So i've been doing a lot of looking around and there seems to be a general thought that the removal of the back box on a Diesel makes sod all diference to the sound.
I thought I'd try it out and see if it made any difference. Its only two bolts, it will take 20 mins I thought, well of course one of the bolts snapped in the flange, so it suddenly became a bit more of a pain in the ... rear. when you need bolt extractors, stud extractors, an impact gun and a breaker bar, its not been a sucessful day!

In general i'd say there is very little difference. Driving around I couldn't notice a change until above around 3,000 rpm, which to be honest I rarely go above unless i'm in a rush. Above 3,000 rpm there was a louder "wooshing" sound, which I think might have been due to the exhaust pointing straight into the boot space.

Anyway,

Here is a video and you can decide for yourselves.

https://youtu.be/yVaOEn4lNZ8

I've put it back on due to the direction the exhaust points, but might see if I can get a couple bends of pipe and delete it permenantly. The back box weighs 9.5Kg if anyone is bothered.

IMG_20180526_165605.jpg

3 minutes ago, Swayze88 said:

So i've been doing a lot of looking around and there seems to be a general thought that the removal of the back box on a Diesel makes sod all diference to the sound.
I thought I'd try it out and see if it made any difference. Its only two bolts, it will take 20 mins I thought, well of course one of the bolts snapped in the flange, so it suddenly became a bit more of a pain in the ... rear. when you need bolt extractors, stud extractors, an impact gun and a breaker bar, its not been a sucessful day!

In general i'd say there is very little difference. Driving around I couldn't notice a change until above around 3,000 rpm, which to be honest I rarely go above unless i'm in a rush. Above 3,000 rpm there was a louder "wooshing" sound, which I think might have been due to the exhaust pointing straight into the boot space.

Anyway,

Here is a video and you can decide for yourselves.

https://youtu.be/yVaOEn4lNZ8

I've put it back on due to the direction the exhaust points, but might see if I can get a couple bends of pipe and delete it permenantly. The back box weighs 9.5Kg if anyone is bothered.

IMG_20180526_165605.jpg

Link does not work, typo I guess?

Tried the link again this morning and by copy and paste into Google and it worked.  Very strange?  I don't have much of a frame of reference with the diesel engined XV to be honest but from the video clip I'd say the no back box has a deeper, broader sound. It might sound very different with the car under load?