08 impreza wrx hatch help required!!!!!!

Niko169

Hi all recently bought an 08 wrx that is stock and I am getting mixed opinions on how to go about getting power out of it looking to get as much power as possible on stock internals but every thing else is game but haven't got a silver spoon in my mouth :D (if you no what I mean ) and go easy on me this is my first Scrooby so go easy on me 

Thanks for listening to me winge 😀

I'm not an expert (very far from it) but when I was looking for one, I did some research. What I found is that the 2.5L can (an I emphasise can) suffer from ringland problems and head gasket problems. So I went for the blobeye to minimise the risk. So the first thing I would do, if I was you, would have the engine stripped and rebuilt and get these parts sorted before I think about upping the power.

Again I'm not an expert and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Sti suffer ringland,wrx can suffer head gasket going.my first hatch suffered head gasket failure and it was standard apart from a exhaust.make sure its been look after good service history and regular oil changes.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I've not started increasing the power on mine yet as I have started with the brakes and suspension. Will be interested to see how you get on though. First stop I guess would be to speak with whoever you plan on getting the car mapped by. I'm hoping to get mine done by Andy Forrest next year. Get their opinion on the best upgrades and what products they are happy to use during mapping. 

• Like 1

I am quite confident with the health of the engine the service history is massive but like you say anything can happen I don't want 2 push it to its very limit just decent power  as (as the older generation hate getting dusted by a 24 year old ) 😁😁😁

Just now, Niko169 said:

If iI wanted to go down turbo and injector route would that compromise the standard block ?

Depends on how big you go. @aucky has a WRX hatch with a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler and I'm assuming bigger injectors(?) and he's running 320bhp no problem. Obviously more power and boost etc you run, more than likely increasing the risk of something breaking internally.

It really seems to be your luck with the 2.5 block... you may have no issues with it at all.

On standard turbo and stuff your looking at about 270bhp after a remap with performance panel filter exhaust with sport cat if you did not want to decat the car and that would be resonable figure as not pushing engine.mine is at aboutits limit at 320bhp,but i dont mind if it blows give me a reson to build engine.and with right mids i no a guy who wrx runs 400bhp with a built engine.but as i allways say its a sport car.it can break on you in standard form or on max power,or it may never break at all,its pot luck with,them really.thing with the hatch is most things you have read about them breaking if you read it right is talking about the sti,sti had a lot more problems then the wrx or wrx-s models.

When I was younger the easiest way to go faster without spending anything was to find a steeper hill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lmao good for extra 100bhp to car that.

• Like 1

I would just go for the simple mods first and get a good map by a good tuner you would be surprised the difference to the driving experience just a map can make , it's not all about figures it's about power delivery and driving experience. You could quite easily have a 280 bhp set up really well , be quicker and nicer to drive than a 300 bhp car that is not tuned so well

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

@Niko169 as @kershaw-330s says start with simple mods first,something like a cosworth panel filter or perrin,then look at exhausts,most people go with 3" piping on exhaust but 2.5" pipe is just as good and can cope with upto 350bhp with no problem I was told by cobra exhaust.you wont really see any power gains with the 2 mods until you have it remap't,i would think about upgrading fuel pump before a remap and do your research on who your going to let map it,dont just let anyone because they are close do it,as said a good 280 remap will be much better then a 300 bad remap,also if it done by a cowboy your just going get problems further down the road.you said the car has great servive history but I always give my cars a oil change as soon as I get them,good service history or not,use good oil and a genuine Subaru black oil filter,dont put crap supermarket fuel in it either,its not good for them,use Shell vpower if theirs one near you,use crap oil and petrol then expect engine problems.i have just noticed your in Rotherham,if you fancy a drive I live in wombwell your welcome to drop by and give you some pointers.

26 minutes ago, aucky said:

@Niko169 as @kershaw-330s says start with simple mods first,something like a cosworth panel filter or perrin,then look at exhausts,most people go with 3" piping on exhaust but 2.5" pipe is just as good and can cope with upto 350bhp with no problem I was told by cobra exhaust.you wont really see any power gains with the 2 mods until you have it remap't,i would think about upgrading fuel pump before a remap and do your research on who your going to let map it,dont just let anyone because they are close do it,as said a good 280 remap will be much better then a 300 bad remap,also if it done by a cowboy your just going get problems further down the road.you said the car has great servive history but I always give my cars a oil change as soon as I get them,good service history or not,use good oil and a genuine Subaru black oil filter,dont put crap supermarket fuel in it either,its not good for them,use shell vpower if theirs one near you,use crap oil and petrol then expect engine problems.i have just noticed your in Rotherham,if you fancy a drive I live in wombwell your welcome to drop by and give you some pointers.

I was going to ask that  but dint want to sound weird haha  I appreciate the help need all the pointers I can get 

I've got a WRX-S it's meant to run 265bhp standard and as far as I know it's just got a Prodrive backbox, only 1 cat in the down pipe instead of the two, and has had a Prodrive map compared to the standard WRX. Someone else may be able to correct me. 

I've added a 2.5" h&s stainless midpipe cause it need changed and wanted to keep the Prodrive backbox...added a good bit of rasp. In spring I'll be installing walbro 255 fuel pump, fuelab pressure regulator, gfb respons BOV, 3 port boost solenoid and a Perrin cold air intake. Then a remap by Andy Forrest. Will be interesting to see what it gets maybe 280/290?

14 hours ago, aucky said:

most people go with 3" piping on exhaust but 2.5" pipe is just as good and can cope with upto 350bhp with no problem I was told by cobra exhaust.

Yeap, absolutely agree with this.

The technical side of this (which some of you know anyway) is to create a scavenging effect - effectively create a suction by trying to develop a vacuum through speed of flow through the pipe. So your exhaust system becomes an induction enhancer, effectively.

You hear people talk about back pressure. Forget all of that. It is to create a suction effect.

Going for a (for example) 6" bore does not increase performance and probably does either nothing or hampers the performance a little because when there is a huge volume of space with limited gas throughput, flow velocity slows. Speed of flow through the pipe is what you want and no 4 pot is going to generate enough of that (generally) on an extremely large bore.

Great for sound (perhaps) - nothing for the scavenging.

As for which bore is best - probably best to run with what Aucky said above and what Cobra has said. You would hope (and I would expect) that Cobra's engineers have tested this. 

Back pressure is good, but only for a 2 stroke with no valves, it helps keep the mixture in the cylinder.

I think the people who encourage back pressure started off with a 2 stroke, then thought it was good for all engines

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, salsa-king said:

a guy on Midland Scoobies (M-soc.com) had a WRX that was doing a good 300bhp+. That had been sorted out up at Scooby Clinic.

Maybe Tidgy knows a bit more about it. Or ring ScoobyClinic

that ivan's? that had an engine build, although just pistons so was limited to 400.

Pretty limited on how far you can take it, 350 would prob be the max you'd wanna risk on the standard internals.

5 hours ago, Tidgy said:

that ivan's? that had an engine build, although just pistons so was limited to 400.

Pretty limited on how far you can take it, 350 would prob be the max you'd wanna risk on the standard internals.

350 would be a fantastic number I am very rarely in boost just like dusting big misters in there big flash cars 😁 and I got embarrassed by an r6  at 5 am on the way to work the other morning hahah