What have you done to your Subaru today ?

stants

Been to Halfords in Plymouth today and got a magnetic dab aerial as the windscreen one is naff. Works a treat too. Soc discount card caused fun but they processed it (gave me too much discount though lol).

Nice to have dab with no fading.

Cheers

Alan

Got the joys of musical theatre to endure this afternoon for the sake of family happiness.....

....my compensation, a quick turn and burn to Newcastle and back in the Outback  :D

Subaru dealer have said my wife's car is broke because she doesn't rag it from time to time, which is cobblers. They've said that if driven with economy in mind then this can cause the problem, they've based this on 2 cars nationally that have this problem, so clearly my wife and this other person (incidentally at the same dealership) must be the ONLY 2 people in the uk that drive their diesel and get 50mpg everyone else doesn't have this problem because they don't drive that way, not sure I but that as an excuse. Also when doing a fluid flush is it usual to strip down the engine to its component parts, seems a bit overkill for an engine flush? Wondering if there's a hidden piston issue which warranted the change to nickel coated pistons that the 2014 car has, my wife's being a 2013 version, hers did burn some oil early on.

I`m fitting.....well, not exactly fitting as it just plugs in......an OBD II vehicle tracker, track via mobile phone, text or Google maps... and t`internet. Got the phone bit sorted, just on with the web service part.

Sounds a bit flash, that [emoji41]

Sounds a bit flash, that [emoji41]

Not really, it just plugs into the OBD port which means it can be moved from one vehicle to another. I know they`re probably not easy to pinch but if it ever did happen I can even cut the engine from any web browser.

All for less than £50 B)

Its a Subaru XV diesel. I have one too but it runs much smoother and has more torque than hers with the "same" engine. I'm taking her car into dealership Saturday, they actually told her she needs to drive at 3000rpm more often, it has a light to tell you when to change gear and it flashes at 1700. 3000rpm in a diesel is giving it some beans

Its a Subaru XV diesel. I have one too but it runs much smoother and has more torque than hers with the "same" engine. I'm taking her car into dealership Saturday, they actually told her she needs to drive at 3000rpm more often, it has a light to tell you when to change gear and it flashes at 1700. 3000rpm in a diesel is giving it some beans

Perhaps you need to switch cars with her every month :) 

It does surprise me they said that...but then again I've never had a car I didn't take over 3k frequently. Even my Pug309D work horse went over that every time I took it out.

Oh no, not take it over 3000 occasionally, we do that already, they're on about running over 3000 for sustained periods of time not a rapid acceleration. They're on about 5-10 mins constant once a week! The car had a problem from day one, was probe to stalling under 1300r so you'd go round a tight bend in say third, start to accelerate and it'd cough an stall, I think this is the same issue but they won't have it. Wife is starting to lean towards this being her first and last subaru

Thats not good at all. Is this something to do with this diesel particulate thing i've read about then?

Bit disappointing from the main dealer though. Seems a cop out more than anything. If it was that then surely they could fix it and it wouldn't be a constant issue?

Cheers

Malan

Yeah, sounds suspiciously like your DPF may be clogged mate - what they are effectively asking you to do is a 'forced regeneration' - it needs high engine revs for that length of time to generate the heat required.

Get back there and tell them you want the DPF filter changed under warranty

Yeah, sounds suspiciously like your DPF may be clogged mate - what they are effectively asking you to do is a 'forced regeneration' - it needs high engine revs for that length of time to generate the heat required.

Get back there and tell them you want the DPF filter changed under warranty

Nope, nothing to do with DPF, you'd have warning lights if there was even a slight clogging of the DPF, they reckon its carbon build up in the valves. But I would have thought that carbon build up in the engine would cause a DPF problem. Our cars not even in the garage yet because we're waiting for the other forester to get sorted first. They did a flush on the engine but they completely dismantled the engine right down to removing the piston rings as part of the engine flush. Really?

I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but I can't help feeling this is the same problem they had with the earlier Euro5 engine but would rather say its our driving style and that because they're a caring dealer they'll sort it for us. Since when do you take out the pistons for an engine flush?

I've been in touch with them and it's going in tomorrow to get sorted. Will be with them most of next week, again I say a week for an engine flush?

I think your last point sums it up well - just make sure you get an invoice which details everything they do, item by item. You may well need that info for future

That's a complete engine rebuild for just an engine flush? Never heard that before! Sounds more like they are replacing something but not making an issue as it would probably lead to a huge recall and resulting bad press etc

We reckon its piston rings there's a class action suit in the US over faulty rings. I spoke to out neighbour who's a tech for Audi and he says that, what we're being told is, and I quote "bo!!@cks" he says its a cover up for a known fault. The only thing affected by how you drive is the particulate filter.