Dogconker

XV Safety Recall

Recommended Posts

Have been advised by Subaru yesterday that my car (which is a 2014 model) has a safety recal against it for the steering column wiring loom. 

They weren't clear which models are affected but if you have an XV it might be worth enquiring. There's a free modification being offered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

That don't sound good

Mine is 2013 model not seen recall so might be ok

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:biggrin: just seen this, so thought I'd search internet. Nothing on UK sites yet, but a lot on Aussie sites. Was looking at one when chat box opens asking 'are you looking for a new car'

Thought I'd just give a quick reply so said "No. In UK. Heard about XV recall, so just searching net for info"

He reply's "Where are you, your'e showing as out side Australia"

Er yes, read first post:rolleyes:

Anyway Aussie XV's affected were 2012, 2013 & 2014. Fix is insulation tape & foam padding to stop harness chafing.

Mine was in for it's second service earlier this month, nothing said about a recall, so hopefully it's ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this came direct from Subaru UK so it's legit. I was in contact regarding another issue and they sent this.

"As an aside, our vehicle records confirm the following safety recall is currently outstanding on your XV:

 

* SRT215 - Steering Column Wiring Harness

 

Please contact your local Subaru dealer in order to arrange to have this safety recall carried out (which is free of charge) at your earliest convenience."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted my local dealer regarding this (after a keen ebayer informed me of it while buying an oil filter for the car) and was told that it is a check to ensure that the wiring loom is routed past the steering column. They advised it could be done quickly and at my own convenience, or I could wait until my next service where it would be checked. They seemed to think that although it was a safety recall there was nothing to worry about and that of all the cars they had checked not one had been affected yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently it's just a case of preventing the wires chafing and wearing through. Just needs some foam to sort it. I am currently trying to find out which models it affects but it's likely to be all XV models. Mine is being done when it's in for its MOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had mine checked yesterday when the car was in getting the tracking done. No issues found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A different part of the loom maybe but my 2012 XV has recently been into independent socialist as it stopped and wouldn't go. Extensive diagnostic checks revealed a break in the wiring loom through chaffing near a bracket at the rear of the engine. Fault code P2150- fuel injector Group B Supply Voltage circuit low current fault. Can this be related to the Ausie recall? Should I be in touch with Subaru UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the orange XV (2012) in for the recall check today and it failed! They said it's the first one they have ever seen that has started to chafe through. They taped everything up and fitted the foam stopper whilst they try to find out what to order. They said it's a book job of 7 hours but as they have never done one before expect it will take 2 days. Strangely enough this afternoon I put my window down and it refused to go back up untill a few up down and half press attempts were made, it seemed quite sluggish on the way back up, So hopefully early January I'll get it done and all electrical gremlins will be resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2017 at 12:08 AM, Swayze88 said:

Took the orange XV (2012) in for the recall check today and it failed! They said it's the first one they have ever seen that has started to chafe through. They taped everything up and fitted the foam stopper whilst they try to find out what to order. They said it's a book job of 7 hours but as they have never done one before expect it will take 2 days. Strangely enough this afternoon I put my window down and it refused to go back up untill a few up down and half press attempts were made, it seemed quite sluggish on the way back up, So hopefully early January I'll get it done and all electrical gremlins will be resolved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s unfortunate, the fix only takes 1 hr as my wife had it done. Obviously with yours chafing they need to do the wiring loom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2018 at 1:20 AM, Dogconker said:

That’s unfortunate, the fix only takes 1 hr as my wife had it done. Obviously with yours chafing they need to do the wiring loom

Yeah, we had the fix carried out on the 2013 one and it was done in about an hour. I'm don't mind having to get it fixed, it's just a bit of a pain getting it to the garage, taking time off etc, then having to drive around in whatever matchstick box nissan or Suzuki they have as a courtesy car.

