Forester 2.0 petrol any good?

Mdon

Hi,

im looking for a decent 4x4 run around to take me to work and to ferry my 2 year old daughter around in. My wife is pushing towards a Hyundai Tucson diesel but I've found 3 foresters within a few miles, all lowish mileage (highest is 84k). All 2.0 petrels (I've heard about the diesel issues so want to stay clear of them) I've tried searching for common issues but it only returns diesel problems generally.

any advice would be gratefully recieved.

cheers.

mike. 

Wotcha and welcome - obviously we are ever so slightly biased on here but the petrol Fozzy is a great motor - the STI version even better :biggrin:

Given your location have you considered an Outback? More estate than SUV?

Had a 54 reg Forester All Weather auto, with all the toys, and it was a fantastic car, and the green suited it best IMHO. Not a spot of bother with it, other than highish road tax, which is why it was eventually traded in for a Citroen diesel at £30 a year, and not brilliant fuel consumption (heavy right foot and town driving). Superb in the snow, even without the low ratio as fitted on the manual. Just don't buy one previously owned by a farmer!!!

Thanks.

last couple of questions, what age did they fix isofix?  Two of the foresters are the facelift (56 plate and 08) however I've found a couple of decent ones that are 2004 low mileage. Will they have isofix? Just asking as my little girls current seat costed a fortune and is isofix only.

second is self levelling suspension, does it give any issues on a non tow bar fitted car, so hopefully it hasn't been used for towing anything heavy. The 2004 has it listed as a feature however the 2007&2008 ones don't.

cheers.

Hi Mike , '

lve got an 06 2.0x , 47k. All I can say is excellent , bit heavy on juice around town , but reliable and plenty quick enough for school run.few niggles but nothing major for 10 yr old , of course the dreaded cruise lights a pain , but bought me a meter so I check it each time it comes on and erase the light if no codes ( never has been ).

Hope this helps , regards Mick.

Isofix was fitted around 03/04 I believe, not seen any sf's with it bit I know the sg's had it, Mr b will be best person to ask,

The sls is a pain in the !Removed! literally, Easiest way to check the car is still OK is visually, if it looks like a dog squatting on level ground it's not good, alternatively of you go view any foz, stick your hand on the rear arch lip and lift it up if it falls back and sags loads then the suspension is shot.

Not a big issue if it's knackered, pedders do bolt in standard shocks and springs that bolt straight up, and you can get custom spring and kyb shocks for same price,

If you see a car that you like and it looks saggy knock 300 quid off the price, if they refuse walk away !

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If doing short trips you don't want a diesel full stop really .
You need do a lot of annual mileage see real savings .

The 2.0L pertol tends pay you back on fuel by lower service cost & fact it super reliable .
Sticking with 2003 to 2005 could be wise to help potential risk of future road tax changes etc and less ellectronic hassles .

The 2.0L petrol forester is superb, SF forester being best rugged long life vehicles subaru ever made.
I prefer the early SF shape over SG & revision SG.
On SG check rear arches righ up into turret and front edge to sill as rot easy due to thinner metal over the early SF (reduced weight) rear subframe needs looking at too & front wishbones for rust.
Early SG like 2004-2005 will be fine & most important thing is buying good example which not worked hard.
Be sure buy All Weather model as worth it long term . Auto is okay and generally find cleaner bargains are always autos .
Rear SLS suspension not major concern, replacing with KYB struts is cheap . Parts in general are CHEAP .
Reliability is exceptional if take time buy a good one .
Red green and silver is best colours, silver most forgiving & looks nice with black or chrome protection trimming .
They a good buy, super versatile and good at everything plus demand always high so easy sell on in future .

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr B said:

If doing short trips you don't want a diesel full stop really .
You need do a lot of annual mileage see real savings .

The 2.0L pertol tends pay you back on fuel by lower service cost & fact it super reliable .
Sticking with 2003 to 2005 could be wise to help potential risk of future road tax changes etc and less ellectronic hassles .

The 2.0L petrol forester is superb, SF forester being best rugged long life vehicles subaru ever made.
I prefer the early SF shape over SG & revision SG.
On SG check rear arches righ up into turret and front edge to sill as rot easy due to thinner metal over the early SF (reduced weight) rear subframe needs looking at too & front wishbones for rust.
Early SG like 2004-2005 will be fine & most important thing is buying good example which not worked hard.
Be sure buy All Weather model as worth it long term . Auto is okay and generally find cleaner bargains are always autos .
Rear SLS suspension not major concern, replacing with KYB struts is cheap . Parts in general are CHEAP .
Reliability is exceptional if take time buy a good one .
Red green and silver is best colours, silver most forgiving & looks nice with black or chrome protection trimming .
They a good buy, super versatile and good at everything plus demand always high so easy sell on in future .

Thanks for the reply. So far I've found 4 that look decent.

A 53 plate 2.0 X in red with 63k 1 owner. Looks tidy. £3k

There's a 04 plate same spec in green 2 owners also 63k. This had an advisory last year for corrosion on rear sub frame and rear vehicle structure but not seriously weakened. It's been re MOT'd in September 16 with no advisories £3.2k

56 plate 2.0 X in silver with 85k FSH, he will do the timing belt for me and is listed as must see excellent condition £4.5k

08 plate XC in silver with 84k full Subaru service history bar one, timing belt at 65k 1 owner £4K. He's this one in for a few months by the looks of it. It's been reduced compared to other adverts he has for it.

They all look tidy. The problem is that they are all in different directions so can't see them all, which would you go to see I have the day free tomorrow so could potentially see two of them. 

Also so what age ranges are SF & SG variants? And how do I know what a all weather pack is? The 04 plate has it listed as having it.

cheers.

mike.

All weather pack is essentially front fogs, heated seats and sunroof. Sf is upto and incl 2002; sg was late 2002 to 2008/9.

08 plate sounds good if you have 4K...always offer less though [emoji6]

Full history, belt done, 1 owner, in a few months....all good news for you [emoji106]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

I prefer early ones .

all weather also includes front screen wiper heater, they also tend get other useful extras such as headlight lens protectors, mud guards, boot liner rear bumper guard, coloured trim & alloys .

Don't bother with one with corrosion advisory . Lot of people are crazy on year, chasing what newest, DON''T
Old is gold, the 2003 to 2005 is best of the SG range .
2004 sounds best bet but look it over real well .
SG looks good in the red colour too. £3K is top money but you should be able knock couple hundred off that minimum, getting closer to winter so demand on these gets high .
If it really good order it will last for years & be no hassle with bit of basic care, good engine oil changed regular & rear subframe area wax oiled along with arches wax injected & arch well stone guarded will see it through for years .They real easy drive & super manoeuvrable with good visibility (easier park than a tiny 206 hatchback) .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr B said:

I prefer early ones .

all weather also includes front screen wiper heater, they also tend get other useful extras such as headlight lens protectors, mud guards, boot liner rear bumper guard, coloured trim & alloys .

Don't bother with one with corrosion advisory . Lot of people are crazy on year, chasing what newest, DON''T
Old is gold, the 2003 to 2005 is best of the SG range .
2004 sounds best bet but look it over real well .
SG looks good in the red colour too. £3K is top money but you should be able knock couple hundred off that minimum, getting closer to winter so demand on these gets high .
If it really good order it will last for years & be no hassle with bit of basic care, good engine oil changed regular & rear subframe area wax oiled along with arches wax injected & arch well stone guarded will see it through for years .They real easy drive & super manoeuvrable with good visibility (easier park than a tiny 206 hatchback) .

Thanks for the advice. The one with the corrosion advisory from December 15 has come back to say they've already put a new timing belt on it, a full service and they've checked the subframe and it's all good apparently. They've just MOTd it on the 27th September and it has a clean sheet. I think that's the one I want to go and look at tbh. It looks the best and the garage seems above board. 

Have a look at it but check that rear end visually yourself, sales garages are full of !Removed! so I never trust them, MOT's vary a lot in opinion so look yourself as subframe and rear arch area is known issue on some and potentially expensive. waxoil is best treatment on rear ends if scaly & dry but still solid .
Have a good torch handy on knock and press on the inner arches right up into the turret and inner section down where meets sill .
They rot from inside and can look reasonably normal from outside ...
Hopefully can see it on ramp .Keep eye out for oil leaks,
even tyre wear, front nearside wing arch & rear arches get scraped alot, also look at bumper fitment & panel alignment for clues it been knocked about .

• Like 1

Bought my partner a 2.0 XE petrol auto Forester 3 years ago. She absolutely loves it and so do I. 100% reliable, go anywhere vehicle and when it snowed 2 years ago it got us everywhere with no fuss. Totally bombproof and great engineering. Considering buying a new one we are so pleased with it and can't recommend highly enough

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help fellas. I've been to see it today and there's very minor dry surface rust in one rear turret. Other than that it's in really good condition. So I bought it. I'm currently stopped for a spot of lunch on the M74 in it. 

• Like 1

Treat rust quick as if left it gets bad quick.

Waxoil best on subframe and inner injection of arches, shocks best removed and turrets cleaned and zinc primed followed by good coat of decent stone guard schultz .

Best of luck with your new Fozzy, hope you & family love it ...