Mapping Problems continued UPDATE

cornish6544

Right so my classic went to Eurospec for a simtek ECU fitted and mapped and came back with 220bhp and various other problems that i will list below.

.Misfires on high boost and when you go over around 60mph

.uses TWICE as much fuel I'm talking like 100 motorway miles on 1 TANK!!

.Idles at 2000 or 3000rpm and stays there until you move off

.Remote start using clifford system start up then cuts out and has to start up again

All of these problems didn't happen with the old standard ecu , the mapper has said it could be coil packs or a crank sensor?? he doesn't seem to know what wrong and says he will have another look at it this week but I'm pretty short for money now having already forked out £600 for a ECU and £350 for it mapped. I need help now if anyone has any ideas what the problem could be.

No he didn't give me anything he said as the dyno printout was only 220 he didn't think i would want it. The mapper is Ben from Eurospec which i have only heard good things about so I'm pretty confident i have the right man for the job its just he works slow and doesn't really contact me much i have to chase him up as you do with most garages.

Coil packs could be the reason for the misfire but not the excessive fuel consumption if you're driving it normally. Must be running pig rich. I'd contact him and let them know how rich it's running. Last thing you want is bore wash... The fuel will work past the rings and contaminate your oil. Basically waters down your oil... Can also glaze bores.

I'd have thought a faulty crank sensor would have poked it's head up on the OEM ecu.. It's not as if its a performance part under extra stress.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

So the car has been at the garage 3 weeks now. Ive had the following checked :

.Spark plugs

.coil packs

.cam belt

.the timing belt is perfectly aline

Basically the mechanic doesn't seem to know why it is misfiring as it only started doing it since i got the new ecu and cant be mapped properly because of it. He rang up Simtek themselves and they said it could either be the sync between the ecu and crank sensor or the cam sensor thats causing this. Now this is way over my head so does this make any sense to anyone?

He has had my car in pieces trying to find the problem and the last resort seems to be these sensors. I will list the problems again below if anyone knows anything or has any more ideas please help I'm missing driving now....

. Misfires when using high boost or high speeds

.Revs itself randomly when stopped at lights can range anywhere from 1000 to 3000 and it doesnt drop till you set off again

. Uses an insane amount of fuel like 100 miles motorway driving off a FULL TANK!

All these problems have only accrued since i got the new simtek ecu fitted.

If it's a new ecu the simtek should have come with the ackertek update.

Is the ecu definitely for a v1/v2 ?

As the v1/v2 tps has 4 wires and the v3/v4 tps has 3 (so the engine loom differs)

I have heard there's a difference between jdm and uk for the crank and cam sensor pinouts but I would've thought it wouldn't run at all if they're the wrong way round.

I'd maybe consider getting a second opinion from somewhere that knows their scoobs a bit better, when you get it back .

Have you got any graphs of the afr ,boost ect ?

If it's over fuelling that bad I wouldn't drive it to much ,as it's likely to cause "bore wash" unburnt fuel strips the bores of oil causing wear

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Isnt simtek and alcatek two different ecu's now?

Sounds like you need to take it to somewhere that knows what there doing with them.

you used to be able to update the software on the simtek to alcertek ,I'm unaware If anything has changed but I've never owned either myself.

how far away is Alan Jeffreys from you cornish? , might be worth giving him a call

On 09/03/2016 at 4:44 PM, savage bulldogs said:

you used to be able to update the software on the simtek to alcertek ,I'm unaware If anything has changed but I've never owned either myself.

how far away is Alan Jeffreys from you cornish? , might be worth giving him a call

I think they are totally different boards now, i may be wrong though