Moving on

ernieb

@Dr. Acula, just done my first day using the ICE, so some quick numbers (I am running the ICE in so variable speeds etc.). I did a total mileage of 137miles, 45 used the EV traction Battery so 92 miles using the ICE.  The Toyota app says I used 1.87 gals of fuel giving 49mpg which is the hybrid mode ICE alone, (ICE recovering and deploying Battery as it sees fit)  

This trip was in fact 4 trips, 1 normal roads and motorway 91 miles 45 using the Battery balance in hybrid mode.  Trip 2, 31 miles using hybrid mode. Trip 3, local hills up and down, 7 miles hybrid and trip 4 return of trip 3 slight detour 8 miles.  I’d say a good mix of fast roads and tougher road conditions.  Hope this gives you some idea, early days and running in so no hard acceleration or braking except when a prat pulled out in front of me, try as you might there is always one…..

• Like 1

Thank you, next week I'll go and see it in person at a dealer and maybe ask you some more questions. Then the scary part, explain the benefits to my wife who would be the beneficiary of the new car.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting  times. I've just come into the fold from Lexus- just downsized from a 2017 RX450h Premier to a  September 2019 XV petrol which is being delivered on Friday.

Prior to lockdown I was doing approximately 500 miles a week work driving which has now become zero.

My Lexus is now doing about 70 miles a week so it became a very expensive underused commodity (My wife won't drive it).

I had 4 Lexus since 2016 and the secret of the hybrid is not to use the eco mode. There is a very good Youtube video by Lexus on driving hybrids which is well worth a viewing.

My phone app shows that in 12,00 miles my average mpg was 36mpg which for a 3.5 litre V6 petrol  weighing in at nearly 2.5 tons is not bad going.

@olliesgrandad, interesting I’m currently driving in ECO mode all the time and finding that the performance and economy is fine.  Currently getting over 50 miles on a charge and based on various trips where I’ve excluded the EV mileage I’m getting over 60mpg. My car is over 2tonne and a 2.5ltr Atkinson cycle ICE. If I put it into HV mode and sport then it will do 0-60mph in 5.7 secs, it’s an easy car to drive.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

@olliesgrandad, interesting I’m currently driving in ECO mode all the time and finding that the performance and economy is fine.  Currently getting over 50 miles on a charge and based on various trips where I’ve excluded the EV mileage I’m getting over 60mpg. My car is over 2tonne and a 2.5ltr Atkinson cycle ICE. If I put it into HV mode and sport then it will do 0-60mph in 5.7 secs, it’s an easy car to drive.

If you speak to any Lexus sales or service person they will tell you never to drive in Eco mode, it is only designed for slow limited town driving and will hit your economy big time.

You will get much better economy in normal drive mode or sport . The general technique is to accellerate briskly and then back off which will give you regenerative energy.

My GS300h 2015 saloon used to regularly exceed 45mpg.

Take a good look at the Lexus hybrid driving technique video, it is a very different technique and you will find your economy improves.

I always check my cars tankful to tankful using a phone app so I know the results are accurate (unlike the car computer).

Most of all -enjoy!

@olliesgrandad, interesting everything I’ve read on the Lexus website suggests the opposite of what your saying, sorry here’s an extract.

The basics – these will help any car’s fuel efficiency, hybrids included.

1. Tidy the boot! Removing unnecessary weight from the car will boost performance immediately
2. Consult the handbook. Ensure the car’s tyres are correctly inflated
3. Plan your journey – avoid jams or getting lost
4. Close windows and sun roof at higher speeds (above 45mph)
5. Remove unused roof racks, boxes and bike racks
6. Maintain a steady speed, and do not exceed speed limits
7. Avoid sudden braking and acceleration

Hybrid driving  – sorry other car drivers, these are for hybrids only!

8. Familiarise yourself with the car’s hybrid information display so you can monitor how much energy is being used
9. Be gentle with the accelerator pedal; press it lightly but consistently, to help keep the car in EV mode
10. Use ECO mode for improved efficiency – this will reduce response to aggressive use of the accelerator
11. Gentle, early braking boosts regenerative braking, resulting in EV mode being able to operate for longer periods
12. Monitor the dials and gauges to fully understand the state of the hybrid system and manage high voltage Battery levels
13. When in stop-start traffic, do not select ‘N’ neutral when stationary, as electricity will not be generated and the hybrid Battery will discharge
14. Consider the use of Cruise Control to maintain steady speeds
15. If using Climate Control, re-circulate mode reduces energy usage
16. Maximise your use of EV mode wherever it is appropriate to do so
17. Consider the environment! Heavy use of ancillaries like air-con, lights and wipers will increase energy consumption

Hi Ernie,

I can only relay to you what the experienced staff at my Lexus dealership have imparted to me over the last 5 years.

I certainly have got very good mpg whilst enjoying the cars I've owned- my first IS300h f sport was previously owned by Geoff Hurst and that car always returned in excess of 40mpg in very mixed driving, the larger GS300h I bought after that surprisingly was better on fuel with the same running gear and didn't feel any slower. I've then owned a 2015 RX450h gen 3 and now a RX450h Premier. My current car has often exceeded 40mpg  and that is withn the 3.5 litre V6.

