2003 Impreza STI Power Steering Pump

Jamina

Hello, 

Can anyone help me with where to get a power steering pump for a 2003 Impreza STI?

I noticed some juddering the other day turning at low speed which got worse on my way home. Also a whine from engine area which I assumed was PS. 

PS fluid was low so I topped it up, fluid has deminished again over the last couple of days, whine back and juddering started again. 

Have check all the hoses & joins with no obvious leaks so I am assuming this is the pump itself that has gone!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
James

That looks like its just a little bracket to secure the pipe with the pipe running through it, it will be rubber lined so it doesn't rub through the pipe, is it wet as can't really tell from the pic 😎👍 

• Like 1

I moved the reservoir to get a picture of the underneath, the reservoir itself looked okay and pipes that connected around looked okay too. 

The bracket was a little bit wet, dabbed it with some cloth and no obvious colour so I’m not sure what that is. 

Thought I was on to something then!

To lose enough to top up again after a couple of days then it should be visible however i had the same kind of symptoms with my wifes alfa and it was the steering rack seals which was filling up the boot on the track rod and it wasn't until it had filled right up and exploded oil everywhere that i found where the leak was, its just a thought though, could be worth a check 😎👍

If your fluid’s got low, chances are it’s drawn some air into the system, try refilling and bleeding it out. Mine took a while to bleed after I moved the reservoir to get my radiator out 

2 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

The system is a proper !Removed! to bleed, top it yp again and seeing that sorts it.

The reservoir being lower than the pump is a pretty shocking design really isn’t it? 

I have topped it up again, I am now pretty much convinced it’s a leak or some sort as the fluid is draining when the car is not in use. 

Ill get it booked in and taken care off, don’t want the power steering to cut out again!

2 hours ago, Jamina said:

I have topped it up again, I am now pretty much convinced it’s a leak or some sort as the fluid is draining when the car is not in use. 

Ill get it booked in and taken care off, don’t want the power steering to cut out again!

Fair do's, was worth a shot anyway. Mine needed a new pump not long back as it was whining even with proper fluid level

My pump seems fine when fluid level is correct. No noises and functions correctly. 

A little more research tells me this could be steering rack boot or something of that calliber.

Things would be much easier with a ramp 😂 

Could try to release the outter cable tie jublie clip on each steering rack boot , to see if the boot is filling with p.s fluid .

The boots should have grease in them but not fluid , unless the rack seals have gone .

Just make sure you've got suitable cable ties or that you can reuse the jubliee clips when refitting. 

If there's no fluid in the boots then I'd say you have a leak and to check pump, reservoir , both pump and rack ends of the pipework and the rack itself .

Best of luck 

• 5 months later...