First timer. Hawkeye blew up on way home

Owen369

ej20 can be sleeved that size but it not common route due to cost & hassle over sourcing a ej257 short block .
Would be concerned on what getting as don't seem know too much so how good are the pistons ! 
If stay cheap say £150 they might be worth a gamble, you got add new rings to cost,
I would get some good images of skirts & crowns & image with measures too .If in doubt or bids go high go new as not worth messing about for couple hundred quid .

I bought my forged Mahle pistons from here

http://www.advancedautomotives.com/index.asp?function=search

Think mine were about £530 for my ej20 cdb but they are the 750 hp rated ones and I think the 450hp ones are a bit cheaper .

Once you've checked the deck height and piston "bowl" cc I just spoke to their tech support about tolerances for rings and head gasket thickness required.

I'd recommend getting cossie or rcm "stopper" headgaskets .as they have a virtron rubber coating that helps them not to blow between cylinder bore and coolant ports .

I bought almost everything for my build from either advanced automotive or import car parts but give them a ring and talk to them . As they don't list everything on their websites and they'll do a fair discount if you bulk buy over the phone [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Many manyyyy thanks for support and advice guys. Not going to bother with the pistons. New ring set for mine just to get it back on road. Go down forge road when Enginee is next out [emoji85] savage bulldogs [emoji108]im on to advanced they sorting me prices for tomorrow.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

cometic gaskets are also very good value for standard rebuild, rubber coated & better stopper design in recent years.
most of your regular mentioned parts outlets deal/stock cometic head sets & block sets..
I also see new ej257 short blocks are available reduced at 1,750 ...

8 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

Given the common ringland failure seems to be a good idea to sack them off and get a decent set while its apart

100% with you on that one mate, this is what I pulled outta my 2.5, didn't do the head many favours that's for sure !!

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Piggysniffer said:

100% with you on that one mate, this is what I pulled outta my 2.5, didn't do the head many favours that's for sure !!

image.jpeg

that looks more like it detted its **** off rather than ring land failure

most of those marks will be impact damage from debris as piston cycling, can ruin a good head too ...
Set of forged good way go & not overly costly, standards if A1 & bore A1 can be fine for budget standard build (only saving potentially£350) but good RR check & breather improvement would be a must . Lean running heat & det soon kills 1st cast piston ringland .

• Like 1

ae88f274f0afa8ab1283041d97312e6e.jpg

This is were im at. Checking pistons tonight. Like to go for some new pistons but looking 400-500 for forge pistons. Trying to order bits. Chap with heads not answering fone or messaging back. Feel like i keep hitting brick wall with the thing

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I know it's blo-ody hard when your on a budget, and £500 for a set of Pistons ain't to be sniffed at, but if the bores are within limits and are good I would really try and fork out for some, or else check Pistons, chuck it back together, get a few thousand miles on it to make sure it's all ok and then drag it out and put some in, your be looking at new head gaskets, studs maybe, etc, hard to make a decision I spose, it's just that the Pistons really are/can be a big problem on these engines

Get your heads reviewed for line honing and surface refinishing .
You going spend £100 on rings so it only £350 more for forge pistons complete with new rings & pins too. Rods fine if staying stock or close to .
want be sure bores A1 or will need oversize anyway, standard cast crack easy even with minimal det so forged pistons is good investment at any build level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr B said:

most of those marks will be impact damage from debris as piston cycling, can ruin a good head too ...
Set of forged good way go & not overly costly, standards if A1 & bore A1 can be fine for budget standard build (only saving potentially£350) but good RR check & breather improvement would be a must . Lean running heat & det soon kills 1st cast piston ringland .

Rods are good for around 400, where as you can push it to a safe 450 if you do them as well. While its apart it makes sence to do em at the same time if budget allows.

450bhp 2.5 makes a cracking drive ;)

As he only wants standard power or close to & budget tight I can't see him wanting go rods.
Does make sense do it all in one hit when can & aiming well into 400s, ej25 rods & lower oiling are not the worst produced & with no max rpm increase they will handle 400+, biggest load on rod is not from combustion hp but from directional load at bottom of stroke, lighter pistons & sensible rpm keeps loads sensible .

Pistons on other hand are real gamble even at light tuning .

19 minutes ago, Owen369 said:

£465 for pistons as you are all pushing me into it have to start selling my body at this rate. Are RCM head gaskets good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick a pic of your a-ss up, we'll see if we can help you out hahaga