THE TYRE THREAD !

A question the that gets asked over and over again is 'what tyres are best for my car'?

So in order to try and gather some useful information on people's experiences and views on different rubber feel free to post up your brand size & opinions on the tyres you use,

Brand

Size

Approx Cost

Opinions/ pros & cons you've come across,

Any other info you feel is relevent, Tyre life value for money etc

On my 17's I had Avon ZV5s and they were pretty good, gripped in all weather but got hot quite easily on a good run so you started to get the floaty feeling.

On my 18's that I am running now I have Avon ZZ5's, they feel so much better! Great cornering grip, no overheating and now with this rubbish wet weather the grip is still there :). Wearing evenly so far as well.

Think they cost about £90 a corner.

Summer tyres

Brand - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Size - 225 45 17

Approx Cost - £94 FITTED each

Opinions/ pros & cons you've come across,

​I don't buy tyres with wear rate in mind or noise, just how much grip they will give me for the price.  These are about as good as Ive ever had and see a lot of people using them too.  Grip in dry is outstanding, hard to unsettle them and consistent in braking phase.  Still comfortable even though they might be classed as 'low profile'. Wet grip is good although I don't tend to push the boundaries in those conditions.  

Ive just swapped these off for Goodyear winter tyres so will give a review later after running them for a bit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Brand : Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Size : 225/45YR18 xl

£348 for the set as I fit and balanced them myself in the garage I used to work at :smile: Michelin were giving out £75 fuel cards at the time too for when you bought 4 tyres from so it was very much worth it! 

All year round use been excellent grip and very predictable handling in all weather. All wearing evenly and lasting a long time 

Will most likely be buying these again from gaining a lot more confidence at higher speed in my blob with them!

• 4 weeks later...

Brand - Falken Ziex 914

Size 215/55/17

Approx Cost £63 a corner + fitting

Opinions/ pros & cons you've come across - price was a big factor in buying these, along with the EU ratings for fuel econ/grip/noise - no problems with grip, but seem to be a bit noisier than I was expecting based on the EU rating. Don't think I will buy again - will probably go for Goodyears or Michelin Crossclimate

EDIT - the noise ended up being down to failing wheel bearings - would consider again now as a very good mid-range tyre but will probably be going for 'the best out there', regardless of price next time

Edited by david1972
Update on claimed noise issue

Need some new tyres for my 2015 sti, currently have the Dunlop sport maxx 245 40 18 97w on. Any recommendations for a

different tyre or stick to the dunlops. Also best place to purchase around Manchester area. 

I would buy online from somewhere like Oponeo or Tyreleader and get fitted at a local place. I've saved a reasonable amount of money over the years.

I have a new STi and will most like be going with Goodyear Eagle AS 2's or new 3's as per previous recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got Goodyear f1 as2's on the front and Michelin pilot sport 2's on the rear. I've done just over 10k and there's no major wear since purchasing the car on either set but the sidewalls on the rear have seen better days (perishing, the car hadn't done much mileage between 2012-2015) so putting some toyo t1-r's on the rear as I've had them on previous motors and been impressed. But I must say perishing aside both front and rear have been good to me so far with decent grip in all conditions covering larger than average mileage

Sent from the moon using telepathy

Decided on the Dunlop sport maxx as couldn't decide between these and the Goodyear,s. Local fitter have offered a good price so went with them which also saves any hassle having to arrange fitting etc. 

Got 13k out of these current tyres driving on a mixture of road types but new job means 60 miles of mainly back country roads each day which is great for driving but can see me going through tyres much quicker. Although will be switching to winter tyres this year as summer tyres and hills didn't really go that well when the weather turned. 

• 3 weeks later...

Brand continental Sport Contact 3

Size 205 50 17 XL

Approx Cost £106 a corner

Opinions/ pros & cons you've come across...

Great tyre - better wet grip than the Toyo Proxes T1R's I had previously, on third set of them now however would be interested in giving this a try :biggrin:

http://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/performance/motorsport/ar-1

Went for XL rating as they were slightly cheaper than normal ones and the car may be used for towing a caravan so bit of over engineering

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we use on our 2003 WRX STI Type UK Prodrive

Hancook Ventus Prime 2 K115

Size - 225 / 45 / R17 / 94W (XL)

Official Rating - Wet - A / Fuel - C / Noise - B (71dB)

price -  about £55 each tire

grip - excellent

I find these tires to be excellet and being comparable to expensive ones, weve done about 8k miles on them now mayby a bit more.

Latest set of wheels has pirelli p7 cinturato's on (came on the rims)

Not the best don't inspire much confidence and feel a bit wooden .@david the pilot sport 4's are supposed to be good but don't wear well due to being super sticky

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers@stants I think k I've decided on Goodyear eagle f1 3s when the time comes.

I've had to stop myself buying some this week lol plenty life left in what I've got on currently and about to pop the winters on soon anyway

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I am giving thought to PS4 next time round.  I do enjoy the stickiness :smoke:

If their price was closer to the goodyears I may have done too, but can get the goodies at £72 a corner fitted currently here

Latest set of wheels has pirelli p7 cinturato's on (came on the rims)

Not the best don't inspire much confidence and feel a bit wooden

They are supposed to make a good winter tyre, but I've never 'chosen' to buy their summer tyres

I've had them on other cars and never really been inspired, I liked the good years but obviously let them go with the 16"

They still have 3/4mm on them so will keep them till next year or point replacing for the sake of it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk