First timer. Hawkeye blew up on way home

Owen369

Hi mr b. New heads is the way im going from southwest__subaru he on facebook got 2 as new re-worked heads for £500. May send mine in do know a good machine shop local to be fair. Just about to start stripping an splitting the block as im this far in may aswell go the whole nine yards. Many thanks for the information though much appreciated

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Debris scoring mixed with lucubration issues (oil gallery head restrictor partially block or contaminated oil) & excessive head heat probably.

Once get some scoring & deforming in the cam journal bearing well the cam journal starts drag & wear rate increases drastically,

Excessive head heat softens the alloy, also reduces clearances worsening journal drag .

Line honing the head bearing bores works well when damage not to deep, is possible polish cam journals if not too bad but for best assembled clearance new cams & lining honing or just polishing head bearing wells works best & is not silly money either .

If heads test good in all other ways it works out better do mirror finish skim & rework cam bearings & valves so better spec than new or used (Do need good reputable or proven machine shop for the work as lot of your run of mill engine machine shops are simply not good enough in surface tolerances & finish)

If scoring real deep, head got cracks or been skimmed to limits already then it time junk it .

• Like 1

Block is split. Rings are no good oil past oil rings. Shells ok but will replace. Trying to order bits. Ie shells. Full gasket kit. Ect but having problems been told nothing listed as its a ej255 engine not a ej257. Been quoted 345 for top end gasket kit 70 for bottom. Were do you get your parts mr b?

Jeebus, I read the first bit "block is split" and I took it to mean block has a split in it, which LED me to believe that you had been royally stitched up by the seller, I then started having thoughts that really would have more than likely landed me in prison again hahaha

mr b sounds like the man to help here

ej255 ej257 are same gasket sets
icp do cometic kit, you can get a lot via blueprint which good stuff or oem . 150 to 250 should cover top end gasket required pending on whether get set or mix blueprint/OEM with specific brand HG .
I get my parts varying sources, local main dealer, local blueprint stockist & online blueprint/OEM part sellers when prices super low, Got a lot of bits off eBay too when factors shifting excess stock, use ICP at times also, cosworth HG are good, cometic newer HG are better than older design.
OEM gaskets for things such as rocker covers, valve stems, crank/cam seals etc are hard beat & hassle free (Nok are oem for lot of seals so can source from many places), we tend use oem & blueprint mainly & cosworth or cometic HG, Blueprint VR or OEM HG in more run of mill repairs .
Check out you bores well for ovaling & piston skirt & ringlands for issues, we like CP pistons for higher power mainly street use and they affordable option when standard ring/pistons shot .
Just nail down some part numbers & hunt prices, if you got family in trade then blueprint and cometic should be good prices via local motor-factors possibly.

• Like 1

Had all those thoughts piggysniffer just got to get it done and enjoy it now.

Mr B you are a good man top top information hard to get info on these subarus. Will get back on it tomorrow and let you know many many thanks [emoji108][emoji106]

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GeoffLeggy said:

Have you considered just sourcing a complete replacement engine to drop in? 

Problem there is mate, you just have no idea what your getting, at the very least with these 2.5 engines you would have to have the Pistons out to check for ringland issues just to have piece of mind

Wotcha and welcome - a real shame your first scooby experience has hit rock bottom - once you have priced up a rebuild I know a chap who rebuilds engines to various specs as a business and sells them as a whole lump (met him on the ESL tuning course) I can see if he has a 2.5 lump on his shelf and what that would cost as a comparison?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

welcome to the world of properly built engines. to give it some context mine was well into 5 figures.

I have no doubt about it, Im under no illusions.  My shock would be if Owen369 wants to pay £10k+ for ANY type of engine. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GeoffLeggy said:

I have no doubt about it, Im under no illusions.  My shock would be if Owen369 wants to pay £10k+ for ANY type of engine. 

Aye, to be fair mine wasnt exactly built to run standard power haha

they should be ones .
Want know what size they are, standard or oversize ??
would need work out compression too as don't build an engine without doing so to a specific comp ratio goal .
Price in set of rings at say £120 .

Have you got the new block yet and if so I'd measure the bores for ovality and taper to determine if it just needs a hone or a 0.5mm over bore .

Otherwise you might end up buying standard sized pistons that won't fit in a over bored block .

Mr b is right about checking the piston bowl cc as if it differs from the standard piston crown you'll have to adjust the headgasket thickness to get the ideal 8.5.1 compression ratio .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Chap saying pistons are out of a ej20 engine with ej25 liners.

Savage bulldogs. No using my block as is all sweet still just the top end thats gone heads ect just doing rings and bottom end while its apart try and make it last more than 60miles [emoji106][emoji25]