Engine internals

Youngy

As above what is the max power you can put through standard internals of a 99 uk 2000 because and done my first track session today and although I loved every second the car was not powerful enough so what sort of power would this lot add up to 

full decat straight through system 

td05 or vf23 (let me know why a is better)

pink injectors 

fmic

better fuel pump 

remap 

thanks 

350 max your box will give out first 

td05 are old turbos now , good if you get a rebuilt one 

vf23 good turbo ! Vf28 is hardcore for track use , the existing td04 gives loads of spool when mapped and can take punishment 

but with tracks 

your brakes need to be **** hot and take a lot of punishment 

suspension .... Need to be tight like a tiger , nothing worse than loosing power in the bends from body roll or trying get back to a nice line 

then weight and what drains your engine , ditch the ac for one ! 

• Like 1

Thanks for all that I must say going through some of the bends the !Removed! was a bit wobbly but if I was going to replace the gearbox what could I replace it with coz 1st is a little whiny already 

I was thinking already to get rid of the ac but I will look out for a vf28 then 

but I'm having a little trouble with the mapping (that's if it's been done)and boost ATM coz I pipe was leaking from the actuator and it was boosting at 23-24 psi but I thought they cut out at about 16psi 

I think the main weakness is the casing. 350ftlb starts to force the gears out of line and either rips teeth or blows the casing. You can also buy strengthening plates for the sides but they are expensive for what they are.

There's definitely a big difference in size from a ty52 5 speed to a 6 speed 2d1a05726fcdfccc65b299d803b3f5ed.jpg

Think you can work out which is which lol.

Classic UK'S and wrx's don't come with forged pistons and have less agressive cams than the classic sti's. generally most mappers will only map them to 320/330 ,so a 6 speed is probably a bit overkill imo at that level of tune but I did strip 3rd gear in my v3 uk 5 speed at about 330hp.

If you intend on doing a lot of track days look into a sump baffle as scoobs can suffer from oil starvation or oil surge when pushed hard for long periods of time in the twisties.

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

Thanks for all that info but at that cost I will keep my gearbox for know but Iv decided I want the power around the 330 mark but the brakes are definitely one of the first thins I'm upgrading 

Gearbox wise alot depends on how you drive it, i killed a 5 speed on the isle of man at 280bhp (cant remember what the torque was at the time) and track work will not be easy on it. PPG, Albins or similar will do the job or a 6 speed as mentioned. Word of warning with the 6 speed is it adds alot of weight, 50-60kg iirc

As well as the above mentioned items worth looking at oil cooling as well, after market kit (mocal or similar), make sure its thermostatically controlled though. Also i'd look at sacking off the standard ecu and chucking a syvecs on it. Not cheap, but much more capable ecu, plus when you come to sell it on will hold alot of its value. Will need to sack the MAF as well (syvecs will do that anyway)

Just a note - if you do run MAF less the car can run rich lower down in the rev range as there is no flow input for the ECU - fine for the track but everyday driving your MPG will suffer.

Echo what has been said earlier in the post look at power to weight ratio's, chassis and brake mods - It cost nothing to unbolt things and remove them from your car back seat etc

Syvecs is an excellent ECU, there are other alternatives eg ESL which cost less but the 99/00 option hasn't been released yet so dependant on the year of your car is that may not be an option.

Another thread was discussing power loss through the transmission from the engine to the tarmac - this highlights the impact of lower quality oils, worn gears, bearings and linkages can have. So ensure you have a good platform for tuning before you look at increasing power as the mods you make may just get it back to what it was as standard from new .

What ever you decide though keep us posted and if you want some food for thought check out either Savages or Matts threads in the project sections both have increases in power and control but with different approaches  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Just a note - if you do run MAF less the car can run rich lower down in the rev range as there is no flow input for the ECU - fine for the track but everyday driving your MPG will suffer.

Who told you that?

iv just been looking into the eculab remap and it looks good so when I have put the new turbo and other bits on I will go get it done but thanks everyone for the info coz I really haven't got a clue about these cars

Who told you that?

We covered it on the ESL mapping course

I think thats probably why all marques of turbo cars have a maf when they leave the factory and I'm sure they wouldn't have them fitted if it wasn't needed, as it would save them a fortune [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1