup there :)

That's a cracking build mate.The Holset turbos are cracking units and are bullet proof.I can get Holset turbos from scanias for £200 in different sizes.In a daily car 300bhp is more than enough for the roads,yours is gonna be mental.Whats the weight of your car

Thanks lads,

Dont expect this to be completed anytime soon , it's taken the past 7 months to get these parts together and it will probably take another 7

I've got a list of parts in my head and I save up for one part at a time , then tick it off the list

I think the car weighs about 1500 kg with driver and fluids

• Like 1

Yes, the holset has a stupid small internal gate , I will be welding it shut.

I've got a turbosmart ultragate 38 , but I'm 99% sure its a copy.

Will look somthing like this

DSC_1890_zpsb8d7421b_1.jpg

going to mod the turbo exhaust housing by cutting it down and welding a 3.5" Vband to it to give me a bit more room. Will post up what Im doing in couple of weeks..

• Like 1

Hi, nice build mate I was running the hy35 on a forged 2.0 it was awesome, power delivery and spool was unbelievable for the 2.0 I got a bit carried away with the boost considering I had a OBD and the cylinder wall gave way was great upto that point though haha. Currently saving up for a stroker kit, managed to get hold of a cdb that's been machined for 2.5 crank and 14 mm head studs but ran out of cash. Will be keen to see what results you get, awesome looking legacy btw I just got one the other day for penuts but got no engine.

• Like 1

Ooo , that's not good.

Glad to see someone else has run a holset on a subaru in the uk. I've been thinking about using a cdb but I couldn't find one that was in good condition they were all knocking or had been rebored already, think I might have another look for one after seeing yours, don't want that happening ,,,

got some questions for you if that's OK

how Much boost were you running when she let go?

What sort of power was it making have you got a dyno printout?

How soon did it spool make boost?

What size down pipe Were you running ?

Was it a compressor racing spec turbo with the 10cm exhaust or the holset 9 cm?

Have you got a build thread on another site , shame it let go bet it was fun to drive,,

• Like 1

I was running about 2 bar when it went, think I had a cracked liner for a while though kept bubbling and pressurising after new head gaskets fitted so I knew it wouldn't last long that's why I tested the turbo at that, it hit full boost just under 3500 I have a low ratio ppt gearbox which helped top speed is 125. I used the 2.5" v band outlet and expanded it to 3" after I got the right bend out the turbo. Yes it's a compressor racing turbo think it's the 9cm. I haven't got a build thread got loads of oics etc somewhere though lol. If you need anything else just ask, I may know someone with a good cdb also will see if it's still available

• Like 1