It does mean that the car will be better than when I bought it which is a nice thought. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Swayze88 said:

Yeah, we had the fix carried out on the 2013 one and it was done in about an hour. I'm don't mind having to get it fixed, it's just a bit of a pain getting it to the garage, taking time off etc, then having to drive around in whatever matchstick box nissan or Suzuki they have as a courtesy car.

It does mean that the car will be better than when I bought it which is a nice thought. 😀

You’re lucky, our dealership only do Subaru (which rarely get given out as courtesy cars) and MG (which barely qualify as a car at all!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on the wiring loom replacement - book is a 7 hour job apparently.

Car went in at 7:30am on Monday. 

Had a call Monday night saying they were still working on it.

Tuesday I Called at around 4pm, to be told that they had to order a 2nd wiring part in, expected it to arrive Wednesday am.

Wednesday lunchtime no news :( 

Hopefully its not another commute home in a Nissan Note 5,000 miles on the clocks and more rattles and shakes than a skeleton on pills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is this affecting this years model? my dads is about 6 months old now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tidgy said:

is this affecting this years model? my dads is about 6 months old now

I'd Hope not as they have known about this for over a year now, but might be worth getting him to ask next time he is in for a service. If he is the first owner and his address with the DVLA is correct then he should get a letter regarding any recalls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

I'd Hope not as they have known about this for over a year now, but might be worth getting him to ask next time he is in for a service. If he is the first owner and his address with the DVLA is correct then he should get a letter regarding any recalls. 

hes gonna give the dealer a bell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After various engine management lights came on - mostly to do with oil - I've been talking to my Subaru dealer about my 2013 XV.  I mentioned this thread to him and the wiring loom issues and asked if he was familiar with it. He did not answer; whether he dodged the question or forgot I'd asked it I don't know.  Anyway. I wrote direct to Subaru UK about it and the first response confirmed that there had been a recall and that my dealer had dealt with it 'in August 2017' which was the end date for recalls.

I wrote then asking the dealer to comment - no response since (not unusual for him). I wrote to Subaru again asking when the original recall message had gone out - answer: April 2014. I bought the car in 2016.  They added that my dealer S&S Services, Ayr, had carried out the recall work at the last service in April 2017.  The dealer has made no reference to this in our exchanges and nothing on the invoice for that service mentions it.  Had the work been done, would you expect it to be listed formally on the service record/invoice or elsewhere?

I'm conscious that the warranty runs out in October this year.

Many thanks.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Steeplechasing said:

After various engine management lights came on - mostly to do with oil - I've been talking to my Subaru dealer about my 2013 XV.  I mentioned this thread to him and the wiring loom issues and asked if he was familiar with it. He did not answer; whether he dodged the question or forgot I'd asked it I don't know.  Anyway. I wrote direct to Subaru UK about it and the first response confirmed that there had been a recall and that my dealer had dealt with it 'in August 2017' which was the end date for recalls.

I wrote then asking the dealer to comment - no response since (not unusual for him). I wrote to Subaru again asking when the original recall message had gone out - answer: April 2014. I bought the car in 2016.  They added that my dealer S&S Services, Ayr, had carried out the recall work at the last service in April 2017.  The dealer has made no reference to this in our exchanges and nothing on the invoice for that service mentions it.  Had the work been done, would you expect it to be listed formally on the service record/invoice or elsewhere?

I'm conscious that the warranty runs out in October this year.

Many thanks.

Joe

Hey Joe,

When I picked my car up yesterday (Orange 2012) I asked if there was any paperwork that went with it to prove that the work has been done (the wiring loom change) they said no paperwork but that it would be logged with Subaru.

When I went with my partner's car (Grey 2013) and got the harness checked and the little foam bit done it was the same story, no paperwork, just a bit to sign which they send off to Subaru to say it's been done.

It might be worth asking if they can check again, there is always a chance that missed something. 

Also in another post id spoken about dodgy oil warning lights, I think the oil sensors are very sensitive, especially to short cycles. Although since our last service I've not noticed any odd oil lights, maybe there is a software update that helps to ease it.

