Performance questions

Dovo1

I am new to modding subarus and I currently have a 2007 hawk eye Impreza wrx 2.5ltr and it's currently stock sitting about 220bhp is there any fairly cheap mods I can do to make more power ?

Depends on what you define as cheap - having lived in Scotland for many years I would say the answer is no..... 😁

However consider:

High flow panel filter

New higher flow fuel pump

Decat down pipe

higher flowing exhaust system (cannot remember if you have x2 cats or not)

Remap

Well the K&N will have a 100K miles lifespan so a quick clean out and it should be fine - keep a camera handy and feel free to create a thread in the build section, share your progress 👍

I own the same car and had it mapped. Best money i have spent on it so far. Completely stock bar panel filter and back box. Now it produces 270bhp and 345 ft-lb on Bp Ultimate. Your could get more with 99 ron Vpower but not much i guess.

Car is night and day different. Just save (after you have road taxed it of course £535 really hurts) and get it mapped. If your goner add any boltons do that first then map it. I have since put Brembo front calipers on her and 2 piece 330mm disks and now she also stops much better too.

• Like 1

Your biggest issue is finding the right mapper. I asked after being mapped (did research) and I got answers I did not want to hear about this person. One thing I would recommend is that the mapper does both rolling road and normal public road mapping. This is good advice from Tidgy which I did not know till too late.

6 minutes ago, Siluro said:

Your biggest issue is finding the right mapper. I asked after being mapped (did research) and I got answers I did not want to hear about this person. One thing I would recommend is that the mapper does both rolling road and normal public road mapping. This is good advice from Tidgy which I did not know till too late.

It's a shame there is so much false info out there and cowboys. Go on FB and peoples names get branded about as being great, yet go on forums (that have been around waaaay longer than FB) and you find those names don't dare post on them anymore as they have been shown to be cowboys.

Few key things for mapping,

1. Dyno maps should always be road tested after being finished. Dyno's are good tuning/diagnostic tools but arn't 100% road simulation

2. Faults can not be mapper round. Sensors are a common one that fail, if one has dropped, it needs to be repalced prior to mapping.

3. It's not all about power. This is for two reasons, 1 the harder you push it, the more likley to fail it is, 2 drive ability will make more difference to have it performs than 5 or 10 extra BHP

4. A decent map takes time, if they claim to be done within 30 mins its highly likley they have rushed it (although i do know very very rare occasions this isn't the case), so if its a 'mapping day' it's doubtful they will take the proper time to map it because doing a proper map can, if things dont go easy, take several hours or more.

Slight explanation for the caveat point 4 (ok long explanation haha).

Experienced mappers typically start with a base file they apply to the car and then tweak it to suit..

Mappers will see hundreds of cars over a year, say they do only 2 cars a week, that's 104 cars. if they map for 10 years thats 1040 maps they have in their library. So if you take an example of an 2005 sti, with decat, panel fiter and fuel pump (pretty much the starting point of modding) the experienced mapper will prob have 20-50 maps of exactly the same spec car and mods. So they will have a good library of base maps to start from.

base maps typically have lower boost, less timing advance and more fuel than the final map (much safer but lower performing map). Those are the perimeters that the mapper can adjust to improve the map for different cars. Or the mapper may take a conservative map he's done before and use that.

So you might be saying, the mods are the same so the alterations must be the same for a car with the same setup. The bad news is that isn't the case and that comes from personal experience and im not even a mapper.

I used to have a 1999 UK turbo, i ended up having a stand alone autronics ecu fitted to it, so the standard ecu was remove and autronics unit fitted. I sold that ecu to a mate for his car that was same year, very similar milage, same model and same mods (decat and panel filter at the time iirc). Knowing the maps may be out it was swapped at a rolling road day and the car went straight onto the dyno for a check. The run ended up being terminated halfway through the first pull, it was lean, timing was off and it was detting. The ecu was removed and refitted later just before it was mapped (due to a license on the ecu).

So now i've waffled on about what seems irrelevant to why very occasionally cars can be mapped in minutes here's the answer, very very occasionally a map is applied and it just works. If the mapper tries to add more timing, the engine dets, he adds fuel, it dets, adds more boost it dets. So the map that gets applied is as good as its gonna get for that car at that stage.

But as said this is very very rare the map applied is that spot on..

• Like 1

What do they mean by a licensed map why does it need a license? (Ano prob a daft ? Lol) I was out for about an hour and a half on the road when I done mine not gonna say whether the guy was amazing or not cause Im not as research as tidgy on this matter, but with what ive read on your post im not concerned all seamed fine

3 hours ago, Siluro said:

Just to add the car has covered 15k since being mapped and is fine no issues what so ever except the speeding ticket I got. I had to do a speed aware course so dodged the points.

5 minutes ago, Siluro said:

Just to add the car has covered 15k since being mapped and is fine no issues what so ever except the speeding ticket I got. I had to do a speed aware course so dodged the points.

Haha I done that course aswell was lucky enough to get caught in england scottish plod just fine you straight away 😂

3 hours ago, ROSSCOSM said:

What do they mean by a licensed map why does it need a license? (Ano prob a daft ? Lol) I was out for about an hour and a half on the road when I done mine not gonna say whether the guy was amazing or not cause Im not as research as tidgy on this matter, but with what ive read on your post im not concerned all seamed fine

Ecutek software license, basically a mapping software that is used, interestingly the origins of open source stuff is cracked versions of ecutek.

1 hour ago, Siluro said:

That's why the 1st map is pricey cause you buying a licence as well I believe.

open source doenst have that inital bump, ecutek is about £175 for a license. but is a one time only purchae for the ecu, which is why there is value in a mapped ecu, even if the map is no use.

As far as which to go for, personaly i'd always go Ecutek. If you have an issue with the software (which is nothing to do with the mapper) then the mapper can call the help line and get it put right. In fact i had that very issue with a strange maf overvolt, turned out to be a glltch in the ecutek software which is now patched so i dont get a EML and neither does anyone else for that issue. If it was open source, unlucky.