boosting problem [sort of]

Youngy

all its got is a cobra back box,cone filter and the previous owner said it was mapped but I have no proof but it had the original boost controller and iv fitted a manual one and its still the same

Is it always the same in each gear and is it smooth?  Mine boosts higher in 3rd 4th as the load period increases.   As long as it's not fluctuating.  If it's been mapped then cool. 

True that, mines does the same in higher gears.

It's quite common to get different max boost levels in each gear . if your in 1st going downhill at 3k rpm using half throttle they'll be less pressure in the manifold than being in 5th at 3k going uphill using full throttle. This difference in inlet manifold pressure will affect the pressure in the vacuum lines that operate the boost control system (giving under boost or over boost)

I dare say you've either got a decat downpipe or someone has removed the ristrictor pill that subaru put in the boost control vac line system to stop vac line pressure variations [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