Is it me or are the brakes on the hawkeye 160bhp non turbo terrible? 

I literally feel they have zero stopping power. Now I'm aware clearly fluid, tryes, pads, discs all play a part in this however are they known for being a poor braking system on the hawkeye. 

Or is it my modle GD9 being a non turbo all having poor brakes. 

My classic WRX I had previously seemed to have a far greater stopping power. 

I have been looking at the GD9 brakes avaliable and looking at eBay it would appear STI WRX four pots and 2 pot calipers front and rears fit. 

Is this the case? 

If anyone has upgraded a non turbo braking system before any information would be greatly appricated. 

And I have looked already at the disc sizes for both systems (non turbo and wrx sti) they appear in my modle year to both be 266 and 277. 

Again any knowledge would be greatly appricated. 

Regards. 

Rich

The brakes on my RX give great feel (more than the STi which is quite wooden) and good stopping power.... however they cannot take any abuse and fade really quickly with spirited corner attack over a few miles.

Have you checked to see if the pistons are all free?

bigger calipers and vented discs are always going to be a step in the right direction though

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm of the opinion that they may need looking at because even the simplest of braking feels fade like. Even when cold and no other braking has occurred But then I also drive serval other cars and I'm worried that I may be expecting too much from them. 

I do like the idea of a brake upgrade I'm just worried that won't fit. 

Regards. 

1 hour ago, supermonkeyballs said:

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm of the opinion that they may need looking at because even the simplest of braking feels fade like. Even when cold and no other braking has occurred But then I also drive serval other cars and I'm worried that I may be expecting too much from them. 

I do like the idea of a brake upgrade I'm just worried that won't fit. 

Regards. 

I had a classic 2.0 sport and as Jay said they bite ok but faded really quickly. I now have a 2007 WRX and the 4 pots on these with the pad and disk combo were worse than the classic which had drums on the back. I did not want to try x amount of pads and discs (which could have improved them as I have been told by Ian) so upgraded to the smaller Brembo kit from godspeed.  After all probably the most important part of any car. These I have not been able to fade on the same runs. I also wanted to keep the standard wheels 17 inch, plus the bigger 2 piece discs and brembos look the part.. The thing about the Subaru I believe is the servo assistance is not that much. Any modern car I have driven is the opposite and seems to be over assisted.

On 9/21/2019 at 1:31 PM, Siluro said:

I had a classic 2.0 sport and as Jay said they bite ok but faded really quickly. I now have a 2007 WRX and the 4 pots on these with the pad and disk combo were worse than the classic which had drums on the back. I did not want to try x amount of pads and discs (which could have improved them as I have been told by Ian) so upgraded to the smaller brembo kit from godspeed.  After all probably the most important part of any car. These I have not been able to fade on the same runs. I also wanted to keep the standard wheels 17 inch, plus the bigger 2 piece discs and brembos look the part.. The thing about the Subaru I believe is the servo assistance is not that much. Any modern car I have driven is the opposite and seems to be over assisted.

Interesting thanks for taking the time to comment, I was looking at the a pair of Four pots from an STI/WRX and a pair of Two pots WRX/STi (both on ebay) as a direct replacement but now I'm wondering if making the change will achieve anything. How much was the god speed kit?

Thanks again for replying.    

Ian from godspeed has said that the 4 pots are ok and he has used them in rallys (which he won his class) in another thread. He also explained to me that the pad can make a massive difference so the 4 pots can be made to work. All of which makes sense. I did not try any new pads, I just went for the Brembo kit from Godspeed. This was about £1200 with new pistons for rears. It worked for me and looks much better than the stock setup. A set of new pads though would have been <£200. The biggest issue I had was fade on both the WRX with standard brakes and my old classic sport.

• 7 months later...

Hello, guys.

i also own a 2007 2.0r impreza but the wagon version.

i'm also looking to upgrade my brakes. from my limited research i've found that wrx 4 pot front calipers are a direct replacement for OEM ones, with correspondent rotors and pads.

My concern is towards the rear. i understand that wrx calipers (2 pot) are not a direct fit.

has anyone upgraded the rear calipers with rotors, pads and drums?

Thanks