Maybe having to say bye-bye

classic steve

Hi all. Ive just lost my company car and am having to insure a low cc car to use for work with business use. Im going to struggle to afford to insure my scooby and another car. Ive been offered a deal with a fella to swap with cash for his mark 2 mg zs 180. Cash my way. lol. The insurance on my jdm sti is 1200 a year and the mg insurance is only 250! With 2 cars insured its only 700 a year! Might seem a no brainer but going to miss the scooby so much. Any advice would be good. Steve

Sorry to see a relationship end in the terrible terrible way :( I'll just warn you though mate them MG's have massive head gasket failures worse than any car I know :(

This man is on the money I know many people who have had head gasket issues with MG's try and find one that's had it replaced and your be ok :)

James

K series engine notorious from going up in steam but if it's a different one you should be ok,

Saying that it's probably either gone and been fixed or gaskets and studs changed for uprated ones by now

The v6 engines are about the only one id touch tbh. I had a mk 1 v6 180 before but much prefer the look of the mark 2. As far as ive read the v6 head gaskets are not as prone to fail as the other k series. Im hoping to find somewhere i can get insurance a load cheaper then im keeping the scooby. A-plan are ringing me tomoz so who knows.

I've owned a ZS180 & loved it, my only advice is to make sure the cambelt has been changed, it's quite a costly job on the V6, mine cost me around £750 to get done. Listen out for ticking for in the intake plenum, the VIS motors can fail & it's a bit of a pain. Also, pop on the forums and look for the Sheddist clutch kit, the upgraded parts vastly improve the feel of the clutch, partly by removing a flimsy bracket & replacing it with a stronger item (I added a braided clutch line to mine at the same time). The plus side is they're good fun and there's no shortage of spares going & with a decent exhaust they sound (almost) as good as a Scooby! 

K series engines have a bad rep, but replace the plastic dowels with decent metal ones & a quality upgraded HG & they can be fine. My 1.8VVC lasted me a *couple years with no problems.  :)

*I sold the car after that btw lol

Not a fan of the car you would be going to just didnt enjoy it at all - as a second car option I wouldn't bother just have your work runaround and run the single car.

hammer the phone / insurance companies for a lower quote, 1200 there must be some wiggle room 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that your circumstances have changed steve ,Haven't you got any kids you can sell instead

What about adding a Tracker or a limited milage policy to bring the premium down a bit.

Maybe even sell the jdm sti and get a cheaper uk version .

Best of luck whatever the outcome bud

Don't do it a got shot of my subaru 4 years ago and regretted it soon as a drove my next car and after wasting a lot of money on cars because a was never happy a got another subaru 

Totally agree with the above statement.

Had to sell my Forester purely due to financial circumstances earlier this year.

I knew that I would regret selling her but one vehicle had to go to free up some cash and we couldn't really do without the 9 seater as it is so practical and suits our needs.

It made sense at the time as the Road Tax and insurance were both due at the end of the month so we saved quite a few hundred pounds there plus what we got for the sale of the Foz.

Once we get back on our feet I will be looking to get another Subaru estate, possibly a Legacy or Outback or another Forester.

Truth be told I have been looking around for the past few weeks and saw a few nice Legacys and Outbacks for sale but not able to buy yet, still saving up.

• Like 2

Niceone mate am sure you keeping it will be the best thing to do you could of got a car that was cheaper to run and so on but how many problems could it of give you as a found out it cost me more to keep so called cheaper cars on the road with repairs and so on and being boring drives as well