 

@Tidgy August 2017 is the end of the recall according to Steeplechasing above, so probably right around your dad's car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

Hey Joe,

When I picked my car up yesterday (Orange 2012) I asked if there was any paperwork that went with it to prove that the work has been done (the wiring loom change) they said no paperwork but that it would be logged with Subaru.

When I went with my partner's car (Grey 2013) and got the harness checked and the little foam bit done it was the same story, no paperwork, just a bit to sign which they send off to Subaru to say it's been done.

It might be worth asking if they can check again, there is always a chance that missed something. 

Also in another post id spoken about dodgy oil warning lights, I think the oil sensors are very sensitive, especially to short cycles. Although since our last service I've not noticed any odd oil lights, maybe there is a software update that helps to ease it.

 

@Tidgy August 2017 is the end of the recall according to Steeplechasing above, so probably right around your dad's car?

not sure exact month he got it to know which model year he has. shall see if he's heard anything

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swayze88 - Many thanks. That helps. I've not had a great time with this dealer - nicest people you could meet, but either lacking competence or I've been really unlucky. Complained for a year about the aircon. They had it in and 'checked it' twice insisting it was fine. Only when I filmed a thermometer held against the duct when the aircon was full blast showing no temperature reduction did they take it back in and then found a leak; difference was huge once it was fixed but they had simply not listened to my insistent protests that t couldn't be 'fine'.

Anyway, I'll double check with Subaru about them having registered the loom check...wish I'd stayed with the Forester!

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steeplechasing said:

Swayze88 - Many thanks. That helps. I've not had a great time with this dealer - nicest people you could meet, but either lacking competence or I've been really unlucky. Complained for a year about the aircon. They had it in and 'checked it' twice insisting it was fine. Only when I filmed a thermometer held against the duct when the aircon was full blast showing no temperature reduction did they take it back in and then found a leak; difference was huge once it was fixed but they had simply not listened to my insistent protests that t couldn't be 'fine'.

Anyway, I'll double check with Subaru about them having registered the loom check...wish I'd stayed with the Forester!

Joe

The trouble I had with the dealers over aircon, it’s because the gas is so expensive, no one wants to regas it unless Subaru will cough up for it. Both our cars had a leak in the same place  on the  condenser radiator. They did a negative pressure leak test on a positive pressure system on our car so they lost 2 lots of gas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2018 at 7:07 PM, Steeplechasing said:

Swayze88 - Many thanks. That helps. I've not had a great time with this dealer - nicest people you could meet, but either lacking competence or I've been really unlucky. Complained for a year about the aircon. They had it in and 'checked it' twice insisting it was fine. Only when I filmed a thermometer held against the duct when the aircon was full blast showing no temperature reduction did they take it back in and then found a leak; difference was huge once it was fixed but they had simply not listened to my insistent protests that t couldn't be 'fine'.

Anyway, I'll double check with Subaru about them having registered the loom check...wish I'd stayed with the Forester!

Joe

I'm considering starting an independent Subaru garage, I've had too many questionable experiences with main dealers. I'm sure with a Haynes manual and a set of spanners I could be as competent. After my wiring harness I was hearing a strange intake noise when over half throttle. Opened the bonnet and went digging around to find the clamp on the intake to the intercooler completely undone! Lucky it's been so snowy here I've hardly needed to put my foot down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Swayze88 said:

I'm considering starting an independent Subaru garage, I've had too many questionable experiences with main dealers. I'm sure with a Haynes manual and a set of spanners I could be as competent. After my wiring harness I was hearing a strange intake noise when over half throttle. Opened the bonnet and went digging around to find the clamp on the intake to the intercooler completely undone! Lucky it's been so snowy here I've hardly needed to put my foot down.

That sounds a bit poor, hope you’ve “had a chat” with the dealership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has just purchased a 2014 XV and we are surprised to hear the Subaru dealership had not heard of this recall and upon checking the vehicle has not to date been checked over for it!

This will now be done before collecting the vehicle

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now