Subaru track day - Spa

Jay762

He was lucky in one sense as it was halfway up Eau-Rouge so the fire marshalls were not too far away, but it was a petrol fire and it took hold very quickly.  Amazingly the engine was saved (EJ25 single turbo c. 450bhp) and has now been fitted in his replacement car.

Not sure for the Spa fire as I never asked, but I have another friend who melted a piston doing a max-speed run on the Autobahn near the German / Belgium border and it cost him £550 to recover to Coventry.  Although he had RAC European cover they would only recover him off the Autobahn to a local storage area as the value of his car (a 1996 JDM Legacy RS) was, in their words, too low to justify the cost of recovery.  My argument was that the recover cost would be the same for his car as it would be for a brand new Ferrari, and that he had paid his membership fees so they should recover him regardless.  It didn't wash!

Nope, he had been with them for several years.

Going a bit off topic now, but just to highlight the risks with track days and autobahn running, plus the need for good breakdown cover when you go.  We were running video cameras in the cars at the time and I've just found the results on YouTube... http://youtu.be/iVjP0MwRQmA

I was the one driving the chase car and shouting "STOP!" into the CB when I saw the smoke.  We later discovered a hole on #2 piston the size of a penny!

Another top-tip if you do a club meet overseas (I have done dozens) is to get a CB in each car.  You can see why in the video.  A good rig costs less than £100 and you can plug it into the cigarette lighter and take it out when you get home.

• Like 1

It would take longer but I would use a trailer, same as I do for bike track days, then if I do have a failure I can still get back.

Agree with CB - we use hand held units when we meet up for enduro's

That price was with a private recovery firm, RAC didn't want to know.  As seen in the video, we were busy removing all the aftermarket parts while waiting for the RAC (or ADAC acting for them) as there was a real risk he would never see the car again.

• 5 months later...