classic impreza ecu location

stuartie

Afternoon everyone, im after a little bit of advice iv been speaking to andy forrest about getting my 1992 classic wrx mapped and he needs me to take a pic of the internals of the ecu to see if its still standard or not. Im just wondering if anyone could tell me where its located, a lad at work who prepares rally cars thinks its behind the passenger kick plate but he not sure. Thanks in advance for your help guys :biggrin:

Thanks for letting me know that phillip he said in the email that he would either have to fit an esl chip or a new ecu at a cost of £700 supplied fitted and mapped so not sure if that price is just for the ecu but will find out more once i get a pic of the internals sent off to him on saurday. At least now i can say to him i kinda have an idea of how much the esl should be thanks again 

10 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Yeah he certainly knows his stuff . His 6 cylinder h6 twin turbo time attack classic makes over 1k hp and he also owns a uk 22b emoji41.png

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

So i see... ooft

Hi everybody just a quick update, thats the pics of my ecu internals been sent off to andy and i'm holding out hope that the car has been mapped previously coz when i went to take the cover off the ecu i noticed that the screws which hold it on had already been off as they were slightly rounded off, fingers crossed i only have to pay for a remap and dyno run :smile:

Or look on the bay or other forums they come up from time of time should be able to pick up one for 200ish already installed in a compatible ecu.

Horses for courses apexi units are getting a bit long in the tooth these days and no end user support if you ever needed it, esl boards are well established now and have more features of your handy with mapping you can have similar results with both

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys, might have a look on the bay and possibly scumtree aswell. Would an ecu from another classic which has an esl or ecu already mapped just plug and play or would i be looking at a remap to run with the mods i have on my car, if so would it just be worthwhile getting andy to fit a new one coz by the time you add the cost of a 2nd hand ecu and the price he charges for a remap the costs will be near enough the same.

the mods i have on the car at the moment are an hks decat from turbo back, apexi performance cone filter, baileys dv and a walbro 255 fuel pump. 

Also how is this effecting the running of the car if its not been mapped already surely it will be affecting power output. Will i be causing any damage running around in it.

Any v1 (92) to v2 (early 96) ecu will fit into your loom harness but i wouldn't just fit a second hand esl'd ecu as the map could be way off what suits your engine .

The wrx z4 ecu punches out 260 hp as standard and classic ecu's do seem to "learn" better than newage ecu's . I've personally never added a decat or changed from standard air box to cone filter without mapping shortly after . As a free flowing decat and cone will allow a lot more air in and out of the engine than the original fuel map is set for .

If you want to break the 300hp barrier I'd also look at getting some yellow 440cc injectors, as the current grey 380's max at 290 hp ish . Then a v3 onwards map sensor as well ,Cos the v1 /v2 map sensor maxes out at 1.2 bar .

Both the later map sensor and yellow injectors should cost under a £100 in total but should gain you a extra 40 hp ish once fitted and mapped [emoji6]

Cheers for that savage, when i bought the car a couple of months ago the mods had already been done and the previous owner had said it had been mapped but had lost the printout ( which i was a bit dubious about ) but since the bodywork is solid and the engine runs sweet i took it as i'm planning on having the car for a good amount of years to come. I only really use the car at weekends as have an mondeo estate family bus to ferry the kids around dont want them to get their sticky fingers all over the scoob haha. Only bit of bother i have with the scoob is if i put my foot down into the axminster in 3rd and 4th it seems to be over boosting at around 5k rpm and it cuts the fuel ( i presume thats what its doing anyways ) the lamco boost guage thats fitted only reads upto 1.1 bar so unable to tell if its boosting higher and it also seems to run a bit rich but apart from that its running fine, could the airfilter and exhaust be causing it to do this. 

Yeah the standard cat is quite restrictive so once decatted the turbo can spool much easier. Coupled with a induction cone it can make the ecu struggle a bit to keep the boost and fuelling in check with all that extra air flowing freely. I think the z4 runs 0.8 bar standard max so your probably getting fuel cut due to it wanting to make more boost (due to the mods) .Then either the oe map fuel n boost parameters being exceeded or it nearly maxing out the early map sensor 1.2 bar limit and it "cutting" to protect itself .