Head gasket question

Youngy

My car needs the headgaskets doing but I was told by the garage which I trust and he knows his stuff,he said if he was me he would fit 1.6mm vrs fibre gaskets but it says on eBay that the fibre gasket is for ej20g but mine is ej205 can anyone tell me if they are the same coz I asked the bloke if they fitted both but he wasn't sure but he did tell me (through my reg) the only one for my car is a steel headgaskets 

My car is a Subaru v5 x reg 

Afaik On pre 98 classics the multi layer steel gaskets are on the sti versions all other models of the same versions /year had fibre gaskets .

Think there's a gaskets thickness difference on some classics but I'm unsure if that's due to sti's having a different capacity forged piston crown "bowl" . Or different capacity across all models pending on version/year .

You could always give the likes of Alyn at asperformance or advanced automotive a bell and pick there brains [emoji6]

Thanks for that and I will ring them tomorrow but check this item out on eBay because in title it says its for all years of classics 1996 to 2000 with engine code ej20g but mine is ej205 in discription it says only from 96-98 what are the differences between the 2 engines because mine is 2000 thanks 

Compared to the earlier ej20g, The ej205 heads have a different stud and inlet pattern , different thrust position on the crankshaft and a different piston composite material.

But I'm unsure if the piston crowns or head chambers are different capacities . Hence why I'd be dubious about the headgaskets being the same thicknesses. Especially as I've seen multi layer steel gaskets listed for sti versions.

If your gonna keep the car and push more than standard boost levels I'd look into buying uprated vitron rubber "stopper " headgaskets of the correct thickness. As for the sake of a few extra £'s it could save you doing it again [emoji6]

6 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Compared to the earlier ej20g, The ej205 heads have a different stud and inlet pattern , different thrust position on the crankshaft and a different piston composite material.

But I'm unsure if the piston crowns or head chambers are different capacities . Hence why I'd be dubious about the headgaskets being the same thicknesses. Especially as I've seen multi layer steel gaskets listed for sti versions.

If your gonna keep the car and push more than standard boost levels I'd look into buying uprated vitron rubber "stopper " headgaskets of the correct thickness. As for the sake of a few extra £'s it could save you doing it again emoji6.png

Anything with RCM on it will be twice the price for no reason.

Right iv just spoke to the bloke at as performance and he knows his stuff and he said the ones I want are roger Clark gaskets at 0.78mm but they are over £150 but I can go up to 1.0mm steel gaskets so where is the best place to get the gaskets 

Alyn's a proppa helpful fella who knows his stuff [emoji106]

I think import car parts list multilayer vitron rubber coated gaskets .

Could try advanced automotive ,RM performance or checking the price of cossie stopper headgaskets too .

I was lucky enough to get my cossie stopper headgaskets for £100 of Mick from r.m performance a few years ago

Cosworth is what I normally use as priced far better, half price of RCM for same die cut stopper type gasket available in 0.78 and 1.1, RCM headgaskets are proper decent but bit over priced .
Used cosworth for years on sr20's and ej's and they been superb and pricing superb too .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

?

Don't think I mentioned rcm in that post tidgy .

I do agree rcm stuff ain't cheap but the oil and fuel pump I run can't be faulted quality wise emoji6.png

sorry by stopper i thought you meant the ones they sell under the name of gobstopper

No problem bud,Just didn't know if you'd replied and quoted the wrong post .

Most engineer's tend to use the word "stopper " to describe the rubber coated multi layer headgaskets . As it's (supposed) to aid gasket adhering to the head and deck surfaces .

Although i don't know how much difference it would make on a OBD compared to a cdb , or have any proof they actually work tbh

^ you get MLS gaskets coated that can be stopper or non stopper constructed

stopper refers to internal metal layer that either folded around cylinder or die press ridged so it creates more clamp force around cylinder bore.

The coating is purely a micro sealing aid and differing metal barrier to corrosion issues .

• Like 1