Spark plugs normal or not

Youngy

What happened was the car just cut out on me pulling it out the garden and then after that the car would only run for 5 seconds then cut out again but then after a day or so it wouldn't start at all, so I checked the maf and the top of it was full of water some how so I dried that out and it just about started so then I changed the plugs for some really cheap ones from ecp £2.30 each lol just to see if it was them then it started on the button but really hesitates at 4K and struggles to go past 4K but does eventually but to the previous question the car kept on getting started but then turned off again with the original plugs hope that makes sense to someone 

Chances are it was the maf tgen mate, and once you've sooted the plugs up you've had it as the spark will just track straight down that black stuff to earth, I would imagine the cheap plugs just may not run your car properly especially on boost

1 hour ago, Scoobyghost said:

Agree with that but for modified id always go for PFR7B. You're more than welcome to bring it over and we can do the plugs for a test.

Fully agree but i did say for a standard car and yes as you say PFR7B for a modded car but we both agree NGK all the way.

I had the same problem hesitation at around 4K the fix for me was simple after one year of living with it. I put new plugs in and gapped them down to .5 and now it feel like a new car pulls so strong. I guess it was just blowing out the spark when boost hits. 

• Like 1

Yes I will be putting a new maf on, i did put up a wanted post on here to see if anyone had one, but I'm not too clued up with all this so because the maf has gone and because I kept on trying to start the car it actually sent the plugs black is that right 

Think I've possibly got a v3/v4 maf at home , I'm not back till Tuesday so I'll have a look then .

Good possibility that you've blackened the plugs if it's only been running on cold idle starts and especially with possible maf issues . Regap the plugs to 0.6 mm when refitting and it should help if it's a "spark on boost " misfire making the plugs black.

Yeah I will do but in all the years that Iv messes around with cars Iv never had to adjust the gap on a plug but everyone keeps saying use ngk plugs but the ones that came out my car where Bosch supers and they performed really well in my car so I'm not sure what one and to use now 

Think just about everyone runs ngk heat 7's, as they're a slightly hotter running plug than the factory spec ngk heat 6's and therfore cause less misfire issues due to the extra heat produced by the boxer layout when running higher than standard power .

If the spark is a bit weak or your running extra boost (remapped) scoobs can "blow the spark out" (hence using a smaller gap )

If it's running standard boost and everything else is healthy you should be fine with a standard gap .

Just be careful when re fitting plugs cos it's easy to crack the porcelain insulation and cause a misfire problem which can be over looked easily. As you don't think it's a plug issue due to fitting new ones [emoji6]

53 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Think just about everyone runs ngk heat 7's, as they're a slightly hotter running plug than the factory spec ngk heat 6's and therfore cause less misfire issues due to the extra heat produced by the boxer layout when running higher than standard power .

If the spark is a bit weak or your running extra boost (remapped) scoobs can "blow the spark out" (hence using a smaller gap )

If it's running standard boost and everything else is healthy you should be fine with a standard gap .

Just be careful when re fitting plugs cos it's easy to crack the porcelain insulation and cause a misfire problem which can be over looked easily. As you don't think it's a plug issue due to fitting new ones emoji6.png

Forgot about that last bit savs , had two plugs in mine with broken porcelain, one had a  big lump missing as well 😕