2007 STI Limited

Tidgy

• 5 weeks later...

So cars back, not alot to show tbh, cant see any difference, apart from lighter wallet haha.

One side neeeded a couple of areas cut out and patched (pretty small areas) other side was ok, just needed a clean up and reundersealing.

Passed its mot without even a minor after that 😄

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So had a rather anoying day on friday.

Bought a set of godspeed j hooked floating bell disks and KL rc+ pads and went to have them fitted and after all in (amazingly none of the bolts snapped or anything 😮 ) and once on, they were binding. bit of investigation and found the offset appeared to be 1mm out, which was enough to push the disk far enough back for the pad to not clear the disk when the brakes are off. Few phone calls to Godspeed and they are being returned for a refund (can't fault their customer service so far, not had refund yet as they are on the way back).

Ended up with some blueprint disks and the KL, which i was warned squeek like a ******, and they do,  so need to decid what to do about the disks now :S

• 3 weeks later...

So brake saga continues.

Disks were returned to godspeed but no refund arrived. When i rang to chase they said that they were damaged during road test (well not reallyt damaged, more marked)so couldnt be resold so didnt want to refund me. While i could have demanded a refund as they didnt fit they offer to machine the bells to suit and then send them back. which i have no issue with, although a bit cheesed off as its gonna cost me labour to get them swapped again.

It's highlighted a couple of things,

1. what initialy caused the issue was the disks are just under 0.9mm less offset than standard disks. Godspeed are actualy gonna change their machining to amend that.

2. the Brembo calipers have a pad guide plate on them. Over time rust gets underneath and lifts the plate and pushes it slighty outwards (1mm approx). add the 1mm and the 0.9mm and the 2mm means they bind, personaly i didnt realise 2mm made that much difference.

Shall get some pics up next week when the disks are refitted. I'll try and get some pics to show the guide plate issue as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So as above, disks came back after modification and good news for once. Went straight in, no binding etc.

One issue that is well known with the KL pads is they are noise, squeaky etc. The mechanic who fitted them had some liqui moly anti squeal paste to use qnd have to say it's night and day, since the new disks were fitted had very little squeal at all, so would highly recommend the stuff.

iirc this was the stuff,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-3077-Anti-Squeak-Brake/dp/B00295ERQ2/ref=asc_df_B00295ERQ2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310737079185&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15298736932339091944&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046376&hvtargid=pla-357169835656&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Ignoring the saga of fitment, even not bedded in I'm really impressed. Bites well even from cold. Yet to use them in anger as havnt done the run in milage yet, but all in all pretty pleased.

20220708_095431.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well, another year and another MOT failure, and can prob guess, its the other sill grr

Also had an issue with the clutch, which turns out to have rusted itself to the flywheel while its been parked (was ill over christmas and all of jan so it didnt move), also pretty worn so its had a exedy pink box and sill repair.

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow 😄