I have covered in excess of 130,00 miles with these cars and have always found the m to be great drives when in normal or sport mode. In Eco the pick up is so badly hampered and personally I don't want to be always driving to maximise mpg  at the cost of being able to safely accellerate out of a hazrdous situation- especially when I'm driving a luxury car that cost in excess of £61k new.

Fully laden in the Scottish highland last year I recorded almost 38mpg with my current RX which is a real world figure, not one from the computer.

I always use the radar cruise and I agree early braking does boost the batteries. I do advise however to occassionally do a few hard stops so that 'the real brakes' cut in as they do have a nasty habit of graunching if not used enough.

Your car as it is the very latest incarnation of the hybrid system should be very economical as you should be able to rune electric much faster than my car (28mph is where mone fires up the petrol engine).

Most importantly enjoy the car rather than worrying about every last drop of petrol - I'm sure you will love it.

A few things I will tell you about Lexus / Toyotas is they have 

1) a habit of leaking water pumps ( both my GS300h and my current RX had replacements under warranty). In the case of the RX the pump costs £115 only but the labour to fit it hits the £1000 mark as the front of the car has to come off and a lot of engine anciillaries need to be removed. I understand that recently they don't change the pumps if they have a solidified crystal of anti-freeze  on the external surfaces with no fresh signs of leaking.

2) If after 20000+ miles you get a noise like a groaning wheel bearing it is probasbly the tyres 'Block wearing', it is especially prevalent if the car is on OE Dunlops. I was able to switch to Cross Climates which cured it as well as improving the noise levels and handing.

3) Check on the cost of the big 60,00 mile service- on an RX it exceeds £700 due to a major external engine strip down to change the spark plugs- probably not an issue with the 4 cylinder, but on the 6 cylinder 3 plugs are inaccessible.

Happy Motoring

@olliesgrandad,  I think there is always a divergence of preferences and eventually we all get to be in a happy place that suits our driving style.  I’m a great supporter of the CrossClimates and will change to them at some point. The RAV4 has Yokohama Advent fitted as standard and so far I’ve been reasonably happy with them, they are based on an all weather tyre and if I’d like get some life out of them before I change them.

My RAV4 Is a PHEV and has an 18Kw Battery which I can charge from the mains, this gives me a range currently over 50miles with the AC/heating on, and it can drive the car up to 84mph before the engine cuts in.  So most of my local trips run on Battery.  Even though it’s 18Kw the car reserves 30% to be used in hybrid mode so preserving the full 302HP performance.

What I’d really like is a full EV but the infrastructure is so poor I’d be a nervous reck driving any distance.  My Subaru dealer is keeping me posted about the release of the BZ range, the collaboration between Subaru and Toyota, Battery technology etc., from Toyota and transmission permanent AWD from Subaru, should be interesting.

Enjoy your XV…

Sorry I didn't realise your car was a PHEV, I wrongly assumed it was the usual Lexus self charging hybrid.

Just for interest I wanted to put a set of Cross Climates on my current RX, but Michelin don't do any tyres in that particular 20"rim size.

I did some research and found the Yokahama Geolander G058 which was launched last year as an all season tyre.

Although it is according to a lot of tyre sites a summer tyre it is in fact mud & snow rated and there are some very good videos of it in  action in snow.

That is what i have fitted and the cost was marginally less than the OE Bridgestones.

I have to say the car is much quieter and in the few snaps of cold weather and flooded roads back in March / April they coped very well  and if I couldn't fit Cross Climates would certainly buy them again.

Like you the thought of a full EV fills me with dread. A local Council I used to visit before lockdown has a fleet of EV's and they were always sitting in the yard because people forgot to charge them.....

Personally I couldn't be bothered with the effort even of a plug in as I'm sure my grandchildren would soon be switching the power off or tripping over the cable in my car port.....

BTW I am a memberr of ther Lexus forum and as a gold member (£60 for 2 years) there are plenty of discounts.I suspect there may be a Toyota forum that does the same.

My Lexus dealer gives me 15% off everything including the cost of MOT's so with Lexus service costes I very quickly recovered the cost when I was having 3 services a year.

Over £110 saving on a big service.

@olliesgrandad,  I’m on a couple of Toyota forums although the US based on is very much for focused on itself.  I’ve also taken out a 2 year deal and get the Halfords discount etc., 

Luckily my grandson is 17 and learning to drive, he’s keen to get behind the wheel of the RAV, but that will have to wait awhile yet I think?😊

When I bought the car I took out a 5 year service deal, paid monthly with no interest and fixed at 2021 prices, they also offer discounts to have the mot rolled into the service etc.  That’s one thing I’ve commented on about the XV very expensive to service in fact three years at Subaru more of less buys me 5 years at Toyota if based on time, mileage is about 4 plus years.

Enjoy your XV….