Outback or Forester ? Advice required if poss please.

Simmo1111

Hello everyone,

My first post here and I'm seeking advice with regard to Subarus.

Next year I have decided to treat myself to a new car and I hopefully have it narrowed down to 3 makes. Subaru, Honda or Mitsubishi. I do quite a bit of driving on uneven country lanes full of potholes/lumps etc and it's knocking the hell out of the suspension on my current car. I also have to park on some rough verges where the ground clearance is currently a problem (I drive a Honda Accord at the moment) my preferred choices for my replacement car are currently - Outback, Forester, CRV or a Mitsubishi Outlander. My thoughts were drifting towards Subaru because of the AWD system as I live in an area with plenty of hills so it would also be nice to have something which will cope with decent amounts of snow.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts with regard to which model may be better for my needs, I would probably be able to afford a 2009 model (diesel). I was a bit concerned when I read that Subaru make a very good vehicle but if they do break down they tend to do so expensively so any thoughts on that would be good.

You are more than welcome to chip in with thoughts about the CRV/Outlander if you have any experience of those too.

Thanks very much.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

Newbie myself, but I've had Subaru for last 12 years, 2.0 Forester All Weather,(it's all in the name), 2003 3.0 Outback, Forester 2.5 XTEN, 2006 3.0 Outback, 2011 2.5 Outback, 2006 3.0 Tribeca, and now onto a 2006 3.0 Legacy Spec B, all petrol for me.

NEVER been stuck in snow,12-18" not a problem. Once pulled a guy off his drive in only 3" of snow as his Audi 4 couldn't even reverse off his drive, and it was level !!

Depends if you need the extra size of an Outback over a Forester, but diesel if you're doing mileage of any sort.

Used to drive a 2006 Honda CRV as Response Paramedic, but it wasn't full-time AWD, and had some scary times driving to emergencies in only 1 or 2" of snow, no way I would pick Honda over Subaru, especially if you live where there are hills !!.

Any car can have a problem but in all the years of having Subaru's I've had to replace 1 alternator, that's it, other than normal service parts.

Did think of having a Outlander in 2006, but wasn't convinced of the capabilities of the 4x4 so stuck with what I knew worked well.

Just have a good look around and check out You Tube for 'Subaru's in the snow', and 'hill start' comparisons and you'll be convinced.

Good luck

forester vote fore me here, 

how many miles do you cover a year ? if not a great deal and used for short trips i'd go petrol as there seem to be a few people with dpf issues, (same of any diesel)

as for parts yes they are expensive if you only use main dealer, theres been a couple of times when i've had to put the phone down due to laughing so hard whilst talking to them, but the internet is a brilliant place to get replacement bits and there are loads of companies that specialize in jap/subaru parts 

as your in sheffield, may be worth giving Martin a ring down at sheffield subaru sdervices to give you and idea of service costings and what not, great independent with a wealth of knowledge and good bloke to boot

forester vote fore me here,

how many miles do you cover a year ? if not a great deal and used for short trips i'd go petrol as there seem to be a few people with dpf issues, (same of any diesel)

as for parts yes they are expensive if you only use main dealer, theres been a couple of times when i've had to put the phone down due to laughing so hard whilst talking to them, but the internet is a brilliant place to get replacement bits and there are loads of companies that specialize in jap/subaru parts

as your in sheffield, may be worth giving Martin a ring down at sheffield subaru sdervices to give you and idea of service costings and what not, great independent with a wealth of knowledge and good bloke to boot

Thanks for that .. I would normally do maybe 10K per year, most of which would be regular runs of something in the region of 13 mile each way trips. I do coastal runs of c100 miles now and again but not very often.