First time scooby owner

ScoobyScotty

Hey!

Recently picked up my hawkeye wrx and I'm loving every minute of owning it. But it's my first subaru, my first car with a turbo, and my first time being a member of an owners club. (A lot of firsts!) 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how it's best to look after this wonderful machine, it's my dream car and I want to make sure I don't do anything stupid. 

Thanks for the tip! :-) 

I've already got into the habit of letting it idle for a few minutes to cool things off and going steady when starting from cold :-).

I've always loved subaru's. Not much that beats the sound of the boxer rumble :-) 

Welcome to the club! Always use high octane fuel as well, Tesco 99 or Shell v-power are the most popular choices.

Might be a good idea to fire some Redex into the fuel tank to clean out the fuel lines and injectors, usually helps on older cars! :D

Welcome!
Pretty much as the others said!

Use Tescos momentum 99 or Shell V Power 
Regular good services
Warm up before hammering it
Idling for a minute or so before turning off

If you look after it, it'll look after you :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll have hours of enjoyment in it!

- Matt

Everything already mentioned above, and being a hawk/2.5, check your oil every week without fail, some 2.5 engines (especialy) can have a tendency to burn/use oil at an alarming rate (more so with spirited driving), easy for them to empty the sump between 3.5k oil changes and toast the engine, as an aside, subaru think it's ok/within spec to burn 1litre of oil per 1000 miles, so as you can see, at that rate your car would be in trouble by next oil change

Thanks for all the advice people! 

I was really spun out when all the other scooby drivers around where I live started flashing their lights and waving at me, I thought they were warning me about police or something.  Now I know to flash or wave back! 

The fuel filler cap has a sticker saying 95 octane only, is that something I should listen to?

I have another question though. The fuse for the secondary air pump has blown, making my engine management light come on, I've read loads of posts about the secondary air pump being a pain and that it's not really needed, but the light on the dash is getting on my nerves. I've looked online and I can't for the life of me find a fuse that looks the same as the one in the fuse box that's blown. Does anyone know where I can get one that'd fit it?

Thanks again everyone! 

2 hours ago, ScoobyScotty said:

Thanks for all the advice people! 

I was really spun out when all the other scooby drivers around where I live started flashing their lights and waving at me, I thought they were warning me about police or something.  Now I know to flash or wave back! 

The fuel filler cap has a sticker saying 95 octane only, is that something I should listen to?

I have another question though. The fuse for the secondary air pump has blown, making my engine management light come on, I've read loads of posts about the secondary air pump being a pain and that it's not really needed, but the light on the dash is getting on my nerves. I've looked online and I can't for the life of me find a fuse that looks the same as the one in the fuse box that's blown. Does anyone know where I can get one that'd fit it?

Thanks again everyone! 

If the fuse has blown, chances are the pump motor is fried, it's another let down of the hawks, really you want shot of the whole system as you will have never ending problems with it, pump motors failing, they have even been known to seize and catch fire ! And then you will get all sorts of cells later on for the actuator valves failing, I know I may sound z bit doom and gloom but I'm just giving you my experience of my 100k hawk

That really wouldn't be ideal! Is removing it and fitting the blanking plates something I could do at home myself or is it a garage jobby? 

I know to get the error codes deleted they have to be mapped off of the system but I wouldn't know anywhere that would map them out sort of thing. 

Kinda sucks I've only had it just over 2 weeks, and she only has 63k on the clock :-(.

2 hours ago, ScoobyScotty said:

That really wouldn't be ideal! Is removing it and fitting the blanking plates something I could do at home myself or is it a garage jobby? 

I know to get the error codes deleted they have to be mapped off of the system but I wouldn't know anywhere that would map them out sort of thing. 

Kinda sucks I've only had it just over 2 weeks, and she only has 63k on the clock :-(.

I will try and remember to take a pic of the fuse/relay tomoz for you, you may be lucky, it's an easy job to do one side as long as bolts come out ok, but the other side is an **** because you have to remove the uppipe to get at it,also you have to cut the baro sensor out of one of the actuator valves anc leave it plugged in if you remove the valves